Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM

69 posts, read 98,706 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've been thinking a lot lately about moving to Alabama when I'm older. Possibly in my mid 20s (I'm 19 now). I got a couple of questions for the natives and people who have moved from Connecticut, or another state, to Alabama.

First off, since I'm planning on becoming a journeyman HVAC technician, how are the job prospects down there? I'm wanting to get into commercial rather than residential but I'm open to both. It'd be a big positive if you know of anyone who is in the HVAC trade.

And secondly, for those who have moved interstate from one part of Alabama to another, and to those who have moved from out of state to Alabama, how was the process and how did you adjust? I'm mainly going for a new life, since I just want something new. The north weather and attitude isn't my thing, and when I visited Georgia and Tennessee, I definitely decided on ultimately living down south.

Thanks,

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Not sure about north Alabama, but I know there's a demand in south Alabama. Most homes here use heat pumps, which means compressors run year round. During the summer some techs are so swamped they can't get around to all of their calls.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
I can't comment much on the HVAC tech demand, though I'd think the larger the population center the more jobs available. Huntsville is growing constantly, but new installations are probably just a drop in the bucket compared to replacing existing units. You'll get more info once you make contact with some of the local businesses. As mentioned above, there's a labor shortage in the summer as far as repairs. But, you don't hire full time workers so they sit around the rest of the year with nothing to do. The shortage of repairmen in the summer is just part of how the system works.

Edited to add: But the summer might be a good time to come down and get a job due to that shortage. The winter, probably a horrible time. Though adjusting to the heat, especially crawling in an attic on a 100+ heat index day, summer will be harsh on the body.

A good question would be what are the companies that have been around a long time and are stable. I'd tell you who we have always used for our AC stuff, but I don't remember and I'm not going to wake my wife to ask.

As for the culture shock, Huntsville does retain most of the southern culture you can find in other cities despite the majority of it's residents being from other locations. Some of the stereotypes are true (you can get sweet tea everywhere) and some aren't. And while HSV gets on the top 10 lists all the time, we do have bad parts of town just like anywhere else. If the stereotypes about attitude in your area are accurate, you'll be shocked by how friendly the natives are down here. Cause the stereotype about southerners being nice is accurate. It rubs off on newcomers after a few years too.

To get an idea about the weather, here are some generalities I'm making based on the linked climate comparison charts. Huntsville is about 12 degrees warmer than Hartford during the winter and around eight warmer in the summer. We're always more humid than you guys. If you haven't been in the south during the summer when we get a 108 heat index day, you may want to bear that it happens fairly often during the summer. Just stay inside and you'll be fine.

http://goo.gl/NiWRFS

As usual, and since you're young I really don't need to mention this, rent first rather than buying a house.

Ah, to be young and in Huntsville. I did that once. It was pretty cool.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 PM

283 posts, read 434,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
Hi guys,

I've been thinking a lot lately about moving to Alabama when I'm older. Possibly in my mid 20s (I'm 19 now). I got a couple of questions for the natives and people who have moved from Connecticut, or another state, to Alabama.

First off, since I'm planning on becoming a journeyman HVAC technician, how are the job prospects down there? I'm wanting to get into commercial rather than residential but I'm open to both. It'd be a big positive if you know of anyone who is in the HVAC trade.

And secondly, for those who have moved interstate from one part of Alabama to another, and to those who have moved from out of state to Alabama, how was the process and how did you adjust? I'm mainly going for a new life, since I just want something new. The north weather and attitude isn't my thing, and when I visited Georgia and Tennessee, I definitely decided on ultimately living down south.

Thanks,

Michael
If 20 is older, then I'm ancient!

HVAC work in the summer is in high demand. AC systems here are under more and more stress each year as the summers are starting to stay in the heat index danger zones for a month at a time during the summer. I'm not so sure about the winter, but I know we do need heating systems too, and they're usually a part of the HVAC system, so there's work there as well.

