Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Intercontinental is not a luxury brand in the same vein as St. Regis. It is a nice first class flag, similar to JW Marriott. We've also had one in the past (now the Sonesta).

Equinox is intriguing. Boutique brand, I would assume pretty high end. This is good for Houston and a sign we're coming up as we've been discussing. I don't know Loews.

Still, I will think the tide has turned when Ritz Carlton, W, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Park Hyatt, or Kimpton plan a Houston property.

As I've said earlier, everything will depend on whether our weekend rates can stay high. Houston was well-known for having ultra-cheap weekend rates because there was so little business.

Sometimes one big move is an initial move follows with a lot of other moves following the leader. We saw this with the River Oaks District. When it opened, we saw so many fashion brands come for the first time to Texas in general, Houston obviously (I.e. Dolce & Gabbana, NARS, etc). One of these brands was even the first in USA (John Hardy, which sincd has opened in NYC with LA soon). From that one mood, Houston has nailed nearly every major luxury fashion brand. And I'm also sure having so much luxury shopping that was missing earlier has also helped influence with the addition of all the proposed hotels and the ones already having opened. Is it a coincidence that Mitsubishi moved their headquarters to Houston after the luxury real estate boom? Which goes to what I'm saying by one move can influence a lot of moves to come. It's possible that the JW Marriott Downtown doing well influenced the Marquis which then influenced the Le Meridien and Intercontinental moving in as well as Loews and eventually others to be influenced by them.

We also saw the "initial move influencing lots of moves" effect in the airport when Air China started flights to Houston then Korean Air followed then EVA Air and ANA. Then Air New Zealand, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Intercontinental is not a luxury brand in the same vein as St. Regis. It is a nice first class flag, similar to JW Marriott. We've also had one in the past (now the Sonesta).

Equinox is intriguing. Boutique brand, I would assume pretty high end. This is good for Houston and a sign we're coming up as we've been discussing. I don't know Loews.

Still, I will think the tide has turned when Ritz Carlton, W, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Park Hyatt, or Kimpton plan a Houston property.

As I've said earlier, everything will depend on whether our weekend rates can stay high. Houston was well-known for having ultra-cheap weekend rates because there was so little business.
Always found it amazing to me that a city and metro the size of Houston doesn't have one of these properties. It isn't like they are ignoring it too. Starwood built an aloft there, did they not? Even Charlotte has a Ritz-Carlton (no disrespect to Charlotte). It's likely the type of clientele or just simply, convention business. Atlanta has two W hotels, I believe, two Ritz Carltons, and a Mandarin. Dallas has a Ritz, a W, and nearly got a Mandarin themselves. Both cities have a St. Regis. Both of these cities are major convention cities and mostly centered close to their downtown/uptown areas or in Atlanta case, downtown, midtown, and buckhead. I wonder how the Marquis could change this as well as the hotel rates rising. More hotels equals more conventions. DC learned this and built their Marquis across from the convention center. Now a Conrad is getting built close to it (though I don't think it has anything to do with the convention center).

Houston could definitely support two Ritz Carltons, two W's, a Peninsula or M-O, or Kimptons.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No Texas city really has all of the luxury hotels mentioned. But a renaissance has happened recently and is continuing. There's lots of luxury brand hotels found in Houston not in DFW and vice versa. Dallas has, as the OP says, a W Hotel as well as a Ritz Carlton that Houston lacks. Houston has 2 JW Marriots, a St Regis and a Marquis which DFW lacks. So really, for metros of their size, they've both severely lacked luxury hotel brands in the past. And they've hit recent surges in luxury brands and that surge seems to continue for both with Loews hotels planning properties in both cities. Equinox hotels Houston will be one of the first 3 locations for those luxury hotels (LA and NYC being the others). And both metros have properties under construction which ar emplaned to bring a luxury tenant. Theyre still behind for metros of their size, but they continue to get some.
I hardly consider JW Marriotts and Marquis in the same category as Ritz and W Hotels. Marquis are mostly convention hotels. At least as it concerns Houston, San Francisco, and Washington. I think Atlanta's Marquis is also a convention center hotel. Chicago is also building a Marquis right next to its convention center hotel. Dallas doesn't need it as they have the Omni. I hope the Equinox builds in Houston. Dallas is getting the Virgin hotels so the luxury hotel markets are getting into Texas but surprised they weren't there already. It's not like the Ritz and W in Dallas are that old. But I would say that Dallas has slightly done a better job of attracting the luxury hotel brands than Houston. If not for the economic collapse in 2008, St. Regis would be in Dallas now.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Always found it amazing to me that a city and metro the size of Houston doesn't have one of these properties. It isn't like they are ignoring it too. Starwood built an aloft there, did they not? Even Charlotte has a Ritz-Carlton (no disrespect to Charlotte). It's likely the type of clientele or just simply, convention business. Atlanta has two W hotels, I believe, two Ritz Carltons, and a Mandarin. Dallas has a Ritz, a W, and nearly got a Mandarin themselves. <bold>Both cities have a St. Regis<bold/>. Both of these cities are major convention cities and mostly centered close to their downtown/uptown areas or in Atlanta case, downtown, midtown, and buckhead. I wonder how the Marquis could change this as well as the hotel rates rising. More hotels equals more conventions. DC learned this and built their Marquis across from the convention center. Now a Conrad is getting built close to it (though I don't think it has anything to do with the convention center).

Houston could definitely support two Ritz Carltons, two W's, a Peninsula or M-O, or Kimptons.
No, only Houston has a St Regis. Unless you were referring to atlanta. Houston and Atlanta have one. Dallas doesn't.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hardly consider JW Marriotts and Marquis in the same category as Ritz and W Hotels. Marquis are mostly convention hotels. At least as it concerns Houston, San Francisco, and Washington. I think Atlanta's Marquis is also a convention center hotel. Chicago is also building a Marquis right next to its convention center hotel. Dallas doesn't need it as they have the Omni. I hope the Equinox builds in Houston. Dallas is getting the Virgin hotels so the luxury hotel markets are getting into Texas but surprised they weren't there already. It's not like the Ritz and W in Dallas are that old. But I would say that Dallas has slightly done a better job of attracting the luxury hotel brands than Houston. If not for the economic collapse in 2008, St. Regis would be in Dallas now.
I agree Dallas has slightly attracted more. But i see Houston doing a better job recently and upcoming. Although I'm not sure about the St Regis going there.

The Marquis is sort of a convention hotel. But it's not just that. It's a large boutique hotel with upscale ameneties and restaurant that's located in a prestigious location. In other words convention districts and time square qualify.

Houston has an advantage in that Marriott likes the Houston market. It's part of the reason ever since Starwoods and Marriott merged, the LeMeredian is opening. Marriott also announced it plans to add more luxury hotels in Downtown. Wether this is a Ritz-Carlton or a W Hotel, it is yet to see. (Although there are rumors of a W Hotel being proposed close to the Galleria, but that's not for certain). Obviously the LeMeridien is coming the St Regis has been here. The Hotel ICON is part of the autograph collection. Marriott is trying to add all of the brands to the region.

The Equinox is slated to begin construction. Loews hotels owns a propert it intends to build on. Intercontinental is under construction opening next year. And an underlooked property is the Post Oak that Tilman Fertitta is building. That hotel is a luxury that is way over all these places. But it's an individual brand vs a corporate brand sort of like Trump's hotels.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
I'm not much of a hotel expert, but I did hear about this Thompson boutique hotel that they're planning on building near Buffalo Bayou. Does anyonr know much about them? Could their success maybe convince Kimpton to give the market a shot? I think a well-sited, well-designed Kimpton property would do very well in Houston.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...ayoumixed.html

Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm not much of a hotel expert, but I did hear about this Thompson boutique hotel that they're planning on building near Buffalo Bayou. Does anyonr know much about them? Could their success maybe convince Kimpton to give the market a shot? I think a well-sited, well-designed Kimpton property would do very well in Houston.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...ayoumixed.html
I forgot all about the Thompson hotel. Yes that's another to the various boutique hotels opening in Houston soon. The collective success. Of all the new boutique hotels would help attract a Kimpton.

The success of Thompson hotel, Equinox Hotel, LeMeridien, Intercontinental Hotel which are all underway and the Post Oak, as well as the places making plans for the future such as the Loews will help a place such as the Kimpton.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Sometimes one big move is an initial move follows with a lot of other moves following the leader. We saw this with the River Oaks District. When it opened, we saw so many fashion brands come for the first time to Texas in general, Houston obviously (I.e. Dolce & Gabbana, NARS, etc). One of these brands was even the first in USA (John Hardy, which sincd has opened in NYC with LA soon). From that one mood, Houston has nailed nearly every major luxury fashion brand. And I'm also sure having so much luxury shopping that was missing earlier has also helped influence with the addition of all the proposed hotels and the ones already having opened. Is it a coincidence that Mitsubishi moved their headquarters to Houston after the luxury real estate boom? Which goes to what I'm saying by one move can influence a lot of moves to come. It's possible that the JW Marriott Downtown doing well influenced the Marquis which then influenced the Le Meridien and Intercontinental moving in as well as Loews and eventually others to be influenced by them.

We also saw the "initial move influencing lots of moves" effect in the airport when Air China started flights to Houston then Korean Air followed then EVA Air and ANA. Then Air New Zealand, etc.
Quote:
No, only Houston has a St Regis. Unless you were referring to atlanta. Houston and Atlanta have one. Dallas doesn't.
Quote:
I agree Dallas has slightly attracted more. But i see Houston doing a better job recently and upcoming. Although I'm not sure about the St Regis going there.

The Marquis is sort of a convention hotel. But it's not just that. It's a large boutique hotel with upscale ameneties and restaurant that's located in a prestigious location. In other words convention districts and time square qualify.

Houston has an advantage in that Marriott likes the Houston market. It's part of the reason ever since Starwoods and Marriott merged, the LeMeredian is opening. Marriott also announced it plans to add more luxury hotels in Downtown. Wether this is a Ritz-Carlton or a W Hotel, it is yet to see. (Although there are rumors of a W Hotel being proposed close to the Galleria, but that's not for certain). Obviously the LeMeridien is coming the St Regis has been here. The Hotel ICON is part of the autograph collection. Marriott is trying to add all of the brands to the region.

The Equinox is slated to begin construction. Loews hotels owns a propert it intends to build on. Intercontinental is under construction opening next year. And an underlooked property is the Post Oak that Tilman Fertitta is building. That hotel is a luxury that is way over all these places. But it's an individual brand vs a corporate brand sort of like Trump's hotels.
Quote:
I forgot all about the Thompson hotel. Yes that's another to the various boutique hotels opening in Houston soon. The collective success. Of all the new boutique hotels would help attract a Kimpton.

The success of Thompson hotel, Equinox Hotel, LeMeridien, Intercontinental Hotel which are all underway and the Post Oak, as well as the places making plans for the future such as the Loews will help a place such as the Kimpton.
Quote:
This makes no sense. If Houston lacked an urban environment, why would they go to any other Texas city? Either way, the other Texas cities didn't have a considerably higher amount of hotel rooms than Houston. Either way, those cities didn't have more luxury rooms than Houston. They had a more equal amount. Anyway this was back then. Houston is going through a luxury hotel boom. Intercontinental is coming back. LeMeridien is coming back. The Equinox will use Houston as one of its first 3 locations. Loews looks like it's coming in. Etc
Quote:
This is exactly what's happening. They're going to various neighborhoods and districts. Marquis opened in a Avenida Houston. The new JW Marriott opened by the theatre district. Hotel Alessandra is opening in GreenStreet. The Intercontinental is opening in TMC. The Equinox is opening The Westheimer corridor. The LeMeridian is also opening downtown. Loews has a property by the Galleria.

Developing Downtown into more of a destination has helped attract luxury hotels there. A lot of places didnt like doing business in houston simply because at one it was 0 leisure there. It's went a long way. The uptown area had all the Houston associations to luxury (and still is looked) but now they're getting built in different districts. It's helped to have multiple business districts all developing. And newer developments like the river oaks district which brings in so many luxury tenants have brought things that weren't in houston Before. For example. River oaks district is a street luxury thing while the galleria is a mall luxury thing. Luxury hotels tend to go places where there's street activity.
Quote:
Austin had both a Four Seasons and a W. you realize Houston had both a Four Seasons and a St Regis. They weren't beating Houston for luxury hotels by a long shot. It was fairly even.

Im not saying that Houston had a huge luxury hotel scene because it didn't. But other Texas cities didn't either. Such as Dallas right now has a Ritz Carlton and W for a while which Houston lacked both but Houston for example had a St Regis and JW Marriott which they lacked both. And there's more from both ends.

Now with all these luxury brands landing spots in houston it'll be interesting to see how many will end up there. At some point they may just contain all of them
Quote:
Don't forget about Intercontinental and Equinox luxury hotel brands coming. And the Loews hotel which bought land here.
Quote:
Intercontinental is not as high end as a St Regis or even Ritz Carlton. But it's higher than JW. Ritz Carlton and W aren't in that mix either while they are high. St Regis is. Other than those 2, Do you realize that these hotels you named some only have 3 locations and some of these don't even have Los Angeles or LA metro locations. I believe Houston will land one of those at some point. Right now it's getting all the luxuries below that level like Loews and Intercontinental and a possible W. all of these have announced a future Houston location at some point in a certain way. Once all these are filled, then it would be good to see one of these go in. As of now suppose the St Regis is the one of that level. And yes the Equinox is supposed to be a new generation of that high. The other locations are NYC and LA.

The way I see it, at this point right now. If you were to add every luxury hotel brand, it wouldn't be smart. But it's getting to that level that every luxury brand can survive here. Right now, it's actually behind on demand which is why a lot of luxury brands have recently opened and others aren't under construction.

you talk too much, cowboy.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Yes but while the Intercontinental is a nice hotel, it isn't in the class of Ritz or Peninsula. The only popular hotel brand I think Houston has that is in that class is the St Regis. Equinox could join that class. But Virgin Hotel could as well. Dallas did have two Kimpton Hotels. But they changed hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston