Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times

Advertisements

So, tomorrow we are having the inspector come out and look at the new house we are buying. Just at cursory glance on my own, I found two issues which I'm not sure are big deals or not:

1. Crack in garage concrete right where the concrete meets up with the house running the entire length of the garage.

2. Front door frame does not appear to be flush with the brick.

I'm not sure if those two issues are big or not.

What other things should I ask the inspector on a new home? Any advice in general?

We are getting radon done sperately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
He's being paid to pick it apart. He'll note those.

There were a few things that our inspector found that I didn't even understand what he was talking about at the time. At the closing, the previous owner said "I don't know what he's talking about" and now, after living there five years, I know EXACTLY what he was talking about. My ignorance, and the previous owners obviously feigned ignorance, should not have deterred me. Basically, when the previous owner hung the doors, he did a horrible job. Hooooooorible. But you don't realize it at first.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM

35 posts, read 46,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
What other things should I ask the inspector on a new home? Any advice in general?
Ask the inspector if they recommend a structural inspection. With cracks and detached door frames, it probably would be a good idea to have a structural engineer sign off on things. Home inspectors can make observations about structural integrity, but they'll be the first to tell you that they are not experts. (Unless your home inspector IS a structural engineer.)

Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthOctave View Post
Ask the inspector if they recommend a structural inspection. With cracks and detached door frames, it probably would be a good idea to have a structural engineer sign off on things. Home inspectors can make observations about structural integrity, but they'll be the first to tell you that they are not experts. (Unless your home inspector IS a structural engineer.)

The door frame issue isn't that its seperating or anyting. It just looks like a) the brick wasn't installed evenly or b) the door frame was installed properly.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:54 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
So, tomorrow we are having the inspector come out and look at the new house we are buying. Just at cursory glance on my own, I found two issues which I'm not sure are big deals or not:

1. Crack in garage concrete right where the concrete meets up with the house running the entire length of the garage.

2. Front door frame does not appear to be flush with the brick.

I'm not sure if those two issues are big or not.

We are getting radon done sperately.
I would just be sure to point those out to the inspector. Feel free to ask him any questions that you may have as he goes thru the house. He'll find things you never see.

I'm assuming Curtis is your construction super....he handles Inspiration Point but there has been A LOT of houses going up and they sometimes bring another in to help out from a slower neighborhood. Curtis is a great guy....he's Barry Phillip's son so he has good building genes

Who are you using?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I would just be sure to point those out to the inspector. Feel free to ask him any questions that you may have as he goes thru the house. He'll find things you never see.

I'm assuming Curtis is your construction super....he handles Inspiration Point but there has been A LOT of houses going up and they sometimes bring another in to help out from a slower neighborhood. Curtis is a great guy....he's Barry Phillip's son so he has good building genes

Who are you using?

Curtis will be at the walk through on Thursday.

I am using Mike Dove for the inspection and Steve Handback(sp) for Radon.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Be sure to follow Mike around the entire time, look over his shoulder at all times and ask a bazillion questions....he LOVES that!

Seriously, he's a great inspector. Feel free to pick his brain about anything you are concerned with. He's pretty brutally honest and he'll give you his opinion and usually some great suggestions. Steve is a good inspector as well. You are in good hands.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 PM

468 posts, read 907,695 times
My inspector was recommended by my lender (Supreme). I did not argue with their choice as they were very good from start to finish. I trusted them 100% (and still do and will recommend them to anyone willing to listen).

You should try asking your lender -
1. Lenders have lots of skin in the house purchase process. It is in their best interest to see everything proceed smoothly with a house that has zero issues.
2. Overall ease of communication (between inspector and lender)

Just my 2 cents...

Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
My inspector was recommended by my lender (Supreme). I did not argue with their choice as they were very good from start to finish. I trusted them 100% (and still do and will recommend them to anyone willing to listen).

You should try asking your lender -
1. Lenders have lots of skin in the house purchase process. It is in their best interest to see everything proceed smoothly with a house that has zero issues.
2. Overall ease of communication (between inspector and lender)

Just my 2 cents...
Inspectors and lenders don't generally communicate and unless something comes up on the appraisal the lenders don't get into the business of repairs. I've never had a lender communicate with the inspector so I'm not sure what you are referencing there?? The appraiser is their eyes and there to protect their interests, not the home inspector. The home inspector is there to protect the buyer.

The only other "inspection" the lender cares anything about is the termite. On government backed loans you HAVE to do a termite inspection. On conventional you do not, the only reason around here they still want that or a bond is because we have put that in our contract, and the lenders do have to abide by what the contract states. I've never done this, but we CAN strike that paragraph from the contract that deals with the termite letter and the buyer would not have to do anything in that regards for the lender (on a conventional only).

The lenders are simply ensuring that the loan they are processing conforms with FNMA underwriting guidelines so that they can turn right around and sell the paper to someone else, a lot of times before closing. The appraiser is the only person in the process that truly is looking out for their interests....and that is minimal in regards to repairs, its mainly valuation. A CON appraiser can make an appraisal "subject to repairs/corrections" but it has to be pretty grievous and the home in a state of extreme disrepair, and VA/FHA tend to just nit pick smaller things...handrails, peeling paint, ventless gas fireplace certifications, etc. Neither does a true "inspection".

Last edited by LCTMadison; 03-12-2014 at 04:24 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 AM

458 posts, read 617,583 times
I would bring up both points if they bother you. Can't hurt. They certainly aren't going to fix it after you close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area