Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
Thank goodness for that!
You mean it could have been worse?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM

159 posts, read 382,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hey Mr. "Tier III" school, I would not brag about UAH's quality of education here in a public forum.

Mark it down as a first that someone called me Mr. "Tier III" lol. I've never put much into these rankings for universities. There are so many different programs offered within a single university, so assigning a rank for an entire university on the whole will be uninformed at best. The rankings end up heavily influenced by the reviewer's conceived notion of how prestigious the school is (i.e. popularity)

I think UAH is excellent though, as far as engineering and science goes. I'm not defending their liberal arts programs at all, but when I wrapped up my engineering degree I had seven attractive job offers during an economic recession. If that's "Tier III" performance based on the U.S. News popularity contest, I'll take it any day.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomplan View Post
Mark it down as a first that someone called me Mr. "Tier III" lol.
A year from now it will be an anniversary !

Quote:
I've never put much into these rankings for universities. There are so many different programs offered within a single university, so assigning a rank for an entire university on the whole will be uninformed at best. The rankings end up heavily influenced by the reviewer's conceived notion of how prestigious the school is (i.e. popularity)
I agreed to a large extent. For example, I've met someone who graduated from Harvard with an engineering degree. My first reaction is - Harvard has an engineering program? I have never heard of it or any praises on its engineering program.

These national 'rankings' also has to do with university faculty research, paper publications, etc., and may have little to do with their ability to teach.

Class size is also important. Personally I find myself learn best in a small class with opportunity to interact with professor and/or student. Many of these 'national universities' have freshman classes with 300+ students. While some may do well in class that size, I might as well stay home and study by myself.

Quote:
I think UAH is excellent though, as far as engineering and science goes. I'm not defending their liberal arts programs at all, but when I wrapped up my engineering degree I had seven attractive job offers during an economic recession. If that's "Tier III" performance based on the U.S. News popularity contest, I'll take it any day.
If your job offers came from the Huntsville area that may explain it. Local firms are familiar with nearby schools and tend to hire the local graduates (and no relocation expenses!). But if your job offers came from several states away then I'll acknowledge that you may have something there.

I do admit that, in engineering, there's very little correlation between the reputation of engineering school and one's career success. Personally I graduated from one of top engineering schools in the nation as undergraduate, and an Ivy League graduate school, and I am still here. <sobbing uncontrollably> While I see many who barely graduated from what loosely qualified as accredited schools, but later became movers-n-shakers in corporate/ government.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,071 times
I remember seeing a study 15 years ago and so can't rmember the source except that is was reputable. The study found that the only advantage that an Ivy League school got you was a foot in the door. Past that, you had to prove yourself. When they followed these students 10 years out, there was no difference in money being earned between the state school and the Ivy League graduate. Bottom line, you have to prove yourself in the workplace, no matter where you graduated from. Interesting data.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf (broken link)

Alabama gun laws.....had to pick out a county in Alabama....

Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
I took an NRA class in Virginia on handgun safety and applicable laws. Seriously, I was surprised just how limited the circumstances where in which you were legally permitted to pull your weapon.

You could very well be attacked hand-to-hand, and get your arse kicked and still not be legally permitted to pull your gun in VA. A fist isn't considered life threatening. Brandishing prosecutions aren't uncommon.

Things change a little when you start talking about a group jumping you hand-to-hand, but again if it can be shown that you had an opportunity to escape and instead chose to "make a stand" and pull your weapon - again, you'll be charged with brandishing.

Not saying its right or wrong... just relating the law in VA. Basically, the only circumstances you're permitted to draw in VA are those in which you're already at a major disadvantage: i.e. criminal has a gun already pulled on you. In that case, according the class instructor - you have to make a critical judgement about whether you're better off just obeying and playing the odds (the odds being in favor of the criminal not wanting to kill you anyway) or escalating the situation.

The major point was that when you draw, it is assumed you intend to kill someone, and death isn't the punishment we've deemed appropriate to robbery so drawing a firearm is looked at very critically. Just an aside, but this particular instructor favored open carry for this very reason - a concealed weapon doesn't deter. One on your hip just might.

While a quick search doesn't yield much of anything particularly informative for Alabama (I don't even know if open carry is legal here), I get a bunch of hits for virginia. This one sounds legit and fits what I recall: Virginia Case Law on Firearms and the Use of Deadly Force and Virginia Case Law- Use of Deadly Force Part II

Drawing and firing is a lot stickier than I think most people imagine. Although, again, I have no idea yet what flies here in Bama.
Not doubting you on anything you say....never did.....

