Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times

Advertisements

Is Spring a decent place to live? Is it a typical suburban area with lots of shopping and restaurants close? How is the Klein sd? Could you compare Spring to The Woodlands and Tomball? Are all those areas pretty much equal in quality? What's the commute to downtown like on 45 from Louetta Rd? Google says 45mins - 1 hour. Is that realistic?

What's with the tiny backyards in Spring? I've seen 6,000 sqft houses that basically have a pool and a tree in their backyard. That's it. For a house that huge, seems odd to have such a tiny backyard. I told my friend that it's probably because it's so hot that nobody would want to be outside anyway, unless it was to go in the pool. But seriously, does anyone use the fireplaces in these homes? I've seen a lot of homes in Spring with 2 or 3 fireplaces. How much use do these things get during the freezing Texas winters?

Also, what's with the high property taxes? $9k in taxes for a $250k home seems damn near criminal. I thought Texans were super hardcore about low taxes?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I gather that Klein ISD is more in demand than Spring ISD. However, some parts of Spring go to Klein ISD.

Those tiny yards, lot sizes - well, that's the way a lot of those subdivisions are. Not just there around Spring, but in a lot of places. Smaller lots -> more houses in the development to sell more people -> more money for the developers, builders, the people who move those properties and the HOA.

Hot weather can start as soon as April and extend through October but late May-early September is generally the worst part. This "365 days of high heat and humidity" meme is a load of bull. Last spring was pleasant right up to the start of June and this one is shaping up nicely too. Some people use the fireplaces in the winter not only for warmth but for ambiance. Everyone's mileage varies. Truth be told there were a few stretches this last winter when I wished I was in the firewood business.

Property taxes are high. There is no state income tax. Property taxes don't come from the state itself but the county, municipality, school district, utility district etc. A homestead exemption can cut your tax bill down some. The highest property taxes tend to be in the newest developments because a good chunk of it will be paying for the utilities that had to be built out into what used to be the middle of nowhere.

There are some other people who can be more specific, particularly about the schools. I actually came close to moving to a part of Spring that would have put me at Klein High School in the 90s, but things have changed some. Spring ISD was more highly regarded back then. Basically the way to kill a suburban school district is you have apartments pop up within the district that bring in kids who aren't, shall we say, middle class - they sell, move further out and leave the school for the dogs. Running from problems is apparently easier than dealing with them. By and large though, if you're sending your kids to public school, they're getting the same curriculum that revolves around standardized testing whether you're at an "exemplary" school or not. It's kind of like McDonald's. Some are cleaner and run better than others, but you still get served the same stuff.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,550 times
[quote=Love2Golf09;13732784]...What's with the tiny backyards in Spring? I've seen 6,000 sqft houses that basically have a pool and a tree in their backyard. That's it. For a house that huge, seems odd to have such a tiny backyard. I told my friend that it's probably because it's so hot that nobody would want to be outside anyway, unless it was to go in the pool. But seriously, does anyone use the fireplaces in these homes? I've seen a lot of homes in Spring with 2 or 3 fireplaces. How much use do these things get during the freezing Texas winters?
...quote]
If you're getting distracted by big homes with small lots, you're not using har.com properly. Restrict your advanced searches by including a minimum lot size. There are plenty of new and older homes on larger lots. And yes, people use their fireplaces. Often with gas logs. Sometimes just to put stockings on at Christmas.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Is Spring a decent place to live? Is it a typical suburban area with lots of shopping and restaurants close? How is the Klein sd? Could you compare Spring to The Woodlands and Tomball? Are all those areas pretty much equal in quality?
All very different.

Spring and Klein both used to be semi-rural one-school districts way back when - and now encompass multiple high schools - and include upscale homes, entry level homes, apartments - a little bit of everything. Lots of ugly suburban sprawl which we Texans just seem to adore.

The Woodlands is a highly planned, highly regulated area - which much more eye appeal.

Tomball was a small town - and still has the "town feel" but has also grown significantly - and the school district includes not only the town, but also significant suburban sprawl now.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
I haven't used a fireplace for heat EVER, even in the frigid Montana/Idaho/Washington winters. But for the "cozy" factor, Christmas, and focal point for the living room, absolutely.

Also, houses here are nothing alike houses I "knew" in the PNW. I've come to accept that houses have different "styles" in different parts of the country, based on lifestyle. For example, in PNW houses are tiny (1100 sq ft 4bdr house is FAMILY SIZE), but on HUGE lots... large enough to hold a workshop, RV boat, several cars. They are also "plain" when it comes to finishes.

Here, the houses are much bigger and the lots are smaller. But instead of a workshop, we have a study in every newer house (or a formal living room in an older house) No dank basement, but upstairs a game room, maybe even a media room. RV's & Boats are not even allowed by most deed restrictions. My family of 5, here in TX lives in a 2700 sq ft home. Around here, families of 4 insist on even more sq ft. My relatives back in the PNW think my house is HUGE!

I do not want a larger lot. Mowing the lawn in April feels nice. Mowing July is murder.

Property taxes are not the end answer. Take a look at your entire tax liability when you are moving. Less property tax in MT... oh yeah, but we had state income tax. And payed $300/yr to license ONE VEHICLE!

Average tax about 3% (vary by county, MUD, school district) But most people here can find all the house they need for $200k. Compare that to a 1.5% property tax on a $400k home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston