Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM

409 posts, read 2,635,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Houston has such a miserable climate, and the environment is so unhealthy that people seek out food as a way to get pleasure instead of nutrition. Carrying excess fat is a way to cut yourself off from unpleasant emotions.
On the spot.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 PM

192 posts, read 505,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
On the spot.
I wouldn't say it's "on the spot" as much as statement common to anyone who tries to dampen emotional issues with food. That's more a problem of themselves than their surroundings.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM

912 posts, read 2,558,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I circle a lot looking for a close spot - solely for the safety factor has nothing to do with a laziness factor. I am a regular at the gym and a weekend bicycle enthusiast.
What safety factor would that be?

You're probably statistically more likely to get hurt in a car accident/road rage incident circling the lot than the 'bogey man' robbing/attacking you.

That said I've nearly been run over by lazy idiots with similar illogical fears to you when I'm walking over to a place from my 'reserved' spot as far as possible from the door so you might have a point.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM

8,897 posts, read 20,021,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
What safety factor would that be?

You're probably statistically more likely to get hurt in a car/road rage incident circling the lot than the 'bogey man' robbing/attacking you.

That said I've nearly been run over by lazy idiots with similar illogical fears to you when I'm walking over to a place from my 'reserved' spot as far as possible from the door so you might have a point.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?
Just a personal choice, in a very large unchecked parking lot such as a mall, cinema, I feel better parking near where I need to be. However, in a smaller strip type retail lot, I am good parking anywhere because there are not really any far, isolated spots. However, contrary to your comments - I don't consider myself a lazy idiot with an illogical fear; despite how one-sided and opinionated your comment may be. Just using some personal street smarts and not driving wildly to find that spot -- just not being in rush or a need to grab the first one I see. To each his own.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:06 PM

258 posts, read 955,500 times
The abundance of fast food. I can drive a mile in each direction from my place and I'd have the option of Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Shipleys, etc. Very temping to swing by after working all day.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Something to do with the lazy sods I see who prefer to spend 10 minutes circling a parking lot looking for a space next to the door instead of just settling for the myriad empty spots available to people with use of their legs perhaps?
Houston doesn't have a monopoly on that!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:40 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,075,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
USATODAY.com - Houston again tops fattest city list

America's Fittest and Fattest Cities - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News - FOXNews.com

Top 25 fittest and fattest cities in the U.S. - Healthy Living on Shine

What is it with Houston that gets researcher's attention when it comes to fatness? Is there some local traditions or trends that make people gain wait?

I lived in Houston for a while and I remember having really good meals. Not that I dont have good meals in other cities I have lived but there was something about my busy work day that made me feel I just HAD to eat right. It was as if my busy day was compensated by having a really good meal. I loved the that restaurant called Fat Farmer. All meals were super sized. Instant happiness.
You realized that your first two links are from 2003 and 2005 right?

Dallas is fatter now, the only reason your last list ranks it lower is because of Fort Worth.

Anyways whether Dallas is fatter or not, I think we all need a reality check, we need to do something about our lifestyle here.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 AM

912 posts, read 2,558,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Just a personal choice, in a very large unchecked parking lot such as a mall, cinema, I feel better parking near where I need to be. However, in a smaller strip type retail lot, I am good parking anywhere because there are not really any far, isolated spots. However, contrary to your comments - I don't consider myself a lazy idiot with an illogical fear; despite how one-sided and opinionated your comment may be. Just using some personal street smarts and not driving wildly to find that spot -- just not being in rush or a need to grab the first one I see. To each his own.
Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting you're a lazy idiot, you explained your illogical behaviour isn't motivated by sloth.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,330,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
Too many WIC dependent fatsos from Louisiana and east Texas
Come on man, we need to be politically correct in these forums. They're called "Katrina Refugees".

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,855,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
Those three links all reference the same survey by "Men's Fitness Magazine." The survey didn't actually weigh anyone, but used factors such as
A.K.A. Men's Cosmo Magazine.
Now you know one of the reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The short answer: it's a crock of ****.

The long answer: A lot of mileage gets made out of this Men's Fitness magazine ranking that is nothing more than a statistical mishmash that includes things that are hard to accurately quantify (vegetable consumption?)
Yep.
And with everyone so litigation-happy these days, maybe city of Houston should sue Men's Cosmo for spreading this foolishness year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Houston has such a miserable climate
I disagree. The climate isn't dramatically different than that of Austin, which is a whole 2.5 hours away. I don't recall if Men's Cosmo used that as a factor anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston