Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM

18 posts, read 26,553 times

Advertisements

Looks like we will be moving to AL next spring or summer. My husband has traveled there once to look around and liked the Harvest area from what he had the chance to see.
We have 2 young children and he will be working on Redstone Arsenal.

Any thoughts on Harvest? Pros/cons? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Research the potential for septic system problems.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
I live 5 miles north of Harvest, in Toney. I LOVE it, you are away from most people and yea you have to drive 15 - 20 minutes to get to wal-mart or places like that (traffic dependant) but for me it is much better than living in the city.

Septic tank or city sewage.....maybe it's just me but I have a septic tank and as long as I can use the bathroom......

BTW, I work on Redstone also, traffic dependant, I can get to work and sitting at my desk within 30 minutes....

You'll get some more good and bad opinions about the area....but hey, they are finally getting a McDonalds...........

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Default We're in the SW portion of Harvest...

near Capshaw Rd. I prefer it to the Northern area of Harvest (i.e., Harvest Elementary area) -- less remote and I like being in a subdivision with sidewalks (feels more like a neighborhood to me than just random homes on acreage).

Pros: It is generally quiet and peaceful here (though we are under the flight path), with a good mix of families and retirees. Lots of 1/2 acre or more are common; it's nice to have some room and privacy! We're close to Madison city, but pay low county property taxes, and homes are more affordable.

Cons: I do get tired of having to drive 6-15 miles for most errands (Target, library, doctor appts, etc.), but there's a new hospital being built along hwy 72 near Balch Rd, and hopefully more medical offices and a Target or Wal-mart (or maybe both?) will soon be coming, also.

Madison city schools are regarded more highly than the county schools serving Harvest.

The county roads (generally 2 lanes only) have not been widened adequately in relation to all the new housing. Capshaw Rd. and Wall Triana Hwy. do get congested during a.m. and p.m. rush hours. While the cities of Huntsville and Madison are doing road improvement projects on Hwy 72, Jeff Rd., Nance Rd., and Wall Triana Hwy. within their jurisdictions, once you hit the city limits, the work stops, and you're back to the old 2 lane roads.

Monrovia (zip 35806) is closer in than Harvest and might be a good fit for you, as you could zip down 255 to the Arsenal.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 PM

68 posts, read 166,781 times
At least the name of the place is good. Hope your family can get much harvest like the name of the place.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,182 times
Look into the Monrovia area... it's a little closer into town. It's where I live and I enjoy it.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM

956 posts, read 2,502,106 times
There are some great deals in Harvest right now...HIGH inventory so that will work in your favor Be very careful if you are looking at new construction. A few developers/builders are going belly up. Make sure your Realtor does research on the property/developer.
Also, a good place for school research is GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community You'll get loads of great info there.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM

18 posts, read 26,553 times
Thank you everyone for the input. It's so hard to make the right decision from so far away!
We are planning a trip so I can see the area also and I will make sure we visit some of the suggested areas as well. Thanks again!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM

11 posts, read 30,961 times
We recently relocated from CA and found our niche in South Huntsville less than a mile from gate 3 on the arsenal. We built a home in the Renaissance subdivison (Jeff Benton Homes) and are very satisfied with the quality of workmanship and the company itself. After looking in several areas, we felt S. H-ville offered good schools, well located to stores, medical, and the arsenal. Good luck with your move, you'll find H-ville is a beautiful city although I would LOVE to have a Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneCA View Post
although I would LOVE to have a Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant!
There used to be one in Florence, AL. But it went out of business and now its a mexican restaurant. Well it could be something else by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area