Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 AM

8 posts, read 92,907 times

Advertisements

I have bought and sold homes here for many years and have never used Mr. Ware but after consulting with my realtor, who has also ben here for more than twenty years I got four names as clearly the most respected. Mike Dove, Bill Payne, Matt and Jim England, and Mike and Clay Hancock. I'm sure Mr. Ware is good as well however these four names seem to come up consistently. I can certainly say that the Englands (actually Matt did my last two as Jim was out of town or something) do an outstanding and thorough job. He also did a radon and a mold inspection for me on this last one in the SE. It's good to know there are so many good home inspectors here. northalabamahomeinspections.com is the England's website. Matt's number is 256-429-8622 (I'm not sure if that's office or cell).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM

Default England Home Inspections

I think it got deleted because of the rules against advertising. The 4 inspectors I mentioned above according to what I've heard are labeled deal killers and seldom get referred by real estate companies though England was originally referred to me by my agent. There must be twenty companies cards at least at my agent's office so I think they all want referrals from agents. I think with inspectors and agents it's best to go with personal references. That's been my experience anyways. You seem to be on a mission to promote this one guy. Any of the four I mentioned I wouldn't hesitate to hire. I am just comfortable with England Home Inspections because of past experience. If Matt was busy on my next I would go with Hancock or Dove. No biggie, they're good too. There is no one that is the be all end all. I'm glad you like yours though.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 PM

I just checked Alpro's website. His state license number is HI-2072. He must have just opened his doors. Like I said I buy and sell several houses per year and I wondered why I hadn't heard of him. Anyways, good luck to him. The inspectors I know do well.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 AM

I don't think Huntsville is different about referring inspectors. The agents I know of either give out 3 cards, a list of all licensed in the area, or just point to the stack of cards in the office and tell clients to pick one. And as for researching before using I agree with that completely. I would however recommend checking with the BBB, building commission, or other official organization rather than chat rooms and message boards or online reviews. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can post a review or rating on Google, Yahoo, etc.. You don't have any way to know if it's an ex-wife causing trouble (or a friend giving praise) or a competitor making an unverifiable claim to get a competitive advantage. There are even services you can sign up with that give you positive reviews for pay for a variety of services!! The BBB is where I check everyone.

I wasn't trying to say anything negative on Mr. Ware incase that's what you were thinking. I was just saying with a high license number like that he had to have just opened his doors. Johnny Frazier w/ Frazier Home Inspections is at the end of his second year and his number is HI-1047. Ware's is 2000 something. The BBB showed his business being in business since August 2008. He couldn't have done many inspections. It's simple numbers. I'm sure he is knowledgeable and does a good job and has plenty of experience as listed above in related fields. I use England Home Inspections. I like experience. However if you ask anyone that's been around Huntsville real estate long, which I did in the interest of being fair here, Mike Dove gets most of the nods for experience and knowledge. Hancock, England, and Payne get many others. Clearly with 5-800 sales monthly give or take in the Huntsville market there are other inspectors that must be doing well and staying busy. Hats off to Mr. Ware if he is. God willing and the market picks up some then next time the England's can't fit me in maybe I'll give Mr. Ware a try. Best of luck to him and yourself.

Since we're on it I might as well say I like River Oaks Homes as the best builder and Rosenblum or Victor Englert's office w/Rise as agencies. However like w/ inspectors the only recommendation I make is check with the BBB and meet them yourself before hiring. Have a great day.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 AM

Do you know any inspectors that have received kickback checks? I've never even heard anyone accused of that until now. Relax. You've promoted your friend. Don't get upset. If there are any inspectors that we need to know of that ARE biased and receiving kickbacks then please post names and proof. Otherwise you shouldn't make false generalizations if you don't have proof. You gave one name. I gave four. There are plenty of recommendations here for unbiased inspectors. Have a nice day.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,454 times
Realtors are not allowed to give only one name. We are supposed to give clients 3 names and have them choose. You can bet I hand them 3 cards from inspectors that I know will tear that house upside down looking for issues. Any good Realtor would do this. Kill the deal, if the house is a piece of crap. Gladly!

I also look for issues while viewing the property, before making the offer. So many things are very apparent, if you just look! You have no idea how many rotten window sills my thumb has poked a hole in. Filled with caulk. Oops I like to find as many issues as I can before making the offer. It only takes a few minutes to check for leaks, rotting wood and windows, broken seals on windows, etc. We hate surprises as much as the buyers do!
It is also very important to have a home inspection with NEW construction. Most builders welcome them. The crappy builders will not be as thrilled. First clue to move on

Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 PM

216 posts, read 580,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakinderegg View Post
Milke Dove was ours 256-533-4776 . He did a great job and sent us our inspection via e-mail probably within 2 hours. Do you a name for Radon testing too?

None better than Mike...he does all mine He is widely regarded as one of the best

I would not buy a home for myself without Mike inspecting it.

And there is no rule how many names we have to give. A good agent will give their clients the best.

Rickey Clark is inspecting now, he does a good job, for a builder . Also, Doug Young is really good (All Points Inspection). Mike actually helped Rickey out when he started inspecting.

Still, niether are as good as Mike.

Last edited by madisonmamma; 02-23-2009 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 AM

As for giving the name of only one inspector, I suppose it goes with a Real Estate Company's office policies. We have an office policy at Re/Max that will NOT allow us to give only one name. If the inspector we refer would miss anything, we would be drug in to court along with the inspector. The State of Alabama also recommends we do not give one name only, for many reasons. I agree 100% that a good agent will only refer the best inspectors, which is what I do. I give them 3 names, 2 of which have been mentioned above and let them decide. If I wouldn't trust them with my own home, I would certainly never refer a client to them.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 AM

Here is a list of Radon Inspectors from the Alabama Department of Public Health:
http://www.aces.edu/department/family/radon/publications/Measurement_2-26-08.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,626 times
We used Mike Dove just a few weeks ago and I highly recommend him. He was great. He has a name of a radon inspector-I can't think of the name right now-and he was also great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area