Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,657 times

Advertisements

Due to certain circumstances me and my husband will be buying a house in huntsville next month. I know SE is a great place to live but my brother in law lives in NW at the top of Sandia BLVD and my husband wants to live close to him, but I'm nervous to move to the wrong section because the realator has told me this is a bad section?? I am white and my husband is black and being from CA bay area where anything goes we havn't had any problems but I have been warned by people that mixed couples still arn't accepted?? If I move to the SE will are mixed fam fit in? Please we are young and could use any advise on this subject.
AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
The good news - Sandia (close to Winchester and Blue Spring) is at the foot of Wade Mountain (800+ acre Land Trust park - hiking / biking). The area is close to Alabama A&M University - an HBCU. It is convenient to the Parkway (15 minutes to downtown). IIRC, the houses in that neighborhood (Cherokee Hills?) are somewhat larger (3 or 4 BR, 2 bath) and newer (built mid 70s?) than some of the neighborhoods around it. IMO, the Cedar Point neighborhood is better, the Mount Charron neighborhood is much better (both close to Sandia).

The news you may already know - it is a black neighborhood. You know better than me if black people will accept you ;-)

The bad news - the schools (IIRC, Rolling Hills ES, Davis Hills MS, Johnson HS)... While your neighborhood doesn't seem bad, note that the NW has a higher crime rate than other areas of HSV (drugs, violence, theft).

Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks Reactionary, I did research the schools and I was wondering, here in CA you can pretty much request to put your child in any school, do you know how strict they are on zoning? My brother in law lives on the corner of Sandia and amalie would that be in cherokee, cedar point or Mt Charron?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Huntsville is a very diverse area and has been for years. Not sure who told you, you wouldn't be accepted here but if you search this forum you will find others who have asked the same question.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:03 AM

I think Sandia is in Cherokee Hills; Cedar Point is off Pulaski Pike and Winchester, Mount Charron is roughly off the Parkway and Winchester; both are close (>1 mile) to Sandia - closer if you walk through the woods.

Schools are strict on zoning. However - IIRC, if your kids qualify as minorities and since those schools are 'failing' - you can enroll your kids in any school in the city thanks to President Bush and 'No Child Left Behind' (probably just like CA), subject to available spaces at the desired school and some other funky rules. Rolling Hills and many other 'black' schools are way under capacity because of transfers out, conversely, other schools are now overcrowded.

More about that here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/alaba...rovidence.html

Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 AM

47 posts, read 205,180 times
I personally do not have any children in school here, but I believe I read where the city is trying to get released from Federal desegregation orders. I bring this up only because if this happens, then school rezoning may be considerable to relieve the overcrowding of schools like Providence and move the children to other schools that are under capacity. That being said, do your research if schools are a primary motivating factor to where you are moving.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
If you want to be on that side of town, consider Monrovia, Meridianville or Hazel Green in the county. Those areas have a lot of new development and the schools are generally better (particularly in the case of Monrovia) than NW Huntsville. I cringe to say this, because I am very "pro-city" "anti-sprawl" but I think in your case those areas may work better for you than SE Huntsville if you wish to be close to your brother in law.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 PM

a.jo - I drove up by Sandia this afternoon - impressions: well-kept lawns, some police (police can take cars home) and retired military (special car tags) live in neighborhood, upper Sandia looks nice ($120s? upper vs $80s? lower). I stopped and talked to a man doing his yardwork - he said the neighborhood is pretty safe, most residents are middle class / professional.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM

Thanks Reactionary! I was just talking with my husband about this, so this makes me feel better about the area. I'm a stay at home mom so safety for my little princesses is very important to me=) I'm thinking strongly about homeschooling. Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.jo View Post
Thanks Reactionary! I was just talking with my husband about this, so this makes me feel better about the area. I'm a stay at home mom so safety for my little princesses is very important to me=) I'm thinking strongly about homeschooling. Thanks for the help everyone!
Good luck and welcome to Alabama!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area