Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 43,980 times

Advertisements

Lots of good places I haven't thought about in years. I'll add The Cork and Cleaver on University; then it became Shogun Steakhouse but Cork was great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMoose View Post
Lots of good places I haven't thought about in years. I'll add The Cork and Cleaver on University; then it became Shogun Steakhouse but Cork was great.
I believe Shogun was built to be a Shogun.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
nope, it used to be Cork & Cleaver before that - Shogun Japanese Restaurant | Sushi | Teppan | Seafood

"The first restaurant was located in Huntsville, Al in 1983. My parents took over the property of a Cork and Cleaver Restaurant (traditional American steakhouse) and opened the first Japanese steakhouse in North Alabama."

http://www.al.com/dining/reviews/shogun.hsv.html

"The building on University Drive that houses Shogun was called Cork 'n' Cleaver during the 1970s."

Old 07-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMoose View Post
nope, it used to be Cork & Cleaver before that - Shogun Japanese Restaurant | Sushi | Teppan | Seafood

"The first restaurant was located in Huntsville, Al in 1983. My parents took over the property of a Cork and Cleaver Restaurant (traditional American steakhouse) and opened the first Japanese steakhouse in North Alabama."

al.com: Dining Review

"The building on University Drive that houses Shogun was called Cork 'n' Cleaver during the 1970s."
Oh my, well a thousand apologies and way to link that reference. I will enjoy reading it.

BUT do you remember the Black Eyed pea being built and then torn down to make the Dreamland?

or am I wrong on that front too?

Also to defend my memory, I was born in '87, so I was very young.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Oh my, well a thousand apologies and way to link that reference. I will enjoy reading it.

BUT do you remember the Black Eyed pea being built and then torn down to make the Dreamland?
I remember hearing about it, but it was long after I'd left town.

Quote:
Also to defend my memory, I was born in '87, so I was very young.
You still are very young - hell I've got boots older than you!

Last edited by MotoMoose; 07-24-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 PM

375 posts, read 513,578 times
Dave, I don't believe the original Black Eyed Pea restaurant building was actually demolished. If I remember correctly that restaurant was open for a very short time (year or so) and then I think another restaurant may have opened and closed before the building was heavily remodeled to make way for Dreamland.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,760 times
J Gregry's Pizza is another. Was located on Jordan at Holmes Ave. My wife worked there as a teen.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
The current Shogun location was built to be Shogun - the Cork and Cleaver location housed the original Shogun but then they moved across the street into the new building. I had my wedding rehearsal dinner in the old location.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Dave, I don't believe the original Black Eyed Pea restaurant building was actually demolished. If I remember correctly that restaurant was open for a very short time (year or so) and then I think another restaurant may have opened and closed before the building was heavily remodeled to make way for Dreamland.
Yes, that may be, I couldn't remember if it was totally demolished or if they used some of it. I really can't tell because they did SOO much work to Dreamland.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 35,635 times
I moved to the area in early 90s. I loved the Butcher Block on Jordan. Great steaks and crab legs.

When did the Shakey's here close? Must've been before my arrival to the area or else I'd have found it. Grew up on Shakey's in Nashville. Went to one in Auburn this past fall. Tasted very familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area