Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times

Advertisements

I want to do wet shaving. For those of you who don't know, it is going back to the old days and shaving like the men did back in the day. It is either with a straight razor or a safety razor. I bought a safety razor and a pack of refills (variety pack so I can see who which one's I like best). From my research it appears that a badger brush is best. But for now, can anyone recommend where I can get the creams? I see several on amazon, but was wanting to go locally and look at some. For now, I am thinking of getting a cream that doesn't require me to lather it with the brush, since I don't have it yet. Maybe something like this, Amazon.com: Proraso Shaving Cream With Eucalyptus Oil & Menthol (5.2 oz.): Health & Personal Care

So is there any place that I should check out? Anyone have any advice for a first timer?

BTW, what got me started on this is that I got shaved at a barber for the first time and I loved the minty smell, and how smooth my skin was afterwards. I would love to make it part of my ritual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,316,689 times
there is a website Straight Razor Place - Welcome to Straight Razor Place also has a great forum , you could ask there

Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
there is a website Straight Razor Place - Welcome to Straight Razor Place also has a great forum , you could ask there
Thanks!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I use Burt's Bees shaving soap and a badger brush. For after-shave I use Dominica Bay Rum - they have lime-scented and traditional bay rum.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,208,818 times
Badger & Blade - Home is a great resource...

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I use Burt's Bees shaving soap and a badger brush. For after-shave I use Dominica Bay Rum - they have lime-scented and traditional bay rum.
Where do you buy the shave soap and badger brush? I see where you can get it online, but I was kind of itching to do it this weekend (no pun intended).

Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,208,818 times
Target carries a badger-like brush which is actually decent for under $10. I use it as my travel brush and it has held up surprisingly well.

Also, Bath & Body Works at Madison Sq. Mall carries C.O. Bigelow shave cream which is made for them by Proraso and is very popular with a lot of people on B&B. Look for coupons online first...they always have some floating around. Wal-mart used to carry Proraso, but I haven't seen it in stores in awhile.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Target carrier a badger-like brush which is actually decent for under $10. I use it as my travel brush and it has held up surprisingly well.

Also, Bath & Body Works at Madison Sq. Mall carries C.O. Bigelow shave cream which is made for them by Proraso and is very popular with a lot of people on B&B. Look for coupons online first...they always have some floating around. Wal-mart used to carry Proraso, but I haven't seen it in stores in awhile.
Thanks for the Bath & Body Works suggestion. I have read that Proraso is great to use. I will buy the C.O. Bigelow abd use it tomorrow.

I did my first shave last night and was somewhat disappointed. Two things I did wrong was to not wash face first (seems like most people recommend to shave after hot shower) and the other thing I did was to use my can if shave gel.

I was just excited to use my Merkur safety razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Where do you buy the shave soap and badger brush? I see where you can get it online, but I was kind of itching to do it this weekend (no pun intended).
I got everything online - sometimes I can find the Burt's Bees soap cakes in a pharmacy. The badger brushes come in a variety of grades and it's best to start with an affordable "Pure Badger" before moving up to the better grades. The "Pure Badger" grade is 100% badger hair but a bit more coarse than the better grades - and they're often found in pharmacies and discount stores.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
...I did my first shave last night and was somewhat disappointed...
I always make sure the lather in the shaving cup is hot. I load the brush with hot water and create a thick lather in the cup. The thick warm lather softens your beard and allows for a closer shave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area