Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

When they have to turn it over to a attorney ;nothing is cheap after that.Ignoring a bill is never a smart thing.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Do you consider $1900 reasonable for being late?

Reasonable or not isnt the point. The point is that you can, and will, lose your house if you dont pay up. HOA's are worse then the IRS when it comes to unpaid debts.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:52 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzre View Post
I pay my other bills but I admitted I didn't take this one seriously. Do you think my dentist would charged $1900 in legal/late fees or anyone else for that matter. The point is the amount. Do you consider $1900 reasonable for being late?
Well apparantly $1900 is the price point for you to finally take them seriously. So yes.

They first tried to get your attention on their own. You ignored them. Now they send the case over to the attorney. Gosh, I wonder how much an attorney costs per hour?

Who should pay this attorney bill? Your neighbors? $185/year is a pretty bare bones HOA. I don't think anyone's getting rich off of maintaining a neghborhood at $185/yr/house.

If the HOA had to absorb the cost of sending every non-paying fool to an attorney, you can bet your HOA fees would be a lot higher than $185/year! And then your neighbors would have to pay for your stupidity. Gr-reat!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM

20 posts, read 69,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
They can foreclose on your house. It does happen but most people pay up before they do.

Yes, they certainly can -- and do - foreclose on houses for unpaid HOA fees and penalties. It's happened several times in my subdivision. And the accrued penalties are often much more (as much as 10 x more) than the fees.
Most people probably end of paying ridiculous amounts of money because the HOA's abuse their powers and threaten foreclosure on them on something as trivial as $185. It just seem illegal racketeering somehow. What are they? The mafia? Pay me $2100 or else I'll break your legs.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 AM

20 posts, read 69,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Well apparantly $1900 is the price point for you to finally take them seriously. So yes.
Not true. My mindset all year was to pay up 2009 and 2010 dues at the same time with a late fee. I didn't find out about the $2100 until I called their attorney.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
What are they? The mafia?

The Mafia is probably easier to deal with than HOA's. I'm telling you, straight up, that you should quit griping and agree to make payments before you're served with a foreclosure notice.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:29 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,740 times
No offense, but I would not love to live in a neighborhood where people couldn't afford to pay their $185/year dues. We're talking about budgeting $15 a month for crying out loud.

What do you think a credit card company would do if you ignored them for a year?

Your attitude about paying 2 years at the same time just screams immaturity. Sounds like you just stuck your head in the sand and now you're dealing with the consequences.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 46,974 times
In this economy, I can sympathize with someone having difficulties making ends meet. What I will never be able to tolerate is refusing to take responsibility, and then passing it off as if you are now the victim.

A) Read your documents before you sign them, and understand them. Don't understand? Don't sign. Period. Everything that is unfolding was in those documents.

B) If you are going to have a problem making a payment, call the party you owe the money to, and ask if there is anything you can do. At the very least, if they won't budge, you can at least tell the attorney's you tried to work something out. Your defense in this situation is laughable. Hospitals, HOA's, hell, even the IRS will work out some sort of plan with you.

C) Please ditch this mentality that I'll put off on someone else what I don't want to deal with today. You screwed over each and every one of your neighbors by shirking your responsibility.

Finally, if you risk getting foreclosed on over $1,900, then you probably should just get it over with. I'm guessing your credit rating is trashed already.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzre View Post
Not true. My mindset all year was to pay up 2009 and 2010 dues at the same time with a late fee. I didn't find out about the $2100 until I called their attorney.
If you can get an ambulance chaser to take your case, you could potentially go after (and maybe bankrupt) the HOA for emotional distress. Your HOA-loving neighbors would hate you, but the dissolution of the HOA* might be the moral victory you're looking for.

* Don't construe this as legal advice - I'm not a lawyer. However, I have heard of HOA's being sued and and dissolved.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 46,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
If you can get an ambulance chaser to take your case, you could potentially go after (and maybe bankrupt) the HOA for emotional distress. Your HOA-loving neighbors would hate you, but the dissolution of the HOA* might be the moral victory you're looking for.

* Don't construe this as legal advice - I'm not a lawyer. However, I have heard of HOA's being sued and and dissolved.
This, right here, is exactly what's wrong with our country today. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston