Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM

582 posts, read 826,591 times

Advertisements

Ever since Tim's Speciality Meats went out of business, I haven't been able to find a decent supplier for what I call "beefy ribs". These are beef ribs with lots of meat on the bones, I'm talking about Fred Flintstone type ribs, not the "Dachau-death-camp" type ribs you typically see in the local food stores like Krogers, Publix, Walmart etc.

I've tried 5 points, nope; Rocket City Meats, zip (and dirty and nasty too!) and the other place I used to get them down in SE Hsv off of the Parkway closed too.

The last thread on this subject, someone mentioned a place up near Fayetteville or north of Hazel Green. I e-mailed and talked to them - no luck there either.

So anyone know of a decent butcher near Madison, west Huntsville, Limestone, Athens etc.?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Costco?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,255 times
I would say Star Market....have you ever checked there? They usually can get you whatever you want. I do have a "cow share" that I buy into every once in a while...I don't know if he can just get ribs, but his beef is AMAZING! We usually buy 1/6 of a cow but we have never gotten ribs....wonder what happens to those, hmmmm......

I don't know any "specific" places, but I do know there is several Amish/Mennonite butchers in and around the Hartselle/Cullman area, and I have heard it is worth the short drive to buy good from them.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM

HB, Actually both Costco or Sams are not bad places to get meat, but they cut their meat and won't order the beefy ribs.

LCT, In my original post, I mentioned "5 Points", that referred to Star Market because I couldn't remember the name. We also have one of those out near Madison and they don't have them either. Just another repackage shop, no real meat cutting.

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,214 times
It's sad you can't get these locally.

I've always wanted some ribs like you are describing. I'm not a big pork guy and whenever I have gotten Beef Ribs in the past they were so puny, I simply stopped eating ribs years ago because I had so many disappointments while forming my opinion of beef ribs in general.

If you can't get local have you found a mail order place?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Ever since Tim's Speciality Meats went out of business, I haven't been able to find a decent supplier for what I call "beefy ribs". These are beef ribs with lots of meat on the bones, I'm talking about Fred Flintstone type ribs, not the "Dachau-death-camp" type ribs you typically see in the local food stores like Krogers, Publix, Walmart etc.

I've tried 5 points, nope; Rocket City Meats, zip (and dirty and nasty too!) and the other place I used to get them down in SE Hsv off of the Parkway closed too.

The last thread on this subject, someone mentioned a place up near Fayetteville or north of Hazel Green. I e-mailed and talked to them - no luck there either.

So anyone know of a decent butcher near Madison, west Huntsville, Limestone, Athens etc.?

Thanks,
You might try contacting:

Dixon Family Meat - About Us

Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 AM

dj, that doesn't look too bad - except for the 80 mile drive one way with gas heading north of $4/gal.....

I wonder if he delivers, I'll have to ask.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
dj, that doesn't look too bad - except for the 80 mile drive one way with gas heading north of $4/gal.....

I wonder if he delivers, I'll have to ask.

Thanks!
They come down to the Madison farmers market, one downtown, and maybe others. Their email newsletter should have all of the details.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,361 times
Here are a couple places up in TN with grass fed beef ribs...they may or may not ship, but their orders can usually be picked up at a few locations in TN. Also, if you search Grass Fed Beef Ribs, there may be other places around that will ship or just make a weekend out of it and drive up to TN.

Ground Beef and Other Cuts | Tennessee Grass-Fed Beef, Pastured Pork, Free-Range Chicken | The Baggett Family Farm
Spare Ribs

I am planning on picking up a split side of grass-fed beef this month and that should include some big, meaty slabs.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 148,492 times
Sidenote: Those that buy a share of a cow or grassfed beef, where are you purchasing it. I plan on buying some soon, but am not sure about any reviews/quality of the places I've found online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area