Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times

Advertisements

I'm continually astounded at the responses folks give in this forum as to the drive times from here to there.

Listen, I've lived in Houston for 19 years and the only commute that outright SUCKS is 290. I've lived in Champion Forest, Jersey Village, Westheimer/Dairy Ashford area, Bellville (don't ask), and Pearland. The only commute I ever had that drove me nuts was 290 (from West Road to Downtown). I work downtown on Louisiana, so what follows references a drive from (wherever) to Louisiana Street downtown.

I now live in Pearland (Silverlake, building new in SCR). When I leave my home at 6:30, I'm at my desk downtown (on Louisiana) before 7:15. When I leave at 6:50, I'm at my desk around 7:40. This is normal, with wrecks, weather... it can be longer. I've never EVER had a one-hour commute to downtown... EVER, unless there was a wreck or weather slowed things down. You can leave anytime between 6:30AM and 8AM and it will NEVER take you an hour, EVER! Did I say EVER? EVER! If anyone says it normally takes over an hour from Pearland is full of beans. Oh, and when school's out, you can knock 5- 7 minutes off these times. It's never a normal hour. I could get off 288, swing into Buckee's on McHard for some breakfast tacos and it still wouldn't take an hour.

On Monday, Wed and Friday, I drive from Pearland to Sugar Land (Corporate Drive/59 exit) to go to the gym as that's where my trainer is. I'm in the gym from 6:30 - 7:20, and I'm always at my desk again before 8AM, again, barring wrecks and weather.

288 AND 59 are both acceptable to me. Someone said 59 is the worst in Houston. Bullpuckey! 290 is the worst, by far. I wouldn't move to an area that required taking 290 to downtown on a bet.

Hope that clears things up, my friends. I also know that there are some hucksters who bash neighborhoods and drive times just to promote some other part of town where they probably have a vested interest. Shame on you.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Last edited by HoustonRonnie; 04-08-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
290 is the worst
45 North second worst
then 59 South
I-10 is currently the easiest.

If you have 610 anywhere in your route, I'm so sorry for you. I hate that thing and will avoid it at all costs.

I don't know anything about Pearland commute times.

Rule of thumb: During prime rush, without weather or wrecks, it takes at least 30 minutes from downtown to the Beltway in all directions.Some days it might take less, but that's what should be budgeted time wise. NW and North can crawl far slower. I-10 West is currently less due to the massive numbers of lanes. Then you start tacking on time every exit after the Beltway, and then time to get through the area to get to your neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Ronnie I do agree with you that 290 is the worse in all of south Texas and maybe the worse in Texas and maybe worse then I-5 in southern California, I completely disagree with you on 288.

I am living in Pearland for a bit at my other haunt. My driveway is on beltway 8 feeder. When I look left I see the top of the 288 bridge and can make a decision whether to take it or not. I leave at all different times but from 7:30 to 8:30 there is no movement on 288 north. None. So then I can then take beltway 8 feeder to Post Oak north to my store in the Galleria and avoid that horrible road.

I don't know of many major roads that are a total abortion in Houston but there are many many choke points due to stupid brain dead planning by those who call themselves Traffic Engineers. Then of course we have many places where there are potholes so deep that anything less then an all terrain vehicle can't get by it. That slows things down.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
I'm all for under 30 minute commutes by any mode of transport, so that knocks quite a few areas of Houston. Seriously, commuting probably has to be one of the worst things about living in Houston. I don't know how some of ya do it, but I guess that's the way it is when you've got mouths to feed.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
EA has it about right. Although IMO 610 is hit or miss on the south half at least from Bellaire all the way around to 225. You'll go 60 except near the interchanges, where you'll crawl.

I-45 south sucks inside the loop in the afternoon. But it is 60+ during rush hour from 610 to Scarsdale. From Airport to Scarsdale it flies even faster. If you get off on Clear Lake City Blvd, you can exit Scarsdale and blast 2 miles down the feeder road non-stop. (Oops, I let out my secret.)

No matter what the 23 year old living in a 500 sq ft masturbation suite tells you, commute times here really aren't that bad vs other huge cities if you choose your suburb wisely. If you work in the Galleria or SW side and choose The Woodlands then I really can't feel sorry for you.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
No matter what the 23 year old living in a 500 sq ft masturbation suite tells you, commute times here really aren't that bad vs other huge cities if you choose your suburb wisely. If you work in the Galleria or SW side and choose The Woodlands then I really can't feel sorry for you.
No, they're not that bad compared to other cities, but I still think it sucks, given you don't have many options. Personally, I'd much rather enjoy a close in masturbation suite, along with the masturbation. I just find it a much more pleasant experience when you don't find yourself in a car all the time. You have more time to do things, like masturbate. If you live close to where you work, you'll be fine though.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 04-08-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Hey Tsone and Sublime......what the hell is a masturbation suite? I never heard that term before. I'm scared to ask.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Hey Tsone and Sublime......what the hell is a masturbation suite? I never heard that term before. I'm scared to ask.
Not sure, but it feels good. You might have to ask Tstone though. I s'pose you can get them at Home Depot.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Tiny place for not much else besides you and perhaps your computer screen.....

Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Nice guys, real nice . Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston