Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

If Sugar Land is so great, why did its namesake leave?

I tend to agree with Mr. Football on this. I suppose if The Woodlands were actually an incorporated city, they'd be ahead of Sugar Land by a mile or two.

The wooded green spaces of Spring, The Woodlands, Klein, Kingwood, Cypress, et al are much more conducive to a toplist of small towns in which to live.

Don't get me wrong, Sugar Land has its place--it is a nifty little city and has a neat history to it (which hopefully will be well preserved in the years to come)...I just don't know if it truly earns a #3 spot on any list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times
Why did the sugarl company leave? IT went out of business... Many sugar refineries closed the same year.. . even the one in Kauai which was the main employer of the island... The SUgar businesses changed.

All sugar refineries in USA went out of business... Corn syrup is cheaper... I prefer the taste of refined sugar cane over corn syrup. That is why. Sugarland is no longer sugarland.. its become a burb.

but it is closer to Houston than the Woodlands or it seems to be. Woodlands is just too artificial for me. Never got over that image. Kingwood is just a misfit place in the middle of acres of trailer houses around Humble..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
If Sugar Land is so great, why did its namesake leave?

I tend to agree with Mr. Football on this. I suppose if The Woodlands were actually an incorporated city, they'd be ahead of Sugar Land by a mile or two.

The wooded green spaces of Spring, The Woodlands, Klein, Kingwood, Cypress, et al are much more conducive to a toplist of small towns in which to live.

Don't get me wrong, Sugar Land has its place--it is a nifty little city and has a neat history to it (which hopefully will be well preserved in the years to come)...I just don't know if it truly earns a #3 spot on any list.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
Artificial? You live in Houston. WTF are you smoking?

Kingwood in the midst of acres of trailer houses? You live in Houston, surrounded by acres of crack houses.

If you don't understand the lure or the appeal of the burbs, you probably haven't raised your own children. Raising children requires a safe environment, room to run, and good schools. For every jackass that moans about suburban sprawl and the right of the city to suck every penny it can from the suburb like a feudalistic lord, I'll say that the city wouldn't have all of the nice Fortune 500 companies, gleaming skyscrapers, and healthy corporate tax base if it weren't for those attractive suburbs and the educated, suburbanites who make those companies work.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 05-20-2007 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Drug crime is 60% in the burbs.. only 40% in the inner city.... Times have changed.. Read the crime stats. Remember the Kingwood drill team girls who robbed da doughnut shop iwth automatic rifles... charming!

There is an old Chinese proverb... " a bed in the city is better than a palace in the countryside"

attractive suburbs? you mean Plan 1 - plan 4 (your choice of 3 bricks on the outside?) that attractive? Hehehehe... Cul De sacs are known as neighborhood cultural incest. You can't get out of the circle LOL ONe street OUT! Same mindset, no creativity, latchkey teens who buy drugs over the internet because mom and dad are commuting home 2 hrs each way . Kids are clueless what their parents do!

Lots of those employees at the fortune 500 live in the loop and in lofts, midrises and highrises.
Each is like a small city to its own.. The new luxury Hi rises have their own olympic pool, spa, stores, salons, athletic centers... community centers inside one building. All they haveto do is hop skip and jump to work. Gas prices? Hehehehe.. We keep cars for 10 yrs and still have under 100,000 miles.

Now many are taking two hi rise condos in the older ones and combining two to be up to 4,000 sq ft.

Inner Loop is way cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post

Kingwood in the midst of acres of trailer houses? You live in Houston, surrounded by acres of crack houses.

