Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,972,805 times

Advertisements

You spent a lot of space saying what you dont like, what do you want, just Mexican non Mariachi stuff? Look at Warehouse live or the mucky duck. There are a number of restauants have live jazz and such. I think you need to get out more, the Houston Press has a number of styles, I think there is a spanish version that may have more of what you are seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 AM

102 posts, read 326,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
also, instead of just saying "there are venues for this and that" could you possibly list any of these venues?

I've lived in Houston my entire life and I've yet to see such a wide assortment of venues here as you do in other large cities.
You still haven't told us what you want to hear.... how can we recommend a venue????? There are salsa clubs (lots of them) that have live salsa bands literally every night of the week. I don't do salsa and I'm not hispanic, so I can't give you names. Many of my friends work in salsa bands and make their living in Houston doing that.

I think you clarified something here; you have lived in Houston your whole life, yet you think the live music scene is bad here. It's usually people that have never lived anywhere else that think this.

This is the information age.... google what you're looking for, or search myspace or something, find a group you like, then find out where they're playing. Any venue may have something you like one night and something you hate the next.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,943,657 times
Gosh, there are so many bands playing on any given night it's ridiculous, I wish I could see half of them. I follow some of the music writers for the Houston Press, that's generally where I get my info. Refreshing? Try The Ton Tons or Tyagaraja, or Peekaboo Theory or The Buxtons. Runaway Sun is one of my faves locally...bluesy/folksy rock. Snakecharmers are not bad. Mangos has some good bands, Avant Garden, Continental, House of Blues, and Warehouse Live for bigger bands.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,154,946 times
Quote:
Well contrary to what seems to be your belief I have been to a lot of places with music in Houston. That is actually how I came to make my judgement.

It's not like this city is just full of hidden, small and intimate music venues. I've lived here my entire life and I know that it certainly isn't.
Well, if you read anymore into what I said, then you would know that I meant exploring your own tastes. Doy.

Music isn't about finding your niche and sticking with it.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM

105 posts, read 265,832 times
There are some live jazz clubs downtown. Overall it's a pretty weak music scene around here though.

Quote:
Is there anything refreshing in Houston's live music scene?

So far, it has been very hard to find anything interesting for me.

I don't want to go to any stadium or theater or anything large. I'm looking for some good, informal/semi-formal live music in a smaller place that is decent, and perhaps new.

I am really not interested in Christmas songs or Bach so I will skip the symphony. Little places like Super Happy Funland and Walter's on Washington are more for teenagers with garage bands. It seems like most of the jazz places here play stuff that you would hear in an elevator. I'm definitely not into the local rap scene.

A lot of bars that actually have live music seem to just have some generic, cheap cover band playing something like Kiss songs. Some places have local aging hippies with pyschedelic blues but I can't say I'm into that.

One of the more interesting things to me was the live country music at Hickory Hollow on the weekends. Anyone know anything about some good, old time country? I would hope that Houston would still have some kind of community for that.

Also, some good live Mexican music would be cool, but not some mariachis at a Mexican restaurant. It seems most Mexicans here are from the north and I know they have different music than that.

Houston definitely doesn't seem to have much good musical entertainment to me, which is really sad. Do you have any experiences with this? Any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: