Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

Well I am finally ready to buy my first house. I am currently bidding on a home in Madison City.

But it is zoned county, it's one of the neighborhoods that is off of Slaughter Rd that was incorporated into the city about 15yrs ago.

Anyway, the house is from the 60's and appears to have the original chain link fence to boot.

The backyard of the house touches 4 other back yards. It's shaped like a little house, a square with a triangle on top.

/ \
[ ]

Like that.

Well on the Right Straight side, the neighbor has his own fence, but on the remaining 3 sides the fence is mine or so it seems. The other neighbors have wooden side fences that just kind of meet my chainlink.

I realize I need to and will get a survey, but regardless, what is proper etiquette?

I personally don't like chain link, I really don't like fences period, but I realize that 2 of my neighbors have dogs and one has a pool, so he has to have a fence for insurance reasons.

I have met several of the neighbors, but not these 3.

My long term goal was to remove the fences completely and grow big ferns, but now realizing they have dogs that simply won't do.

Lastly as I mentioned this is county zoned and no HOA, so no rules on fences at all. I'd rather put a nice one up than remove my chainlink only to have my neighbor just replace it with one of his own.

Any one have any experience with this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Congratulations! I've got a friend off Stella on High Drive (if that's your neighborhood). Hah! Just google mapped, there is a house on Stella that fits your description - he might be at the apex and on the left.

For a fence on the property line, rather than have two fences (yours and neighbors), many people have a fence in common (share the construction and maintainance and importantly landscaping design). Failing that one might adopt a city ordinance approach and build a fence with a 5 foot setback.

Definitely share your thoughts and plans with your neighbors.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Congratulations! I've got a friend off Stella on High Drive (if that's your neighborhood). Hah! Just google mapped, there is a house on Stella that fits your description - he might be at the apex and on the left.

For a fence on the property line, rather than have two fences (yours and neighbors), many people have a fence in common (share the construction and maintainance and importantly landscaping design). Failing that one might adopt a city ordinance approach and build a fence with a 5 foot setback.

Definitely share your thoughts and plans with your neighbors.
Haha,

Indeed it is on Stella. I actually looked at a house on High Rd over the summer, but it had foundation issues.

And I met a nice couple who live on High Rd today while I was mapping out the backyard again.

Yeah I haven't met anyone who wasn't polite, that is a big selling point of the neighborhood, friendly people, but without the HOA so no one telling me very politely to "tear down your shed" or something.

I believe only one of the houses that touches my property is in the City now. The one with the dogs who roam the backyard. Nice dogs actually, one ran to the fence edge and barked at me, I looked right at him/her and said "Shhh". Amazingly, he/she did.

But yeah, ideally I could just plant some bushes and it would eventually cover the fence, but then I don't want it to fall apart and then have someone getting onto me about it...

We have only just started the LONG closing process. Just as I am in my busiest months of the year! It's gonna be a long road

Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You might consider some sort of vine that can cover the chain link, or planting a barrier hedge on your side of it. We had chain link fence in Florida - everybody had pools, so it was a requirement, but other than trimming near it, I never gave it a thought.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
My friends are a couple with a baby girl.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 PM

231 posts, read 595,671 times
Default Good fences make good neighbors

A fence is a good idea--if you need one. I would suggest that you leave things alone at least until you get to know the property owners adjoining you well. Additionally, people in the Huntsville area tend to mov e quite a bit so your neighbor today might not be tomorrow and you never know what type you might be living adjacent to next.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Congratulation on your new house!

If you going to grow big fern trees for privacy, then why not keep the chain link fence but grow the ferns in front of fence? The wood fence looks like crap in a year, unless you paint them, and will require annual maintenance.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You might consider some sort of vine that can cover the chain link, or planting a barrier hedge on your side of it. We had chain link fence in Florida - everybody had pools, so it was a requirement, but other than trimming near it, I never gave it a thought.
This had been my first idea, but was concerned about the degrading chain link fence on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
My friends are a couple with a baby girl.
Good another young couple! The neighborhood seems to either have old empty nesters or young couples moving in. I think that is great for the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
A fence is a good idea--if you need one. I would suggest that you leave things alone at least until you get to know the property owners adjoining you well. Additionally, people in the Huntsville area tend to mov e quite a bit so your neighbor today might not be tomorrow and you never know what type you might be living adjacent to next.
This is a good point, I have no idea how long they will live there, but this neighborhood doesn't have a high turn over rate. But yes, I won't do it on day one, the house needs a LOT of work before I even worry about fences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Congratulation on your new house!

If you going to grow big fern trees for privacy, then why not keep the chain link fence but grow the ferns in front of fence? The wood fence looks like crap in a year, unless you paint them, and will require annual maintenance.
Thanks!
Very good point on the wood fence. At least the current fence doesn't require yearly maintenance.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
You could look into holly bushes. If you could encourage the branches to grow low enough to the ground and the dogs are big enough they might. discourage the dogs from entering your yard to a large degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area