I do know that the states up your way are more strict....I know for a fact that in CT, you cannot have a M-4 type weapon....but I can here in Alabama....I was up in Groton a few months ago and was doing business with a company up there for a weeks or so and one guy shot NRA pistol matches....long rifle competitions....anyway he was very familiar with the law up that way...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not doubting you on anything you say....never did.....

I do know that the states up your way are more strict....I know for a fact that in CT, you cannot have a M-4 type weapon....but I can here in Alabama....I was up in Groton a few months ago and was doing business with a company up there for a weeks or so and one guy shot NRA pistol matches....long rifle competitions....anyway he was very familiar with the law up that way...

And everyone thinks we have it all backwards in the South. Thanks for the comments on Virginia. One more good reason why I don't want to live there. I think a change in their slogan; Virginia is for lovers might want to be changed to; Virginia is for sucka's.....

You make some very good pts. The NE in general tends to take a dim view of firearms and the possession of them by the very citizens they swear they are there to protect. Interesting.

Why I do believe that every gun owner should have some very definite and rudimentary understanding of the use of deadly force and when one can and can not employ it, it should still be the right of those who wish to bear this responsibility a choice solely left to those that wish to make it?

The good news is down here in the South, the views are a bit different but, the legal implications do loom. Nothing says "try me" more than it does down here. Here, we tend to own weapons and lots of them. And here's the best part. Most folks down here actually know to some extent, how to use them. Always a plus in my book.

Why it makes the game of social roulett all that more interesting in some perverse way it makes one take pause before they enter ANY altercation. My advice to those that are contemplating this choice (if you live in CT, NJ or NY, just leave) is that you "Swing By" ANY gun range and park your car in the parking lot with full view of the doorway to said gun range and watch.

Watch what you say? The people. Note who comes in and out and you might find a surprise waiting for you. They are not skin heads on a paranoia trip but, regular, run of the mill folks you see EVERYWHERE you normally go. Most people who carry concealed firearms go to great lengths to make sure YOU never see them. It's not an accident. Most know the repercussions of owning firearms and the grave responsibility thrust upon any gun owner.

That said, it's not something to be afraid of but, something you need to know how to manage. Kind of like driving. You don't just jump in a car and start driving, you are taught. Well, most of us anyway.

For all of us down here, it makes life a bit more interesting. Plenty of humanoids going about their daily business simply prepared for the worst but always always hoping for the best. We don't advocate being dirty hairy or dirty hairiette but, one should not be so whipped that they can't defend themsevles when talking, walking, or running away is not an option.

In quite a few states the Castle Doctrine is in effect. You might know this as the "don't think you are going to punk me" law. It basically means you have the right to defend your home, car, boat, and RV without the legal argument of retreat working against you in a court of law. It basically means you can hold your ground without worrying about Sal Horowitz's lawsuit should you shoot his "client" who was obviously on too much sugar and raised in a bad home and abused all his life while breaking in to your home where you were minding your own business, bothering no one and basically adding dollars to the system and doing the right thing.

Up to and including, removing said indigent from our view. In some cases forever. It means you don't have to apologize and hand over your keys. It means you don't have to offer all your goods and your families safety because said e-thug wants to have it.

It's common sense. Let's take society back.

I saw the video. It really, really does want to make you a postal worker on a bad day sometimes.

Avoid trouble, walk away if you can but, by all means, learn to defend yourself if need be. Just my not-so-humble opinion....

I'm truly sorry you and your spouse had to endure such a nasty interchange with a pack of thugs. It just doesn't seem right anyone has to endure that kind of abuse.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Alabama has a 'Castle' law (not the Nathan Fillion show, more like Firefly) - you don't have to run - you can 'Stand Your Ground'. Believing that you are afraid for your (or x's) life is grounds for shooting someone, anywhere, anytime. This may help newcomers understand why we're so polite.

BTW, media like the Huntsville Times predicted blood in the streets when the law passed - thankfully those specific twits are gone... The castle law basically codified what was general practice in Alabama anyway - unless there is a reason for the police to arrest the shooter (like being a felon who shouldn't have been carrying) - the case is closed after a perfunctory investigation.

Frederick Douglass, the great Republican civil rights leader wrote that American liberty depends on “the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box”.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Alabama has a 'Castle' law (not the Nathan Fillion show, more like Firefly) - you don't have to run - you can 'Stand Your Ground'. Believing that you are afraid for your (or x's) life is grounds for shooting someone, anywhere, anytime. This may help newcomers understand why we're so polite.
... that explains a lot. I'd thought it was just good manner

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
... that explains a lot. I'd thought it was just good manner
It is. But asking which came first down here is like asking about the chicken and the egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area