Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,456 times

Advertisements

None of my former neighbors spoke to me until I was loading a moving truck and leaving. Then all of a sudden I met 5 of my neighbors and they were so sad to see me go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
that was my experience when I lived in Huntsville too. My neighbors are much more friendly up here in maine.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I think it is that way in many areas. If you buy in a new subdivision it seems like it is easier since no one has made any friends there yet.

If you see them.. 'wave'.. I have a neighbor who hasn't spoken to me since I moved in except to yell at me when he thought my dogs were in his yard.
His wife is nice but he is a jerk

Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,255 times
I believe neighbors do keep to themselves more these days.....the good old days of sitting in your frontyard and visiting are gone.....people are always on the move.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM

379 posts, read 849,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
None of my former neighbors spoke to me until I was loading a moving truck and leaving. Then all of a sudden I met 5 of my neighbors and they were so sad to see me go.
This is too funny but true.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
It's a modern thing, I think. Subdivisions built without sidewalks...houses with no porches...air conditioning...central heat...when we lived in a historic neighborhood, folks were out and about all the time. Now we live in a subdivision where people drive into their garage, close the door, and never come out. A lawn service does their yard. Kids don't play outside - they're on the computer, doing homework, playing video games.

Plus, if you have family in the area, you probably spend time with them.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
A lot depends on the neighborhood. Sidewalks help.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Growing up

I always check out the Alabama forum but I live in Florida. When I grew up, my parents were very outgoing. People always came over. I thought that was normal.

When I got married and had a birthday party for one of our children, I invited everyone on the street not knowing that was not what people did. Anyway, it turned out to be really fun. Most of the families did have children and they all played together pretty much anyway.

We had a petting zoo at that one and ended up closing off the street so the kids could have pony rides - all the neighbors really met each other and after that, it kind of became an annual thing from house to house.

It just takes one to start it but I do admit, I am very naive and think the best of people.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
Our neighbors are very friendly. We know each other well. When one of us goes on vacation, we look out for each other's property. If something needs watering or the mail needs picked up, we can count on our neighbors. I believe this makes for an extremely safe neighborhood. Part of this is that we are well connected by sidewalks.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I always check out the Alabama forum but I live in Florida. When I grew up, my parents were very outgoing. People always came over. I thought that was normal.

When I got married and had a birthday party for one of our children, I invited everyone on the street not knowing that was not what people did. Anyway, it turned out to be really fun. Most of the families did have children and they all played together pretty much anyway.

We had a petting zoo at that one and ended up closing off the street so the kids could have pony rides - all the neighbors really met each other and after that, it kind of became an annual thing from house to house.

It just takes one to start it but I do admit, I am very naive and think the best of people.
We did the same in one place where we lived...one person flips burgers and everyone brought a dish.

I have no neighbors where I live now... nearest is 6/10's of a mile away but we've talked about doing sort of the same here in my area for the rural 'neighbors'. My husband and myself frequently take walks and anyone that's out comes out to talk to us. Sometimes we have a difficult time getting back to our walk. 3 of the folks along our route always call us over to their big gardens (2 are farmers) and load us up. One guy loaded us up so much he got his truck to drive us back home because we couldn't carry it all.
I really don't like the suburbs...subdivisions and the like. People for the most part really don't seem as friendly and everyone knows your business or is nosy. I think it's easier in a city or rural. We might not be able to walk to the fence and chat with a neighbor but I'll tell ya...if a strange car is seen in our driveway late... some of them will call to make sure all is okay.
But, when I did live in town, I'm the sort that even if I'm the one that moved in...I'll bake something and bring it to the neighbors and introduce myself and I'd have to say that when I do that, 98% of the time, they come out and sit on the porch for a chat (and bring out some tea or something) or invite me in (even if they only waved prior). I've made some very good friends that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area