Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richzre View Post
Most people probably end of paying ridiculous amounts of money because the HOA's abuse their powers and threaten foreclosure on them on something as trivial as $185. It just seem illegal racketeering somehow. What are they? The mafia? Pay me $2100 or else I'll break your legs.
If you don't like the HOA fees, don't move into the neighborhood. Nobody puts a gun to your head. There is no evil, autonomous, enitity called the HOA. The HOA is just all your neighbors. Why do some people think it is ok to rip off their neighbors?

My parents were hippies - I am painfully familiar with the leftist mindset too many children in adult bodies have in this country. They need to grow up.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 PM

90 posts, read 236,759 times
Quote:
Most people probably end of paying ridiculous amounts of money because the HOA's abuse their powers and threaten foreclosure on them on something as trivial as $185. It just seem illegal racketeering somehow. What are they? The mafia? Pay me $2100 or else I'll break your legs.
Seriously!? 185 bucks a year!? A year late and you think they are being unfair? WTF about all the benefits you had for that year while the rest of the people paid on time? I pay 300 a month! Sorry, but a month or 2 late would be somewhat acceptable. You earned the harsh treatment.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:53 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
Seriously!? 185 bucks a year!? A year late and you think they are being unfair? WTF about all the benefits you had for that year while the rest of the people paid on time? I pay 300 a month! Sorry, but a month or 2 late would be somewhat acceptable. You earned the harsh treatment.
And lets not forget that "last year" he couldn't pay his dues as they were right after Christmas. And then he acts like he was willing to pay both years this year.

Wasn't this year due right after Christmas? Jeesus... It's the end of March already. So now, 2 YEARS IN A ROW he's been late on HOA fees

Yeah, stupid commie HOA. Too bad it wasn't run by one of the "good guys." Like the OP. Yeah, with his version of fiscal responsibility, that would go well

Old 03-20-2010, 08:07 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
I'm confused... the last post joked about the HOA being commies for collecting dues (I know it was a joke, but the joke was still about commies) and before that someone complained about "lefties," implying that people who don't pay HOA dues are lefties. How can both sides be accused of being lefties? And what does politics have to do with paying your bills?

Signed,
Leftie, rule-abiding bill-payer who can't abide immature free-loaders

Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I'm confused... the last post joked about the HOA being commies for collecting dues (I know it was a joke, but the joke was still about commies) and before that someone complained about "lefties," implying that people who don't pay HOA dues are lefties. How can both sides be accused of being lefties? And what does politics have to do with paying your bills?

Signed,
Leftie, rule-abiding bill-payer who can't abide immature free-loaders
I too sway towards the left on some topics.. not all, but some. Just because one is of the "left" does mean that he or she does not need to be responsible for themselves. When I take poor financial decisions I take responsibility for them. I do not come on to a forum and ask for advice how to skate past it. IMHO This is one of the main reasons this country is in the mess it is in. It's not about the right thing it's about the sneakiest way around it. It's not left right or commie.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 PM

20 posts, read 69,070 times
You know what? I can't believe I'm trying to defend my character here. It was a simple question of how to deal with this situation.

Because I'm so compelled, I'll tell you my situation last year. After Christmas I was short on money so I let the bill slip. I don't make a ton of money like some of you here, so money is tight. In March, I had to hire a lawyer (I know how much they cost) to file a emergency custody suit to get my son. That alone cost me $5000 which the lawyer allowed me to pay over 6 months. The suit was about neglect, mental and physical abuse by my ex. In October, I was awarded custody of my son. So yes, I was a little bit involved with some other things in my life, emotionally and financially. I never mentioned any of that in my original post but because some of you are attacking my charcter so much, I have to mention it. I'm not looking for a hand out. I've supporting myself for 12 years, got my degree, finally got a steady paying job and bought my first house. I pay my bills on time. Sorry, I missed the day when the HOA handbook was handed out in my freshman year.

The situation now is that (in my opionion), I'm being forced to pay an excessive amount of late/legal fees by means of extortion. I'm not trying to screw my neighbors or not pay my bills or any of that. I'm a normal, hard working tax paying citizen trying to start my life, buy a home and prosper. What's wrong with you people. I'm asking for advise, not your opinion of what you think of me.

My question are:

1. What are the current Texas laws (if any) of the amount of fees can be charged on a debt.

2. Does anyone have advise on how to negotiate with the Board of Directors.

3. Is there anyone I can talk to (perhaps a watch dog group) that can help with my situation.

Lastly, I'm not disputing late fees. I will pay. It's the unjust and unfair amount of the late fees. If anyone can provide one other instituion, creditor or government that can get away with this, go ahead and please provide that name. Anyone? Defend your precious HOA. Who else can get away with what they are doing.

Last edited by richzre; 03-20-2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Sorry, I shouldn't have called you an immature free-loader. I was just making a joke about the "leftie" remarks.

I do think, however, that you walked into some of the judgment by making it sound like it was all the fault of the HOA. This last post is much more measured, and much clearer in what you're asking. You'll probably get more helpful advice from it.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
But we all have those problems. It's a hard life, but we all have the same problems & we should all pay our bills on time. It's nothing to do with your character.....but integrity.

If you sign a contract to pay an HOA due at a certain date.......pay as you agree.

Come on, you know this.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,086 times
Quote:
Why have we given this power to HOA's. Who's stupid idea was it to give HOA's more power than the IRS and threaten and scare people in to paying crazy fees.
You gave them the power when you, under no duress, signed the contract. You. You. You. Take responsibility for your own life.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM

I do not think there is a limit on what they can charge. They usually state the amount charged by the month or week in the contract. I think mine charge by the week. regardless if you break it down that's 15 bucks a month for your dues. To wait for an entire year to pay them or even address the issue is just plain silly. I would suspect that they will not respond to you nor will they be willing to negotiate as you have failed to offer them the same courtesy for the past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston