Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM

90 posts, read 215,963 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,
Confession: I have a killer sweet tooth. There is this place in Athens called the Nestle Toll House that I absolutely love, and I used to drive there from Madison a few times a week for their macaroons, cookies, and cookie cakes. since I moved its really out of the way. Also, with gas prices the way they are I would be crazy to make that trip just for some cookies.

Is there a "just deserts" place somewhere in NW Huntsville or Madison? I have tried:
--Gigi's cupcakes in Madison (I'm not a fan.)
--Bruster's ice cream, Maggie's creamery (Alright if I want ice cream, seemed a bit limited for other items.)
--Fresh Market (pretty good, but not a good 'cookies' place, definitely a cakes place tough! Also, kinda out of the way.)
--Ol Heidelberg is great for cakes, but I'm really looking for something smaller and less expensive.
--I *loved* Sweet Dreams (I think that's what it was called) at Providence, but they closed down (same problem as ol Heidelberg too).
-- The cookies store on Airport and Whitesburg. They were good, but are they still open? It has been a couple of years!

TL;DR: I would love to hear from you guys... does anyone else around here carry cookies, cookie cakes, and/or a wide variety of sweets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
You could always make your own. It's WAY cheaper to make your own Toll House cookies than buy them at the Athens store!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
I think you covered it Felix. I know there is a new Donut shop on the corner of County Line Rd and Mill Rd opening in July. Not necessarily a dessert place, but I wouldn't stick my nose up at a good donut for dessert.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM

261 posts, read 738,834 times
Can't help with shops, but do have a suggestion - while I used to bake a lot, certain medical problems make it difficult for me to spend that much time on my feet in the kitchen. Refrigerated Toll House cookie dough to the rescue: http://www.verybestbaking.com/Toll-House/Products/RefrigeratedCookieDough.aspx

The Turtle cookies are amazing. I will confess that recently I baked some of the regular choc. chip cookie dough for a party (& topped each cookie with three pecan halves.) Someone asked if I baked them, and I said yes...but didn't elaborate on whether or not I'd made them from scratch (fortunately, she didn't ask.) They were a huge hit. Just be aware that some people cannot resist cookie dough...my husband often eats at least half of it before I get around to baking.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:13 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Gibson's Bar-Be-Que at one time had delicious pie. coconut, chocolate, pecan, yummy stuff

Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,203 times
Peggy Ann Bakery for small treats. Also, if you want a cake for a special occasion, try Ellen's Cakes on Jordan Lane. She's a little quirky & the cakes are a little price-y, but WOW are they delicious!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Morgan-Price Candy in Decatur. Their toffee is to die for.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Peggy Ann...best petit fours!!!

Cakes Ect...they are very creative and have some very yummy treats!

Earthfare has a fabulous bakery as well with a great assortment of desserts and pastries. Since it's Earthfare, you know they are healthy, right? LOL!

Also, there are several very good Amish bakeries in the Hartselle area if you are up for a short drive. Well worth it, all homemade and VERY good!! Dutch Oven Bakery is in Falkville, and the Old Cook Stove (which is a regular restaurant) is in Danville. Both are outstanding and well worth the trip!
You can also find some very good Amish/Menonite bakeries in the Fayetteville area, but I am less familiar with those.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 AM

513 posts, read 868,171 times
I know what you mean. When I was over in Greece they had a patisserie down from my hotel .. it was fabbo. I do wish they had something here. Also, when I was living in SE GA we had The Sweetest Things; she closed shop that was a sad day in Camden because it was a GREAT place to go and hang out with friends. It would be cool to have a Dessert Bar, too.....

Old 06-04-2011, 09:46 PM

90 posts, read 215,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ow!Ow!OW! View Post
Peggy Ann Bakery for small treats. Also, if you want a cake for a special occasion, try Ellen's Cakes on Jordan Lane. She's a little quirky & the cakes are a little price-y, but WOW are they delicious!
I paid $180 for a hummingbird cake there a couple of months ago (regular cake size, feed 8-10). I made the terrible mistake of *not* asking her how much it cost beforehand, and I was just kind of... errr... taken back by her quirkiness. I thought she was a good person and in the end I felt it would have been incredibly awkward to walk away.
Anyway, great cake... just not $180 great. If there is a next time I will price things out first!

Thanks ya'll for the wonderful advice. I have learned through *many* mistakes that I cannot bake. I guess I'll buy the Nestle dough and delegate the baking to my husband! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area