I moved to AL with my family back in the late 1980s from MI. The lack of snow was disappointing since I was a kid and loved playing in it. The southern accent was different, but I didn't want to adopt it, so I stayed away from the phonetics shift. People are decently friendly, but the culture has changed a bit as people from the larger metro areas have moved here and brought their more agressive and grumpy ways with them. If you liked Atlanta suburbs, you'll love Huntsville. I lived in Nashville for a few years too, so I can tell you a bit about Huntsville in relation to Nashville if that helps.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:16 PM

How about the economy and overall outlook? I guess you could say there's more work in bigger cities and that's fine but I eventually plan to open up my own shop. Another thing, since I don't want to directly live in that particular city, I was thinking suburb. That's what I really want. It seems cliché to say this but I want an affordable place to live while maintaining a homeostasis between work and play. Being that I want a family one day too, I do want a circle of balance if you get what I mean.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
Well, I live in Hazel Green to the north of Huntsville, and you actually have to drive through Meridianville to get there. HG has great schools but it's really nothing to look at. I personally don't find the cotton gin ugly, but the used car places aren't much in the curb appeal department. At least we own when it comes to the Mexican Restaurants.

Meridianville is 5 miles from Winchester Rd, the northernmost main East/West road in Huntsville. Hazel Green is five miles past Meridianville.

Heading out of Huntsville to the west, you have Madison and Harvest. Ignore the existence of Triana, we all do.

Heading out of Huntsville to the east, you are in Hampton Cove. You can't afford it at 20 years old. The surrounding area is Owen's Crossroads. I know very little about OXR except that Huntsville is swallowing it up. Hampton Cove is actually in Huntsville, but don't tell them that.

If you head south across the Tennessee River, you're in Lacy's Spring. I cannot reccomend this area, though some really like it.

In other threads I've said stuff about never living to the west of where I work every again. I spend a decade driving into the sun on the way to and from work and it is really a quality of life issue with me.

Huntsville economy, compared to the nation, great currently.

Oh, and you might want to look at Calhoun Community College about any HVAC degrees or whatever. They might have them.

But, if you're set on coming down. It's a nice place. But get a job first or have some way to support yourself.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Well, I live in Hazel Green to the north of Huntsville, and you actually have to drive through Meridianville to get there. HG has great schools but it's really nothing to look at. I personally don't find the cotton gin ugly, but the used car places aren't much in the curb appeal department. At least we own when it comes to the Mexican Restaurants.

Meridianville is 5 miles from Winchester Rd, the northernmost main East/West road in Huntsville. Hazel Green is five miles past Meridianville.

Heading out of Huntsville to the west, you have Madison and Harvest. Ignore the existence of Triana, we all do.

Heading out of Huntsville to the east, you are in Hampton Cove. You can't afford it at 20 years old. The surrounding area is Owen's Crossroads. I know very little about OXR except that Huntsville is swallowing it up. Hampton Cove is actually in Huntsville, but don't tell them that.

If you head south across the Tennessee River, you're in Lacy's Spring. I cannot reccomend this area, though some really like it.

In other threads I've said stuff about never living to the west of where I work every again. I spend a decade driving into the sun on the way to and from work and it is really a quality of life issue with me.

Huntsville economy, compared to the nation, great currently.

Oh, and you might want to look at Calhoun Community College about any HVAC degrees or whatever. They might have them.

But, if you're set on coming down. It's a nice place. But get a job first or have some way to support yourself.
Wow, that's some information I got there hahah. As of right now it's a blueprint; there is no doubt in my mind that I will move out from here, it's just a matter of time. As for the community college and HVAC degree, probably by the time I move down I will already have my S-2 (journeyman) HVAC license. However, I'll keep my options open. I've been reading up on places that would be beneficial to me both personally and mentally and it always comes back to the southern states.

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 AM

283 posts, read 434,798 times
Quote:
How about the economy and overall outlook? I guess you could say there's more work in bigger cities and that's fine but I eventually plan to open up my own shop. Another thing, since I don't want to directly live in that particular city, I was thinking suburb. That's what I really want. It seems cliché to say this but I want an affordable place to live while maintaining a homeostasis between work and play. Being that I want a family one day too, I do want a circle of balance if you get what I mean.
Economy is one of the best in the state, and from what I've heard it's had less of a drop in opportunity than the rest of the nation. There's been a lot of new development (commercial and residential) from people moving to the city, so that's been keeping things going for about a year or two. Don't know how much of a hit everything will take once this slows down though.

A suburb of Huntsville is living in the country--septic tanks, huge expanses of land, a 10 minute drive to Walmart, etc. However, it can be the most tranquil way to have the best of both worlds. On a clear night the whole sky lights up with the stars--you can just grab a chair in your backyard and stare at the sky for hours. I really miss that right now.

Huntsville proper doesn't really have the feel of a city. If you know what those suburbs feel like that have a main drag through it with stores along it and then housing tucked in behind it--the whole city of Huntsville is like that, centering on Highway 231/431 (Memorial Parkway), and Highway 72 (University Drive). There's a downtown and some small pockets of city-like culture (like 5 points), but most of it is completely suburbial.

It's definitely a family friendly town--in fact, almost too much. The city actually has problems retaining single professionals because there's nothing to do. Yes, there's a few bars and clubs (literally less than a dozen), but there's not much for the single person to do except eat out with friends. There are pockets of people with similar interests (like the huge number of car enthusiasts in the area), but it's never on the surface of the city. You have to dig to find and seek other people out. Most people don't do this and just move after a year or two.

I've heard that Madison county has the highest divorce rate in the nation. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've seen a lot of people go through it when marrying local. Southern girls aren't the stereotype in Huntsville, so be picky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post

But get a job first or have some way to support yourself.
Very good advice on the drive. There's a very real danger of a terrible accident with the way traffic is backing up these days. Of course, you can just avoid this with odd working hours or manually adjusting yours if need be, especially if you're coming to the area fresh.

Very important point on getting a job before moving. This town is a lot of who you know to get a job vs the normal application process, and it will take time. Better to have that nailed down before you make the move. And definitely come visit and get a good feel for it yourself. I really wish my wife and I had the opportunity to do that before we moved to Milwaukee.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM

283 posts, read 409,056 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Michael
Mr Michael, We have lived in D.C, Georgia, Florida and Virgina and I can tell you this place is sweet, Madison has a lot of job prospects for you here and Our city is growing each and every day but I can tell you we as a people will always keep our Southern ways, this is a city of compassion, love and respect and if you need help around here everyone is reaching to help you. We still say yes mam and thank-you and please and ice tea is a great refreshment after a long day out in the summer sun here. We were welcomed here with everyone being so kind and giving us ideas of where to go and who to trust and It is a trait you don't find many other places. We have churches everywhere and they all come to there communities needs. Great places to live and shop. We have a few fun places to hang out and a family fun . We have towns all around us that you can go to and spend some relaxing time. We are a multi racial family and we have never and I mean never had a cross look or bad work thrown our way since the day we arrived. In Florida it was different and Georgia was terrible. Here there is a large Army base and that makes it great. We have great schools like Calhoun Community, Virgina college and we have Alabama A@M and Uah and one more big school and if you wanted to continue your education they are all great schools. Every place has it's negatives and positives but what you want to look for is what kind of environment you want to be surrounded by. My older son is now 19 yrs old and he works two jobs and starts college this summer 2014. He told me that his is where he wanted to live and work and he knows he will find a quality lady to marry some day from the area. Madison city/Huntsville area is a great environment for the young that do not want to party but to have good clean fun make a great life for themselves. we are one of the top city's in America to live, learn and raise children and our schools are one of the best in the country. Bob Jones was ranked fourth in the state for college ready students and we can all say that any negatives you find the good always out numbers them. I could give you a thousand reasons why to love Madison city and or Huntsville, but truly you need to research it. We came here with nothing and we have made a good living and we are happy here.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 PM

283 posts, read 409,056 times
Quote:
then Madison sounds like your type of place , that's what everyone does here they live in Madison and work in Huntsville, and If you like the outdoors we have all kinds of places for you to have relaxing weekend, from fishing, hiking, biking, and it is a short drive to Birmingham, and Tennessee and you have the plenty of places to go for family fun for kids. twenty minute drive we have a wonderful water park in Decatur and plenty of out in the open spots to have in the Mountains. Monte Santos national park. There is no excuse for anyone to say there is nothing to do here. I found my peace here in Madison,and I will never regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area