Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
My Canadian colleagues prefer the US healthcare system. But then again they all make more than 80k/year, so they can 'afford' it with their corporate job benefits.
I have heard the same thing. I don't know why some Canadians say they prefer our broken system. I wonder if it's just the ol "I want what the other guy has" theory.

Back when I lived there I used to hear the term "brain drain". That meant the good Canadian doctors immigrated to the states because they made more money here. The truth was the money was about the same but then (not anymore), Canada had about 30 tax brackets. The highest being well over 50%. While the top American tax bracket was much lower so they would take home more of their salary here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:10 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
If anyone prefers the US system then you must be wealthy or unrealistically healthy. I am fortunate enough to be insured through my company, but I also realize that financial ruin, and even death can come about if I lose my job. Not a pleasant thought to live with, but it is certainly better than no insurance at all. Still we are all just one sickness away from being uninsurable.

I can think of 2 quick examples off the top of my head of people close to me that show how easily our system can actually wreck the average person financially. I have one close relative who is $1,000,000+ in debt because she was in the hospital over a month while doctors tried to figure out what to do to save her. I'm guessing after week 1 she was supposed to tell them to discharge her because the bill was getting too high? Another very close friend had to declare bankruptcy after his wife died from a long and protracted cancer battle. They tried every possible treatment but still ended up losing the battle, and additionally he lost even more (in terms of finances) after her death. Imagine being hounded by bill collectors after losing your spouse to cancer. The system is broke plain and simple. We have great physicians and medical facilities, but only a few people truly have access to it.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 03-05-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
Difference is our current system is about keeping sick people alive... where as a government regulated system is about getting sick people healthy.

In a free market health-care system, the caregivers are ultimately responsible to the investors, and not the patients. And guess who doesn't generate revenue? Dead and healthy people. Thus we get a system full of unnecessary (and expensive) tests/prescriptions/referrals/etc.

Also, I love when people blame excessive health-care costs on tort litigation... the fact is, excessive tests/prescriptions/etc occur because people are getting rich off of them.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Difference is our current system is about keeping sick people alive...
Alive and sick, many times hooked on expensive and semi-experimental pills that cause other issues. Once they've sunk their teeth into you, you've essentially set up a revolving door and turned yourself into their cash cow. There is a whole generation of people, many of who are at the peaks of their careers and whine they will never be able to retire because they have bought into the scare tactics, which turned them into slaves of the medical system.

I suppose like all economic bubbles, this one is bound to burst and you guys caught up in the system, especially shooting down reform are in for it. I suppose if I were on a list of drugs a mile long, I sure as hell wouldn't want the government to know either.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Alive and sick, many times hooked on expensive and semi-experimental pills that cause other issues. Once they've sunk their teeth into you, you've essentially set up a revolving door and turned yourself into their cash cow. There is a whole generation of people, many of who are at the peaks of their careers and whine they will never be able to retire because they have bought into the scare tactics, which turned them into slaves of the medical system.

I suppose like all economic bubbles, this one is bound to burst and you guys caught up in the system, especially shooting down reform are in for it. I suppose if I were on a list of drugs a mile long, I sure as hell wouldn't want the government to know either.
Are the refineries this close to Clear Lake now??

Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Are the refineries this close to Clear Lake now??

Oh I'm sorry, are you offended on someone else's behalf again?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Don't make yourself look like a fool. Also, I never said anywhere that I was white
There are lots of white people who would pay good money for a minority friend. It makes them feel special and inclusive when they can say, "some of my best friends are black/latino/gay/etc./etc. You could be a rent-a-friend and make good money, thus eliminating the need for your countrymen to pay your bills for you. Think about it!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
There are lots of white people who would pay good money for a minority friend. It makes them feel special and inclusive when they can say, "some of my best friends are black/latino/gay/etc./etc. You could be a rent-a-friend and make good money, thus eliminating the need for your countrymen to pay your bills for you. Think about it!
So, I am assuming that you only have white friends. After all, you can't say " I have black/hispanic/asian friends" , since that wouldn't sit well with you.

Who are my "countrymen" anyway? You might want to enlighten me. I won't call you a racist. I promise. You can speak your mind freely. I won't tell anybody. It's gonna be a secret.

Last edited by XodoX; 03-05-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 05:06 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
So, I am assuming that you only have white friends. After all, you can't say " I have black/hispanic/asian friends" , since that wouldn't sit well with you.

Who are my "countrymen" anyway? You might want to enlighten me. I won't call you a racist. I promise. You can speak your mind freely. I won't tell anybody. It's gonna be a secret.
Why do you assume I'm white?

coun·try·man   [kuhn-tree-muhn]
–noun,plural-men.
a native or inhabitant of one's own country.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why do you assume I'm white?

coun·try·man   [kuhn-tree-muhn]
–noun,plural-men.
a native or inhabitant of one's own country.
Let's break it down for the Republicans.

Quote:
who 
–pronoun;possessivewhose; objectivewhom. 1.what person or persons?: Who did it?

2.(of a person) of what character, origin, position, importance, etc.:
Now you know. And no, that is not what the word countrymen means. You should not have posted this pic, anyway. But you know the word "low", right.

I say single-payer system for all. And it'll come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston