Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Kingwood is a nice place to live. Many energy professionals who work by the airport or in the plants on the east side live there.
I'd imagine a lot of them work in Greenspoint or downtown too. The Eastex Freeway is one of the least congested in all of Houston. The widening of it from downtown to 1960 several years back helped out tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:53 PM

262 posts, read 650,363 times
I think Kingwood is awesome because it's right on 59, just twenty minutes to an Astros game. )

I'm looking for a teaching job, and I'd gladly take any position in Kingwood/Humble/Atasocita.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
I personally do not see the attraction of Sugarland or Katy.
They are on the edges of the predominant Western growth. These places have great access by either freeway or arterial road to each other and to the three major business districts of Downtown, Galleria, and Greenway. The 30th Parallel (North Harris/Montgomery) lacks access by arterial road to Galleria and Greenway and SH-249 freeway does not connect to IH-45 (at least not yet).

I'll give the 30th Parallel credit for low population and density. The forests are great as a daytime getaway from the urbanity of Southern Houston but it gets boring being exposed to it every day. Enjoy the relaxed nature while it lasts! The area is starting to become as urbanized as Southern Houston.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
I, for one, prefer the wooded areas of Northern Houston versus the flat coastal plains of South Houston & wide open Katy Prairie. The woodsy areas just feel more cozy to me, I guess because it still feels like I'm in the Piney Woods of East Texas, my real home.

Humble, Kingwood, Klien, Champions Forest, & Spring are all under rated parts of Houston IMO. Maybe because they are older than places like Katy, Sugar Land, & Pearland.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I, for one, prefer the wooded areas of Northern Houston versus the flat coastal plains of South Houston & wide open Katy Prairie. The woodsy areas just feel more cozy to me, I guess because it still feels like I'm in the Piney Woods of East Texas, my real home.
Yeah the areas in Metro Houston have a landscape to fit everyones needs. Well besides people who want mountains... but most others are there.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
Kingwood really is superb. I purchased here (from California) and it has been great. 100 miles of trails that connect all the villages, great golf, the easiest commute to downtown. new waterfront dining Kings Harbor Waterfront Village car shows, farmers market, friendly people. the trees. I'My home is surrounded by a 500 acre nature that is all original growth with earthen trails. Any I'm also about 1 mile to Kingwood town center and all the shopping, dining, coffee, etc. The schools are exemplary. There is also a new theater complex being build in Kingwood off of Northpark. This is the fastest growing region (NE) in the Metro Area.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
I personally do not see the attraction of Sugarland or Katy. There are some nice neighborhoods there but they are surrounded by not so nice areas. I think Kingwood is the best area in Houston and if I had it to do over I would be living there. I also like the Woodlands, the Champion area and the area around HP. However, I like very large, established areas with lots of trees.
Katy is surrounded by not so nice areas and not Kingwood? Katy is probably the most connected side of the Houston metro. The west side is Houston's most affluent/built up side.

Anyway, Kingwood is a nice area. I just think you don't hear as many suggestions there because there isn't that much new construction. You still hear the Atascocita/parts of Humble as suggestions (especially with the new 59). I think you'll hear the New Caney area in a few years once the park starts construction.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
Household income in Kingwood

Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in 2004: $111,183 (Individual Income Tax Returns)
Here: $111,183
State: $47,881

household income in Katy

Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/77345.html#ixzz0o7JmybVM

Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in 2004: $43,683 (Individual Income Tax Returns)
Here: $43,683
State: $47,88

Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/77449.html#ixzz0o7KI8YMp

Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Household income in Kingwood

Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in 2004: $111,183 (Individual Income Tax Returns)
Here: $111,183
State: $47,881

household income in Katy

Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/77345.html#ixzz0o7JmybVM

Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in 2004: $43,683 (Individual Income Tax Returns)
Here: $43,683
State: $47,88

Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/77449.html#ixzz0o7KI8YMp
Bad example. 77449 is not even the nicest zip code in the Katy area, unlike the one you chose for Kingwood.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Sugarland and Katy aren't my personal favorites either - but they seem to be most often recommended perhaps the newness of it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
They are on the edges of the predominant Western growth. These places have great access by either freeway or arterial road to each other and to the three major business districts of Downtown, Galleria, and Greenway.
^ This.
IMO, they are recommended mostly because of their close proximity to west-side freeways and thus good access to major employment centers (Energy Corridor and West Houston for Katy; Galleria Area, Medical Center, Stafford/southwest Houston for Sugar Land.)
On top of that, Sugar Land is also an incorporated city with its own almost everything (including its own major employment center), which is a plus for lots of people.
Living in the west/southwest part of metro Houston, I've held three different jobs since living here (ranging from Medical Center to West Houston) and never had a commute of more than about 13 miles. My spouse's last two jobs have actually been at companies in Sugar Land's big business park. In a city as large as Houston and with this much traffic, that shorter commute and easier access to freeways and employment centers has been invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston