Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times

Advertisements

(and just last week I posted about how great Comcast was...)

Internet has been down for Comcast since Sunday. I'm at 59 & Shepherd/Greenbriar area. Not sure how large an area is affected. Seen trucks driving around.

I finally called today, since it has been over 24 hours. Got an absolute idiot of a CS rep. After explaining why I was calling, she starts by telling me to unplug my router. I told her I was calling from work, and she says to call back when I'm home. I said I know it's not my system, can she simply tell me if they are having problems or not. She finally says, "Oh, yes, I see, there is an outage in your area." DUH!

Trying to hold my temper in check, I explained this is why I didn't need to call from home, and why I don't need to unplug my router. Wouldn't do much good when the 'Net is down, would it?

She was unable to give me any info. Didn't know how long it would be down, didn't know what the problem was, didn't know anything. But if I called back when it was up, I could ask for a credit. How will I know when it's up? Keep trying, she said.

What I should have said when I was talking about Comcast in that thread last week, was not how good they are, but how good they are when you don't need to contact them for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,183 times
Oh noz my interwebz is down

Maybe look into changing to AT&T Dsl service. I would if it was offered in my area. I wanted someone to come out and check my bandwidth and maybe change my modem. So Comcast sent someone out to set me up with cable service. I don't even have their cable service only their internet service.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Comcast Internet really hasn't been very good since IKE, and nd it's really starting to hack me off. i had DSL in another location, and it's really no better. Comcast has come and worked on the lines, etc. But still there are days were smoke signals would work better. I really miss Road Runner.

But it all doesn't matter eally. 5 years from now we'll all have 10G networks on our phones, and laptops/cpu will be obsolete.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I went 3 days without internet last weekend. It's amazing how we all depend on it and take it for granted and only notice when it's gone.

What did we all do with ourselves before internet?

The dumb azz CS minimum wage clerk was actually correct. Many times by disconnecting from the router for 60 seconds the signal will magically come back. I dont know why but I know it works.

Where I used to live, because internet and cable TV was off so often, the city adopted a local by-law that says the cable company MUST pro-rate your bill by discounting each day you were without. If you lost cable and did not complain you got charged the whole month. If you did complain they would take the day or 2 off your bill. Good law just stupidly written so most consumers still get shafted.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Comcast in rubbish service shocker!

What next- Reliant are a rip off surprise?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The dumb azz CS minimum wage clerk was actually correct. Many times by disconnecting from the router for 60 seconds the signal will magically come back. I dont know why but I know it works.
I didn't make it clear. I had already done all that, and was trying to get the rep to tell me the status of the outage. I told her I'd seen the trucks driving the neighborhood, and had even stopped & talked to one, who told me they didn't have a fix time, because they hadn't even located the problem yet.

But that was 24 hours ago, and I was hoping they had a better grip on it by now. In all reality, it's a rare case where something goes down this long and they *still* have no idea why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston