Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,852,815 times

Advertisements

Here we go again. We constantly hear how the City of Huntsville wants to have a vibrant downtown. Who knows how much tax payer's money has been thrown away on poorly planned and executed ideas. Now here comes their latest stroke of genius in the form of a 62 decibel sound ordinance for live bands. Apparently residents at the new Belk Hudson Lofts have been complaining about the live music at Humphrey's bar and grill across the street and this weekend a band was given a $500 ticket for exceeding the 62 decibel limit.

First off, 62 decibels? Really? I know people who talk louder than that. Here is a thought, if you don't want to hear live music on the weekends, don't buy an apartment directly across the street from the bars. When does all this stupidity surrounding downtown ever end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,214,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Here is a thought, if you don't want to hear live music on the weekends, don't buy an apartment directly across the street from the bars. When does all this stupidity surrounding downtown ever end?

I also must add that I have to question the construction (or at least window selection) of these lofts. I have stayed in plenty of hotels in the middle of downtown entertainment districts, as well as the Renaissance Concourse hotel at the ATL airport which is right beside the runway. I have never once lost any sleep in these locations as the windows and doors are typically pretty soundproof. Personally, if I were to ever buy any condo in a downtown area, I would make sure to visit it during the week and on weekends at various times of day to see what the noise level was really like. Huntsville is not helping themselves any by implementing this idiotic ordinance. Last time I checked, vacuum cleaners and hairdryers create more than 62db worth of noise. Are people who live downtown not allowed to dry their hair or vacuum their floors anymore without fear of getting fined?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM

151 posts, read 296,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Last time I checked, vacuum cleaners and hairdryers create more than 62db worth of noise. Are people who live downtown not allowed to dry their hair or vacuum their floors anymore without fear of getting fined?
I think those noises are exempted in Section12-262 (13)

Noise sources within multifamily dwellings, office and apartment complexes, condominiums and similar structures occupied by more than one tenant which impact only those persons within the same dwelling, complex or building.

Here is the ordinance:

http://www.hsvcity.com/natres/noise1.htm#Sec.12-291

Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,285,495 times
Who on earth would move into a new upscale urban loft and COMPLAIN about the noises of the city they want so desperately to live in??????

This would be like moving to 5pts and complaining about hipsters...haha

Now, I can say the bands are loud, but it is ridiculous to ticket a band for $500. Those guys probably barely made that for their gig.

If I could even afford to live in the Belk Hudson (which I would LOVE to) I wouldn't LOVE the loud music, but I certainly wouldn't file a complaint, I mean the bars have been there for decades and I knew going in that I was buying a condo/loft across the street from a major urban entertainment venue.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,141,357 times
Kinda like the folks that buy homes near the airport or in flight paths and then call to complain about the noise every day.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 AM

39 posts, read 92,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Kinda like the folks that buy homes near the airport or in flight paths and then call to complain about the noise every day.

And actually win too. I know at Midway airport (Chicago) that happened and the planes had to move their holding pattern while waiting for their turn to come in.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM

957 posts, read 747,491 times
I thought this was the whole point of living downtown and enjoying the entertainment and such.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 AM

355 posts, read 965,439 times
To be fair, I doubt the residents knew how loud it would be when they moved into their new condos. Not many home tours at 10:00pm to experience the band noise.

Not sure how this could be resolved other than both parties (lofts and Humphrey's) installing noise cancelling items.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM

33 posts, read 61,228 times
The noise ordinance, has been enforced only at the whim of those that are "connected". I have friends, that have complained about the parking garage blowers & cleanup, only to be told that there is nothing that can be done. I would not be surprised, if this was someone complaining that had the authorities "ear".
However, having said that, I am sure that a sound engineer, or an audio dynamics engineer, could solve the problem & get it worked out. The folks at the Belk Hudson Studios, thought they wont the battle. & for a moment they did. However, their facebook "advertising" for a place to enjoy the night life was deluged with negative press & postings. "Woah, now we can't sell these danged things for all this negative publicity. Never figured on that, maybe we need to give this another look, and see if we can work this out instead of using the patronage hammer". Ha, backfired on them.
Anyways I hope it can be worked out, I like going to Humphrey's, and the other venues around the square, with live music. But if I have to sit there and strain to listen to a 62 dB band, I will simly have to go to Deatur to the Brick, or somewhere that doesn't have these insane restrictions.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,998,345 times
This is why I could never live in a southern city, and consequently this is one of the indicators as to why many southern cities have poor downtowns.

I thought Huntsville would be a little bit more progressive than this, but it's still Alabama. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area