Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times

Advertisements

That will never pass.....it would cause contract pricing on future road building projects to increase due to increased logistical costs. The rock vulcan rock quarry at Gurley is a done deal and now that this mess has came up, I wouldn't be surprised if they go ahead an put in the concrete and asphalt plants just in case of future opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 41,591 times
Default Gurley Rock Quarry - property values & blasting feedback

My family is considering building a house over in the Hampton Cove area, located on the Taylor Road/Wal-Mart side of Hwy 431.

The main conversation is the approved rock quarry at the Gurly Mountain.

What is the general feeling for the long term property values and safe blasting distances for that area?

My families concern is how far the rock quarry blast will travel toward the hampton cove areas? What is a safe distance for foundation cracks/damage from a quarry blast? Based on google maps, Hwy 431 is approx. 8 miles from hwy 72/gurley.

Plus, what is the sense for long term property values in the area now with the rock quarry?

We are pondering what the long term effect could be for buidling a house.

opinions and links with information is helpful and welcomed

cheers

Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 AM

252 posts, read 321,388 times
As a crow flies, I live about 5 miles from the site. I really do not understand all the fuss. This is a bunch of propaganda to me by people that have too much time on their hands.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
You will hear and feel far more explosions from Redstone Arsenal than you will from the little dynamite blasts at the rock quarry. I live 20 miles away and can hear and feel the blasts from Redstone. There are rock quarries within shorter distances that I didn't even know existed.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM

252 posts, read 321,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You will hear and feel far more explosions from Redstone Arsenal than you will from the little dynamite blasts at the rock quarry. I live 20 miles away and can hear and feel the blasts from Redstone. There are rock quarries within shorter distances that I didn't even know existed.
That is the truth!!

I am curious about the effect of a quarry and sinkholes. I grew up south of Birmingham and we had a very large sinkhole near a limestone quarry. Is that fact or fiction that quarries cause nearby sinkholes??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area