Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM

137 posts, read 231,385 times

Advertisements

Yes, charges for sprinklers and house water are separate with sprinkler water at a lower rate. I had an issue where the reader for hsv was reading the meters in reverse, water and sprinkler. We just thought that was the cost of water here until one month I accidentally left the sprinklers on to water over night everyday. With the meters reversed, and the higher rate for house water, we had a HUGE hsv bill. So we learned the hard way about the different rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM

224 posts, read 345,968 times
Madison utilities also has a separate meter for the irrigation system. I have been charged for water even when the system is shut down. I have called them and they said I have a leak.

Four visits from the irrigation company, one from a plumber and one from the utility company have revealed no leak. Madison utility company refuses to admit they have an issue on their end. Last month they added insult to injury and replaced my neighbors meter!

It is the joke of the neighborhood but at my expense. I have given up arguing with these idiots. I can't win.

Last month they charged me $5.00. Other months the overcharge is much more. Apparently my leak is quite temperamental. $50.00 one month, $50.00 another.

I realize my issue is different than the OP but thought you might want to hear it. Read your bill carefully, you could be overcharged. If you are, good luck, you won't win. I have been battling this for almost a year

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM

375 posts, read 514,214 times
Huntsville Utilities has been charging the "availability fees" for electricity, water, and natural gas for a good while now. These fees just went up by a hefty margin as the OP alluded to in his post. They now account for over $25 of my bill and that's before I consume the first gallon of water, cubic foot of gas, or kilowatt of electricity. That's over $300 per year just for me to have "access" to their provided services. I find that to be more than a little ridiculous and emailed their customer support team on Friday saying such and got this short response back:

"The availability charge is used to cover the cost of basic fixed expenses of metering, billing, system maintenance, service connection etc. It is what it costs to make sure the service is available when you as a customer chooses to use it.

I hope this answers your questions if not you can contact our Customer Service department at 256-535-1200 for further information."

That's like McDonald's or Burger King charging you a fee to have buns and beef available to cook your hamburger and to cover the cost of printing receipts, paychecks, etc. I would argue that all of those things listed above in the HU reply fall under the cost of doing business and should be factored into the price they charge for services. Folks shouldn't be billed separately with surcharges and fees to underwrite the cost of doing business.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
...Folks shouldn't be billed separately with surcharges and fees to underwrite the cost of doing business.
I have a feeling we're going to be seeing quite a few new and creative taxes, fees and fines in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area