If you don't understand the lure or the appeal of the burbs, you probably haven't raised your own children. Raising children requires a safe environment, room to run, and good schools. For every jackass that moans about suburban sprawl and the right of the city to suck every penny it can from the suburb like a feudalistic lord, I'll say that the city wouldn't have all of the nice Fortune 500 companies, gleaming skyscrapers, and healthy corporate tax base if it weren't for those attractive suburbs and the educated, suburbanites who make those companies work.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM

I remember my one... count them ONE trip to Kingwood. We missed the exit and the next exit took us straight into the land of trailer parks and the on site location for the Texas Chain Saw Massacre Hehehehe... it took 30 minutes late at night to find our way back to the exit to Kingwood... Our of a reunion which usually 50 people usually meet, only 4 of us showed up.. and two of us got lost! And most of us got nose bleeds when we went through the Kingwood entrance. No one wanted to go there.

We never went to another party there again. Its always our shampoo day when we get invites to Kingwood.

If you are interested I could tell you the story of a gang of Kingwood that went around fire bombing cars... and the sheriffs office finally found out who the kids were... if you want to know... just ask

Got to love those Kingwood kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post

Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 AM

35 posts, read 86,791 times
So.

I was finally able to get you all talking.

Yetti0 as far as drug crime goes I am with you and I'm in AZ. I think so much emphasis is placed on violent crime (for good reason) but under the surface the burbs are teeming with illicit activity. When I went to an affluent (at that time) high school in Mesa I went to sooooo many parties where drugs were rampant and we're not just talking weed. This was before the crack era too so you can imagine that it wasn't the "hood" kids that were toting this stuff around. Oh and don't even get me started on Meth and Ecstasy. That's our best kept secret out here. Still even then I think when it's a legislator's kid or the school board member he/she is not going to get drug (no pun intended) through the media as an example. Hell they have YouTube and myspace for that now.

Still it's just common sense. You have the money you'll have the access. That's why the "War on Drugs" was hilarious and OHHH by the way how is that going? Isn't it almost 20 years?? Yet I digress.

Mr. Football I hear you and understand what you mean. I was laughing when I saw the CNN Money listing since they have Scottsdale, AZ as #7 (their chamber of commerce must have paid the 7th highest to make the list). Now I have lived in AZ all my life and have never, EVER wanted to live in Scottsdale. If you all care it's too uppity for me. You talk about the big house with the whole family hovering around a candle at night. . . . LOL. Sh........ Yeah they have "fancier" malls (if you can say that), yeah they have higher end restaurants, yeah they have a artificially higher property values. But that is changing now as more and more people are moving to the edges of the growth.
In all reality Gilbert, AZ is becoming more popular and more affordable to boot.

Don't get me wrong Scottsdale has alot of NICE houses, shopping if that is your bag and some high income folks but if you could take a real survey of what those folks have in their accounts you might find it less than to be desired (remember the national household savings rate for 2006 was 0.8% of our disposable income per BusinessWeek). Most people who move over here (and it's growing) are looking to the outskirts to get more house for their $$$$ and there is no culture to speak of. Just more repetitive strip malls. So in a sense Scottsdale has some of the "history", if you could call it that, left.

Anyhow I found it interesting and I wanted to post to see how you all felt.

My wife seems a little hesitant for us to move to Houston.

I love it (have been there 5 times in my life of 33 yrs.) and am ready to go today if we could sell our house. She is talking about San Antonio but when we went there it seemed stale and slow.

Still if I have my druthers I'm looking at Cypress, Spring, SugarLand, Pearland and/or Katy as a final destination

Oh and yeah Yetti0 I would like to hear the Kingswoods' kids and the car bombing.

Last edited by Zeta09; 05-21-2007 at 01:44 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
Why did the sugarl company leave? IT went out of business... Many sugar refineries closed the same year.. . even the one in Kauai which was the main employer of the island... The SUgar businesses changed.

All sugar refineries in USA went out of business... Corn syrup is cheaper... I prefer the taste of refined sugar cane over corn syrup. That is why. Sugarland is no longer sugarland.. its become a burb.

but it is closer to Houston than the Woodlands or it seems to be. Woodlands is just too artificial for me. Never got over that image. Kingwood is just a misfit place in the middle of acres of trailer houses around Humble..

Do you even live around here? I would think if you did you'd know Imperial Sugar is still in business.

http://www.imperialsugar.com/fw/main/home-464.html (broken link)

Imperial Sugar moved to Louisiana and merged with Dixie Crystals. They are alive and well!

There are 53 sugar companies in the U.S., according to Manta.com...please, before you start spouting off, check your facts first.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
What is appealing to you about Houston? About San Antonio? These cities are pretty different.

Mr. Football's first post gives you a pretty good breakdown of the suburbs around Houston. I don't think anyone will say Sugar Land is necessarily the best because there are several others that are just as good if not better, depending on what you're looking for. What most everyone seems to say is that when looking for a suburb, consider where you will work first. The commute can be a mutha so you want to cut down on your drive time as much as possible.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Hey, Mr. Football, I'm raising a kid in the city and so are quite a few other parents I know. I'm an artist so for me the city offers opportunities for things I want to expose her to that in living in the suburbs would be much more difficult to come by. I like to be close to museums, theaters, festivals, concerts, bookstores, and other artist friends. We live in a neat neighborhood and coupled with my friends who also live in the city we've got a nice community and have our share of backyard barbecues. It's not impossible to get those things in the city. Everyone wants to come over on the 4th of July because we have the best seats in the house! The main drawback is when she wants to play outside we have to set up playdates or go to a park because there aren't that many kids on our block and we don't have much yard here. But it's a trade-off I was willing to take for the other opportunities afforded by living in close proximity to everything. Also, I hate driving! With a passion! I know, wrong city...

Old 05-21-2007, 08:03 AM

Houstoner: I agree. After school my daughter and I often went to the zoo ... we had a family members ship... it was like our own private backyard... with a membership you come and go... and yes those parties on the balcony and BBQ are great inside the loop. When we moved back to Houston, we looked at sugarland since my spouse comes from there (yes original resident).. .but she wanted to live in the city... In the city.. the kids meet the butcher, the baker, and the candle stick maker who are usually parents or friends of the family.. Its called a villlage ... a real community.... they are not tucked away in the woods not even knowing what their parents do.

A friend of mine in the Heights was telling me and I agree you can tell when the burb people come into our cafes.... its like tourists from another country. Yet they so desire to live inside the loop...

My daugther had a luncheon iwth a British friend of hers... and he brought along a young couple who grew up in the burbs.. .the gf of the boy said.. GOSH I am sick of the burbs.. Iwish we could have individual designed houses like inside the loop and all the restaurants and fun things to do.

People come from all over the world to be in Houston... Houston is an international city with all the excitement of such... I want my child to be around a multicultural society . It teaches acceptance and tolerance.

She chose to live inside the loop instead of Sugarland and I am glad we made that choice. We were going to move to Galveston to retire, but decided to stay in the loop.

As for playmates , my daughter had so many dance classes, sporting practices, play rehearsals etc... We have a huge yard but she did not use it that much. The parks are just as good.

I grew up in the Heights... Sidewalk skating is great! We do need more sidewalks and better ones. I will make a point to email my city counsel rep again! She just loves hearing form me! I hope she realizes she has to earn her position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Hey, Mr. Football, I'm raising a kid in the city and so are quite a few other parents I know. I'm an artist so for me the city offers opportunities for things I want to expose her to that in living in the suburbs would be much more difficult to come by. I like to be close to museums, theaters, festivals, concerts, bookstores, and other artist friends. We live in a neat neighborhood and coupled with my friends who also live in the city we've got a nice community and have our share of backyard barbecues. It's not impossible to get those things in the city. Everyone wants to come over on the 4th of July because we have the best seats in the house! The main drawback is when she wants to play outside we have to set up playdates or go to a park because there aren't that many kids on our block and we don't have much yard here. But it's a trade-off I was willing to take for the other opportunities afforded by living in close proximity to everything. Also, I hate driving! With a passion! I know, wrong city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston