Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Bel Bel started this thread

5 posts, read 24,861 times

Advertisements

I am from Brazil and I am just about to move to Houston with my family (husband and 2 kids) because of my husband's job (for 5 years). I would like to know where start my search for an apartment or house? How much it costs to rent a 4 bedrooms apartment and/or house? Which neighborhoods are considered safe and not very expensive... and with reasonable commute?
Are there any sites from the city that can help me? I don't know how and where i should start my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,447,239 times
The absolute best site for searching for Real Estate listings in the Houston area is HAR.com

As for where to live, there are many, many great choices. First, figure out where you're working and then you can figure out what the relative commute is from the various communities. Houston is built in concentric circles, so there are great communities in just about every direction. Of course there are dozens of great neighborhoods inside the city, but they're fairly expensive with prices starting in the $300's. Suburban areas I'd recommend are: Cypress, The Woodlands, Klein, Champions, Kingwood, Katy/Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land, Friendswood and Clear Lake.

Depending on your requirements, you can find nice housing in each of these areas starting in the $150's.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 05-27-2007 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-27-2007, 08:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
Champions is expensive!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:49 PM

832 posts, read 3,854,217 times
Champions is actually all price range from 150's on up. Check it out on har

Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Bel Bel started this thread

5 posts, read 24,861 times
Thumbs up Places In Houston

Thank you very much for the information.
I have found some places near my husband's job. I would like to know if they are good neighborhoods to live in. I 've read that in Houston we shoul try to live as close as possible to our jobs... and I could see on Google Earth that these places below are not very far.
They are: Hill Valley - Hunter Creek and Spring Valley
Do they have good schools and good job opportunities nearby?

[
QUOTE=Mr. Football;784087]The absolute best site for searching for Real Estate listings in the Houston area is HAR.com

As for where to live, there are many, many great choices. First, figure out where you're working and then you can figure out what the relative commute is from the various communities. Houston is built in concentric circles, so there are great communities in just about every direction. Of course there are dozens of great neighborhoods inside the city, but they're fairly expensive with prices starting in the $300's. Suburban areas I'd recommend are: Cypress, The Woodlands, Klein, Champions, Kingwood, Katy/Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land, Friendswood and Clear Lake.

Depending on your requirements, you can find nice housing in each of these areas starting in the $150's.[/quote]

Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 PM

344 posts, read 1,251,100 times
Those areas you mentioned are good locations. Check what high schools are zoned to the homes you are looking at there. Memorial and Stratford are considered better than Spring Woods and Northbrook.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 AM

37 posts, read 207,248 times
I live close to hunter's creek in spring branch independent school district. Hunter's creek is on the south side of I-10 and very pricey. spring valley is on the north side and less expensive (but there are still some $$ homes there, just not as much per square foot as the south side). I-10 is a dividing line for the high schools. Stratford and Memorial are your better high schools. the premiere middle school is memorial middle school but spring forest and spring branch middle are fine (i'd send my daughter there if that was the option). any of the elementary schools that feed into those schools are great. you get more for your money the further west you go down I-10.

where is your husband's job located? that might help make a decision.

We love this area of town and wouldn't live anywhere else!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 AM

13 posts, read 52,317 times
Could someone tell me a little bit about what Sugarland, Richmond areas are like (especially if you can compare to the Northeast part of the country). Do they have character or just strip malls and housing?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 19,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytohouston View Post
Could someone tell me a little bit about what Sugarland, Richmond areas are like (especially if you can compare to the Northeast part of the country). Do they have character or just strip malls and housing?
Strip malls and housing. If your going to want to character you have to decide to put up with some bd neighborhoods. Unless your incredibly wealthy.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,795 times
Richmond is more rural than Sugarland. Sugarland has lot of fancy neighborhoods and parks. It's also a straight freeway shot into Houston from 59.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston