Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM

20 posts, read 37,855 times

Advertisements

This news is rather disappointing to me, as I frequented many downtown spots such as Humphrey's when I lived HSV. While the lofts are a good addition to downtown, these noise complaints baffle me.

Like someone mentioned earlier, the point of downtown living is to enjoy a vibrant culture, which definitely includes music. I currently live in the ATL Metro, after living in HSV until undergrad ended. Loud music from bands/clubs/parks is considered the norm in the city of Atlanta. Granted it's a larger city, but still, it seems like Huntsville is going for a Midtown Atlanta type living atmosphere with the lofts and upcoming downtown stores.

Good information on decibels, Dirt Grinder. I'm sure this study Mayor Battle is doing will allow for an increased decibel limit. If Huntsville really wants to attract young professionals and the like to live downtown, stuff like loud concerts will have to be accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelrj9 View Post
And actually win too. I know at Midway airport (Chicago) that happened and the planes had to move their holding pattern while waiting for their turn to come in.
OH.. I know! The hubbit is FAA retired. Heard a lot of stories about such.

Glad to hear that public outcry might change things downtown tho!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 AM

447 posts, read 557,951 times
I am not suppoting the rule. But it is not that the band cannot play louder than 62 decibel. The rule limits 62 decibel across the street. The radio station likes to use vacuum cleaner as an example. You can use vacuum cleaner in your house, and the house across the street may not hear a thing. To make them get 62 decibel, you have to be a lot louder.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This is why I could never live in a southern city, and consequently this is one of the indicators as to why many southern cities have poor downtowns.

I thought Huntsville would be a little bit more progressive than this, but it's still Alabama. *shrugs*
Santa Fe NM has a vibrant downtown. I dont know whether it counts as southern city.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Santa Fe NM has a vibrant downtown. I dont know whether it counts as southern city.
The south west and the deep south are two completely different entities.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Well I am the OP and the intent of this thread was to display our displeasure with yet another idiotic move by the City of Huntsville which undermines the effort to vitalize the downtown area. In no way did I desire for this to turn into a thread for someone to post their uninformed stereotypical views of the South in general. I have no idea where you are actually from but I assume maybe a large city up North based upon your posts. FYI, most of us, including myself; have absolutely no desire to live in or near one of the large Northern cities. I don't care for the nastiness, the slums, the pan handling and begging, the traffic, the ridiculous cost, etc. I like my big cities just how they are.....at a distance and I go visit them when the mood hits and then return to our clean, beautiful, low crime, low cost of living Alabama.

Now back to the topic. Apparently we have made enough noise we have captured some attention. Mayor Tommy Battle has ordered a study into sound ordinances into downtown entertainment districts of downtown entertainment districts of other cities including larger cities. I am sure they will find that 62 dbs in absurd and I would assume the ordinance will be modified or a special ordinance for entertainment venues will be put in place. If not, then so long downtown Huntsville entertainment venues because no one is going to go to Humphreys or any other music venue downtown and listen to bands whisper their songs. Of course, this study should have been performed prior to a band being given a ticket and bringing negativity upon the City and downtown area once again.
You didn't want people to come on here and post stereotypical views of the south, fair enoug. So you retaliate with posting stereotypical views of the north? Can you say foot in mouth, or hypocrite? You really should practice what you preach.

i'm curious which northern cities you've visited that had the following

I don't care for the nastiness, the slums, the pan handling and begging, the traffic, the ridiculous cost, etc.

I'm also curious which southern cities don't have the exact same things as the northern cities. They're all American cities, but as what is clearly being displayed by your thread, local city law in southern cities seems to hamper downtown growth or flexibility in their smaller cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area