Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,877 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ,

we are planning to move to madison city this summer before the new school year starts. We like to build a house in a new applewood subdivision on Balch but concerned about school district being Columbia Elementary because of its rankings being lower than some other madison schools such as horizon,mill creek and heritage and the possibility of rezoning to west elementary in the future.Could anyone give us some reviews on columbia elementary???? Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
I LOVED Columbia....my son went there. We were EXTREMELY pleased with everyone from the top down at that school.

FYI....Even in Mill Creek, Heritage, and such you risk rezoning as the east ages out and the west grows.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paie View Post
Hello everyone ,

we are planning to move to madison city this summer before the new school year starts. We like to build a house in a new applewood subdivision on Balch but concerned about school district being Columbia Elementary because of its rankings being lower than some other madison schools such as horizon,mill creek and heritage and the possibility of rezoning to west elementary in the future.Could anyone give us some reviews on columbia elementary???? Thank you all in advance
Just to make this easy. You can't go wrong with any school in Madison. It is one of the, if not The premiere district in the state.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I LOVED Columbia....my son went there. We were EXTREMELY pleased with everyone from the top down at that school.

FYI....Even in Mill Creek, Heritage, and such you risk rezoning as the east ages out and the west grows.
Thank you for responding

We really like pearson's plans and amenities they offer ,but we are also wondering if we should stay close to mill creek and move to millstone sub.i did'nt think it would be this hard to decide( And i see your point about rezoning.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Just to make this easy. You can't go wrong with any school in Madison. It is one of the, if not The premiere district in the state.
Thank you for your comforting words

Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM

151 posts, read 296,293 times
You may want to see what the rezoning map looks like at the end of this week. But you could be rezoned again in a few years. Unless you are adjacent to the school I wouldn't think any location is a "sure thing" (and even then maybe not).

Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paie View Post
Thank you for responding

We really like pearson's plans and amenities they offer ,but we are also wondering if we should stay close to mill creek and move to millstone sub.i did'nt think it would be this hard to decide( And i see your point about rezoning.
I would not bet that Millstone is a sure thing to stay in Mill Creek....it sits on the boundary lines of the school zones. Just because it is "close" to Mill Creek does not mean it will always stay in Mill Creek.....look at Foxfield.

One thing you need to understand about Madison....it is a WONDERFUL place to live, ALL the schools are awesome, but we have had EPIC growth and with that comes frequent reevaluation of the school populations. The two with the most problems are Mill Creek and Columbia....both still have new developments ongoing. Mill Creek has the most growth potential....Ashbury, Brighton Park, Stillwater Cove, Whitworth Farms, Greenbriar Woods, and a few other outlying smaller neighborhoods. Columbia has Applewood and Crowne Point. In 2008 I was told land had already been acquired for the 8th elementary (this was BEFORE Mill Creek opened) and Dr. Fowler has eluded during this rezoning to a future 8th elementary school. Until then, you will continue to see them shift the school zones to the east to populate the aged out eastern elementary schools and relieve the overpopulation of the western schools.

Heritage Plantation is probably the SAFEST if you don't want to be rezoned. The developer gave the land to Madison City to build Heritage under the condition that Heritage Plantation would always be zoned for Heritage. Is it a contract, or rock solid legal? I don't know. But I do know they have NEVER been mentioned in ANY rezoning, they are one of the few neighborhoods that hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area