Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times

Advertisements

I think my current disenchantment over Huntsville is that Mem Pkwy, if you were headed south, gets less than picturesque once you pass A&M and stays that way until you pass...hmm...either the Kangaroo down south or maybe even Green Cove Rd.

I'm sick of the closed stores, the soup kitchen area north of Oakwood, and those two trailer places. The power poles are unsightly too.

Maybe I just wasn't looking, but it seems so ugly now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 8,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
What is wrong with these people in Huntsville Alabama. I read a article saying: "Rush hour traffic, hour-long dinner waits and impossible parking prove it: Huntsville is growing." This really gets under my skin when these false claims are made. The people in the city of Huntsville Alabama live a false reality. They are only concerned with being looked as a better city than any of the state other cities. But in reality Huntsville is degressing and other cities of the state are advancing while huntsville tries to persuade people that its is seeing all this growth. It makes think how many of these people have left Huntsville(leave the bubble)and been to a real city.These lies have many people fooled and the huntsville times should be ashamed.

Rush hour traffic, hour-long dinner waits and impossible parking prove it: Huntsville is growing | al.com
From outhouses to outer space, Huntsville's evolution unique among Alabama cities | al.com

A growth in the mere size of the population doesn't necessarily equal a better or ideal quality of life, in my opinion. In a way, I agree with you.

I certainly notice that about once a week or so, The Huntsville Times will print another article going on about how great Huntsville is.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
The last time I checked, all roads leaving Huntsville were open - if you dislike the area so much you can simply go elsewhere. Some of us, who live in the area, actually like it here - go figure.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
What is wrong with these people in Huntsville Alabama. I read a article saying: "Rush hour traffic, hour-long dinner waits and impossible parking prove it: Huntsville is growing." This really gets under my skin when these false claims are made. The people in the city of Huntsville Alabama live a false reality.
mimpdaddy, for better or worse, you're in the far minority, and the reaction on this post is an indication of the size of the up-hill bolder you're trying to roll.. Not that I disagree, but lest your skin gets irritated again, get your zen on and deal.

There are predominantly two types of al.com readers in Huntsville: imports & locals. By imports, I mean folks like myself who move long distances to be based here, probably lured by solid tech jobs. By locals, I mean people who grew up here or near by, and they see the city from a more historical perspective. Both of them want to be stroked, so to speak, by the local paper, either due to local pride or to be reassured of their big decision to "change cultures."

Huntsville has a big hole in it, compared to other cities, due to the overwhelming tendency for people to keep to themselves. Seems like both imports and locals contribute to this. People are fine with having no "real" cultural outlet, as long as schools are decent and the TV works. If you really want to hear music or get drunk once and a while, drive to Nashville. Nice and tidy.

"I just can't see myself _ever_ moving from Huntsville!" is not a phrase I've heard many imports or locals utter. It's not a final destination city--as such people want it to continue being up and coming, growing. People retain an exit strategy. Raise a family, make a buck, and spring board to somewhere _nice_, or "back to where we're actually from." Or for locals, real success is being able to move to the west coast.

We HSV-ites compare locations too much because we're thinking to move out, whether we'll admit to it or not.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober Grows View Post
Or for locals, real success is being able to move to the west coast.

We HSV-ites compare locations too much because we're thinking to move out, whether we'll admit to it or not.
I guess that it is ironic that we are moving from San Diego to Huntsville this Autumn and we have been planning this for almost a decade.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Maybe I'm just in the minority here, but my hubs has had excellent opportunities with his job in other locations in the US, but what keeps us here is the area. We love it. Great schools, love the 4 seasons, great quality of life, convenient to beaches for summer vacations and mountains for winter skiing. I have always thought the Tennessee Valley was one of the most beautiful parts of the US. We are not "partyers" and don't base where we live on nightlife, but we have found some great local spots for relaxing with friends and a cocktail on the weekends.

I guess if you don't like HSV you are always free to move rather than just living here in misery

And I don't think the growth numbers are "lies"...this area is growing.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Not in a million years. Other than a beach that place has nothing on Huntsville. However, those of you who prefer high taxes, high cost of living, poor employment opportunities, and bad politics feel free to leave as soon as possible. I'd much rather you keep California crappy than stay here and ruin Huntsville.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
I don't know where this came from. I can't say that I have ever heard anyone say they want to move to the west coast.

I have absolutely no desire to live on the west coast with all of those tree hugging nuts and the ridiculous cost of living.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Not in a million years. ... I'd much rather you keep California crappy than stay here and ruin Huntsville.
Would be very happy to meet you. (Really; I don't meet many folks born in & around Huntsville.) Of the 5 I've met, all would take a job in the Bay area or Portland if offered and if they had a buyer for their house, and one is actively looking there. Of the 5 I've met, only 1 has kids, which is a factor.

My comments are based on my own limited experience, and no offense was intended.

... (Still want me to move out?)

Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
5 is hardly a broad sample.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area