Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronswoboda View Post
Regarding Little Archie, I played music with him a couple of times...he was a singer and the front man for the Huntington, WV, Parliaments. When he was with them, I remember there was a place downtown Huntington that had a twisted beat up saxophone in the window from one of their sessions. Can't remember the name of the club...just that saxophone. I never knew his real name (just Little Archie) but, in my brief contacts with him, I'm guessing that (1) his name wasn't Aashid; (2) I doubt if he stayed in music much more past the '70s; and, (3) he didn't strike me as the type described in the web link above...but, stranger things have happened. He did sing a bit with a group from Lexington, KY, originally called 'The Temptashuns'. When they released their version of "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", they changed their name to 'The Magnificent (Mag) Seven' to keep from having legal problems with the Motown Temptations.

If you've been in Ashland a long time, which it sounds as if you have, there were a few popular bands during the middle sixties. I played drums for a while with a group from Ashland, KY, called 'The Mustangs' or 'The Kickin' Mustangs'. It was an R & B group put together by Larry Creech (sax, flute) of Westwood, KY, and fronted by a guy named Danny Shortridge (singer). Pat Lovin (sp?) lead guitar, Larry "Frog" Johnson on bass, and Brad (lordy, I can't think of his last name) on keyboards made up the rest of the band. A guy named Terry Sanders was normally the dummer for this group but, at the time, he was in the Air Force. There was another fairly popular group at the time, from Ironton, OH, called 'The Fugitives', and a couple of years earlier, 'Johnny and the Mystics' from the Boyd County area.

It's strange some of the stuff I remember.
Dave Osborne I presume? Message from Danny Shortridge. It's nice that someone remembers the Mustangs. I certainly do, you know.

Stay in touch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,779 times
To my knowledge, Archie was never with the "Mag Seven". MS was a Lexington Kentucky group how recorded "Stubborn Kinda fellow" in the mid 60's. the lead singer was named Larry Orr. They were a great band.

Dan Shortridge, Ashland, Kentucky. Singer with the Mustangs.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,474 times
" Mustangs " Terry Sanders,Mike McLone,Johnny Sturgill,Rudy Hester,Boats Shelton,Frog Johnson,Dave Osbourn,Brad Rhodes,Pat Lovins,Larry Creech,Danny Shortridge and Flunky With Style (Boudreau" Shad " " Jailbird " May !

Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,474 times
(Mustangs) Two more Kent Clay and Robert McQuire

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 AM

3 posts, read 14,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronswoboda View Post
(snip)
If you've been in Ashland a long time, which it sounds as if you have, there were a few popular bands during the middle sixties. I played drums for a while with a group from Ashland, KY, called 'The Mustangs' or 'The Kickin' Mustangs'.
(snip)
It's strange some of the stuff I remember.
Ah, how right you are my friend!
I remember the Kickin' Mustangs (I think Brad's last name was Rhodes . . . but I wouldn't trust my geezerly brain cells on that).
I first started playing bass guitar in a little group from Paul Blazer High School called The Outcasts who later morphed into Appalachian Mainline.
That was an era of a lot of good local music:
That Bunch
The Lovin' Kind
Blue Boy and the Red Coats
The Explosive Dynamics
and, as you mentioned,
The Fugitives (still remember their band hearse)
Little Archie and the Parliaments
and the hits just keep on coming!!!
I went on to play in several other groups after an auto accident caused my having to leave The Outcasts for awhile in 1967.
Of all those groups that I played in, the 2 that most stand out in my fog-laden mind are:
a group originating out of Logan WV who relocated to Huntington (Marshall University) called Robin and the 7 Hoods, a fantastic R&B "show band".
And my last venture in to the music biz, a group called Zachariah, originally a 6 piece rock band (ala Doobie Bros) who morphed into a 3 piece power rock group with me on bass, Jamie Haney on drums and Mike Murphy on lead guitar.

My, how I do go on, eh?
Let's let someone elses brain cells kick in on the subject.

PEACE!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 AM

OOPS! Almost forgot . . .

MAJOR PROPS to a man who helped kindle a lot of musicality in the tri-state area of Ashland-Ironton-Hungtington . . .
Hal Scott.
I'll always remember him sitting behind his desk, a stump of a cigar jammed into the corner of his mouth, telling the guys in our band "Awright, we're gonna send you guys up the river". And, along with memories of Hal, I'll never forget his wife and personal secretary, Margarette.
Say what you want about Hal, he will always be a HUGE part of my musical life . . . the greatest era in my life (so far).

Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 AM

BOUDREAU!
DANNY!
Great to see you on-line here!!
You probably don't remember me, but I do remember you guys from my runnings in the Tri-State Music scene.
Great times, EH??!!?

PEACE!!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 42,858 times
Thanks guys

real interesting stuff

Did any of you keep hold of 45s from back then. I'm trying to track down some Parliaments tunes on Cabell records and the Explosive Dynamics on Lemco

Cheers

Andy

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,626 times
Does anyone have or know how I can get a copy of "Stubborn Kind of Fella" by the Magnificent 7? I don't care what format the song is in, I just want to find a copy of it. Thanks.

[email]gregpenn@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,862 times
Default Little Archie & The parliaments

Absolutely remember the Parliaments with Little Archie on lead vocals. I ever sang Walking The Dog with them at the Riverside dance one night. I once had a demo 45 of their signature original song- Hombre. Wish I knew what happened to it. They were the best in the Tri-State. I heard them open for Little Stevie Wonder at the Field House. I have been able to find 45s by Little Archie but nothing by the Parliaments & certainly not Hombre. I keep trying ebay though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington