Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
WEST U!?!? Do you know how silly you sound?
OK West U. isn't the most trendiest part of town... where would you rather have him be? I will tell him that he needs to move to some other part of town that you suggest for him to see the "real" nightlife of Houston. So, tell me where is the golden "nightlife" place that he should be?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
People in West U. "go out" to their kids' little league games.

Y'all need to get a group together and take EEStudent out for a night on the town. I'd volunteer, but I'm a little far away at the moment.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
OK West U. isn't the most trendiest part of town... where would you rather have him be? I will tell him that he needs to move to some other part of town that you suggest for him to see the "real" nightlife of Houston. So, tell me where is the golden "nightlife" place that he should be?
I want to say I'm surprised UH admitted you, but I cant.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
So, jfre81 I'm 21 and I have reached that "age" and now I'm telling you I've seen and done all the things that interest me.
Well, that's progress then. Have you lost your virginity yet?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM

81 posts, read 230,620 times
Quote:
So, jfre81 I'm 21 and I have reached that "age" and now I'm telling you I've seen and done all the things that interest me.
You would complain about boredom no matter where you live.

You should find a place to volunteer. You could then help people that aren't as fortunate to be so bored in a city so large.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
People in West U. "go out" to their kids' little league games.

Y'all need to get a group together and take EEStudent out for a night on the town. I'd volunteer, but I'm a little far away at the moment.
He should come drink orange juice downtown with Kenpar and me. We'll show him the meaning of cool.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Well, maybe I am comparing Houston to a much higher standard than I should.

I visited Chicago and I must tell you, there are some intriguing things about that city that Houston doesn't come close to. I remember going clubbing one night and DOWNTOWN WAS PACKED, I am telling you IT WAS GRIDLOCKED we got lucky and found parking. Then we just walked from this club called SoundBar to the river and into a restaurant that was converted to a club called Flatwater. The whole night was amazing, the VIEWS were downright GORGEOUS, I was in awe.

But I understand that things can get boring in any city, but from what I saw in Chicago, people were still jamming up the streets on a Saturday night, music was coming from every car, things were still alive. So if things do get old everywhere, maybe all of Chicago hasn't gotten tired of it quite yet

PS: If Chicago was as lucrative to Engineers as the O/G business is here in Houston I would have moved a long time ago.
See, that's the thing. Chicago is less lucrative to everyone. Sales tax is 10.25 percent. Property taxes aren't much lower than Texas rates. And there's a state income tax of 3 percent.

The other trade off is the weather. If you average out a calendar year, an average day in Houston is probably about 78 degrees with a chance of rain. In Chicago, it's 45 and cloudy. Overall, the weather in Chicago is absolutely atrocious.

Chicago is a great city to visit. It's a lousy place to live. Go find out for yourself if you don't believe me.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Correction: I am 21 cuz.

And what constitutes as a "real" bar. I am curious what are the "fake" bars?

I am not the only one who thinks there is nothing to do in Houston, Heck there is a grad student(teaching this one weight lifting class that I have at UH)
"what is there to do here, do people not go out?".This guy has been living in West U. for 3 years now... oh, wait let me guess y'alls rebuttle would be that he isn't "informed" and "needs to get out more" also.

So, for people on here to think that I am the one crazy misinformed mofo in Houston that doesn't know what to do is flat false. I find myself chilling with people trying to figure out what in the world we doing next, you just go blank, we frequent a Hookah bar... which you can only do a few times till that gets old.

If you think Houston has it bad because there are so many entertainment districts, you ought to read the Austin forum where most complain about only having 6th street. There was lots of excitement when a few other blocks started adding clubs.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Lakewooder from Dallas here -- I don't do freeways here or in Houston (I lived in Houston for a couple of years). If you live inside the loop there is no need. And there are lots of nice areas there..

Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
"So, jfre81 I'm 21 and I have reached that "age" and now I'm telling you I've seen and done all the things that interest me."

How does someone burn out by 21? I imagine by spending lots of time sneaking into bars and getting into all sorts of trouble from about the age of 11 to 17. Burnout comes and goes so you have to take a break from focusing on partying and try and find something else to do, some other hobby. When you reach burnout on that, then you hit the bars and clubs again. I'm going to venture a guess that at 21 you haven't REALLY done everything that interests you yet, you just haven't found new interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston