Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM

129 posts, read 433,158 times

Advertisements

Okay, I apologize ahead of time if this seems okay to you, but I'm starting to smell a scam. There was an ad posted last week for a new bar opening up downtown. Okay great. Well, the manager (?) is being very vague when asked where exactly the bar will be. He only says that it's on the courthouse side. And when talking to him about interviewing for the position, he says that girls have just been going and showing them their butts. (The uniform is supposed to be very revealing boyshorts and tank tops.) But he doesn't actually have the uniforms yet, so these (really stupid) girls are seriously just showing some guy their as*es? When asked where this was taking place, the response is "at my condo, because it was costing me too much to rent a place." Uh huh. Sure buddy. So, I just thought it might be worth it to ask around, because this is the shadiest interview process I've ever heard of, and I can't help but be a little concerned. It would help if anyone knew if this bar was even real? Or is some sicko seriously just inviting girls to his house to check them out, or worse?

Who would be so stupid!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
Sounds shady and like a scam or worse. Don't even want to imagine what he could be doing. Don't know why any woman would degrade herself to such. And to think that in the 60s and 70s I marched for women to have equal rights, etc!!!! For this? I guess we can all have equal rights to be fools.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
And to think that in the 60s and 70s I marched for women to have equal rights, etc!!!! For this? I guess we can all have equal rights to be fools.
Did you burn your bras then?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Did you burn your bras then?

NO!!!! Not that brave!!!! But I do remember feeling VERY liberated to think that WAY BACK then I could go without one!!!! Long, long time ago. Couldn't do that today! Hey, I am so old that I remember when a woman couldn't get a credit card in her own name. When I did get one, I was so excited. Young ladies of today have no idea how things have changed

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM

261 posts, read 738,974 times
HB2HSV, I don't know too many of us who burned bras back then, but most of my friends didn't wear one, especially not under halter tops or tanks with small/crisscrossed straps. By the time I was that age, our family had left AL and was in FL. Maybe things were different in those beach towns than in more conservative AL.

OP, even if it's not a scam and the guy advertising is really opening a bar in downtown HSV, it sounds like such a shady place that I'd be very upset if my daughter went there much less worked there.

As for who would be so stupid? Way too many people! Some young women may be naive, others may just have different standards and think it's cool. My kids have no idea about the really dumb things I did in my teens and early 20s, and I plan to keep it that way. Most of the time nothing bad happened, but some had very negative consequences.

I wish that HSV would get new nice places downtown. It's a shame that more live music in small venues can't be supported. I'd love to hear a wide variety of music styles, from big band to blues to bluegrass to jazz.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, I am so old that I remember when a woman couldn't get a credit card in her own name. When I did get one, I was so excited. Young ladies of today have no idea how things have changed
Young men today don't know what they're missing !!! I remember fondly watching these braless women with just t-shirt on ! Hey Farah Fawcett made a lot of money with that poster But I was too young for those "free love" back then...

Back to OP's point. I remember when I was in college, I interviewed for a job with Arby's in a Holiday's Inn hotel room. This was after filling out an application and got a call from the "hiring manager" for the interview. Of course, back in those day the word "gay" is not even in the dictionary. Needless to say, I was totally ignorant on what could happen to me. But I am a guy and the job does not require me to show my butt, so.....

Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHaus View Post

My kids have no idea about the really dumb things I did in my teens and early 20s, and I plan to keep it that way. Most of the time nothing bad happened, but some had very negative consequences.
Since your kids don't read this forum so..... share some of the dumb things you did !

Quote:
I wish that HSV would get new nice places downtown. It's a shame that more live music in small venues can't be supported. I'd love to hear a wide variety of music styles, from big band to blues to bluegrass to jazz.
We can blame the local universities that don't have a more active cultural activities.

Mawoods can attest to this one, in Madison, WI where I went to school every Friday pronto at 3pm, a live band will be playing outside of the Student Union. Most of us will be sitting around the lawn with a pitcher of beer in had, ordered from the Union's "Rathskeller" (wine cellar in German), enjoy the band, the sunset, and the gentle breeze from the lake. We'll have a wide variety of bands ranging from bluegrass to rock. The Union also has a theatre that routinely has shows from the students or nationally known theatre groups stopping by.

The student body council was also a bunch of crazy guys. One cold winter they constructed a life-size Statue of Liberty on top of frozen lake! Except, only the from the neck up and the hand so it looks like the Statue of Liberty was immersed in water. I believe that one made it to a post card.

I think our school was where the toga party idea came from in the movie "animal house". We had some of largest toga party on campus. It was relatively easy, just grab the bed sheet from the dorm room and put it on!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:21 PM

HB2HSV - we were shocked when we went on campus and could order a beer at the University! I bet things have chnaged with all the liability and issues that come with alcohol on campus now. Even the Halloween thing on State Street was reeled in big time because of the violence.
I do think that for a town of its size, Huntsville has alot of theatre. Needs more publicity.
We loved the 5th quarter at the UW! And I do miss those lakes. Beautiful, beautiful. Do not miss the winters.

I do believe that there could be a better effort to have things like strolling bands, good little restaurants and so forth in downtown Huntsville. I think it is a very nice downtown and enjoy what we do there. Do you ever miss the farmer's market around the state house in Madison, WI? I do.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I do believe that there could be a better effort to have things like strolling bands, good little restaurants and so forth in downtown Huntsville. I think it is a very nice downtown and enjoy what we do there. Do you ever miss the farmer's market around the state house in Madison, WI? I do.
I agree. Take that little lake in downtown for example, a perfect place for afternoon concerts where family can bring kids for a few hour of enjoyment. Spring & Fall are excellent time to do this. Bring the jazz band one week, bluegrass the next, good 'ol rock 'n roll after that !

I lived in the dorms then student apartments by the football stadium on the other side of campus, never did get to wake up early enough to hit the farmer's maket in Madison, WI. The only time we go to State Street is when somebody has a birthday, then the challenge is if we hit the bars on one side of street all the way up to the capitol and make it back on the other side of street to campus without being too drunk !

Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I agree. Take that little lake in downtown for example, a perfect place for afternoon concerts where family can bring kids for a few hour of enjoyment. Spring & Fall are excellent time to do this. Bring the jazz band one week, bluegrass the next, good 'ol rock 'n roll after that !

I lived in the dorms then student apartments by the football stadium on the other side of campus, never did get to wake up early enough to hit the farmer's maket in Madison, WI. The only time we go to State Street is when somebody has a birthday, then the challenge is if we hit the bars on one side of street all the way up to the capitol and make it back on the other side of street to campus without being too drunk !
Sounds like you were the typical UW student!

Seriously, I do wish they would do more live things all through fall downtown. There are the concerts at Big Spring during the summer but fall would be great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area