Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,038,329 times

Advertisements

Whether this is just a mental exercise or something that could eventually be addressed to the city council, I was thinking of things that damage our city. I've never been to a title pawn. I'm sure most people who are here on city-data haven't ever been so desperate they'll accept 120% interest rates, but these places stay in business so many Huntsvillians must be using them.

I guess the news, since the state of the union will be about the poor tonight, has gotten my head thinking about what can actually be done with minimal legislation. Scam proofing of welfare is a difficult road, and not within local reach anyhow.

The title pawns do a lot of harm, but do they ever do anything good?

And, if there was enough interest in getting them removed, is there a legal way to do it? If not, then nevermind, I guess we're stuck with them.

Have any other municipalities done anything like this?

(Before anyone mentions it, mattress stores are OK.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 AM

89 posts, read 119,017 times
They do all sorts of good. They allow people to keep their nice rides while paying 2million percent interest on them. Isn't that like giving back to the local economy? :P

Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,706 times
The fact is a good percentage of Americans don't understand the concept of interest rates, compounding interest or other basic economic principles. This is the same reason those Rent-to-own places stay in business, where you pay $30/month for 5 years for a TV that sells for $500 at Target.

Shoot, I even saw a place where you can rent your "rims"...wish I had thought of that as I'm sure they make a killing!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM

89 posts, read 119,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
The fact is a good percentage of Americans don't understand the concept of interest rates, compounding interest or other basic economic principles. This is the same reason those Rent-to-own places stay in business, where you pay $30/month for 5 years for a TV that sells for $500 at Target.

Shoot, I even saw a place where you can rent your "rims"...wish I had thought of that as I'm sure they make a killing!
I enjoy seeing when people buy one rim at a time and have the pride to drive around without the full set.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post

I always laugh at these commercials..."only $20" then in very little print it says "a week" for an xbox/wii/PS3....for 12 months...lol....the system costs $400...they end up paying almost $1000...

People amaze me sometimes...it's sad, but true...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,970 times
Alabama has some of the weakest regulation of pawn shops so you can blame the legislature for that. I don't know if Huntsville could close down pawn shops but if it could what good what that do? They would just reopen in Madison county or some other nearby county. That would then just make people drive a little farther that is all.

Right now high school students are required to take a one semester economics course. I suggest they should also have a second required course on personal finance. Of course that would still not help the people that drop out of school.

You can have some regulations with regards to predatory practices but you can't expect the government to hold everyone's hand when people make all spending decisions. In a free country people have a right to be stupid. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Pawn shops have been around for over 3000 years so i don't see them going away any time soon. Eliminating them will just make activities like this move underground where there will be absolutely no regulations or consumer protections. Also some desperate people will be forced into illegal activities such as crime to get the money they want.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 PM

24 posts, read 52,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Whether this is just a mental exercise or something that could eventually be addressed to the city council, I was thinking of things that damage our city. I've never been to a title pawn. I'm sure most people who are here on city-data haven't ever been so desperate they'll accept 120% interest rates, but these places stay in business so many Huntsvillians must be using them.

I guess the news, since the state of the union will be about the poor tonight, has gotten my head thinking about what can actually be done with minimal legislation. Scam proofing of welfare is a difficult road, and not within local reach anyhow.

The title pawns do a lot of harm, but do they ever do anything good?

How, exactly, do title pawn shops "damage our city"?

On another note, just because one might accept what another would consider a usury interest rate does not necessarily make one desperate. Have you considered that some people knowingly choose to live beyond their means and accept the fact that they are building debt? Have you considered the fact that some of those who choose this route may not have access to other credit/income sources to satisfy their desires/wants? Notice that I did not write needs.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM

482 posts, read 991,697 times
I don't think what we need is more government interference. People should educate themselves and know what they're getting themselves in to. If they're ok with that, then why should the government decide what's good for them? If I wanted to eat a fat steak with a ton of butter, it's probably not good for me......but it's my choice. I don't want the government telling me whether or not I can have steak anymore.

On the other hand, if the government wants to try and educate people about the dangers of these things (if we could actually afford it)......then I wouldn't have as big of an issue with that. Educate more, regulate less.

In my opinion, the government shouldn't be a safety net for people that make bad choices.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,282,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Right now high school students are required to take a one semester economics course. I suggest they should also have a second required course on personal finance. Of course that would still not help the people that drop out of school.
Thank you!

I have been saying that since I was in High School. Almost no one I knew in High School managed money well then or now.

Peoples parents either do nothing or just say "credit BAD" and leave it at that. People need financial education NOT Financial Abstinence.

I like how I brought that around to a fiery topic!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 13,129 times
Pawn shops are good for low income people. If you understand ecomomics you get it. Pawn shops have saved me on several occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area