Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:08 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,805 times

Advertisements

Times are hard, wish they weren't hard on me.

So, I already know about College Tire to get cheap tires (actually got really good Michelins) and the battery store on Washington, which I think is actually called The Battery Store.

But now it's brakes. Where's the best brake place for the economically disadvantaged fellow?

(Though I do insist on non-dusting brake pads.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,969 times
Thats a tough one. Last time I needed new brakes I went to a local guy down off of Triana I went to school with, but he closed up shop years ago.

I've heard good and bad things about Budget Brakes. A guy at my work had a real bad experience with them. Another friend had positive experience.

I've had dusting and non-dusting brakes before. I prefer the ones that dust. The non-dusting ones( ceramic I think) warped my rotors and I went through two sets of rotors to a set of pads. Just my preference though.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,214 times
Ceramic doesn't dust, but have a tendency to squeal AND warp rotors.

The dust ones brake better, but ceramic last longer, but it only lasts as long as your rotors.

I would not recommend budget brakes, but I wouldn't recommend cheap brakes on anyones car.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:31 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post

So, I already know about College Tire to get cheap tires (actually got really good Michelins) and the battery store on Washington, which I think is actually called The Battery Store.

But now it's brakes. Where's the best brake place for the economically disadvantaged fellow?

True for most of us.

My newer car has to have expensive foreign treatment. (he thinks he's a prince)

My daily driver is still loved but I must save somewhere. In fact I took it in yesterday to Firestone for an alignment and new Michelins on the front. I have their lifetime alignment warranty that is good across the country. 100.
I have used them for everything now for about four years. I had a bad experience with a local mechanic that I had used for about ten years and there just was no one else nearby. (don't like long bed rides for the car if I can help it)
They called yesterday and told me that none of the things that I thought might need work did.

That is a real honesty issue in my book. Most places will do work if you suggest you think something is amiss . The same personnel are there which is a good sign. They are always busy in a better part of town which is also a good sign.

I pay less for everything than I have before. I knew I was paying more with the dealer but of course there was the warranty. But with the independent mechanic, I found after moving to Firestone how much things should have cost.

I use to be one that did not even consider the national brands. I think there are some bad boys out there. But I don't know if I have just found a special Firestone, or if the company is being well managed.

I like being able to say this about the car repair experience because it can be treacherous.

Leaving to go pick up the car right now. Their hours are really good too. The indies are usually gone by five.

Good luck,
Raj

Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,837,463 times
Ceramic pads technically do not warp rotors. Heat warps rotors. Ceramic pads work better hot than standard semi-metallic and therefore people who ride their brakes, especially going down hill have a tendency to overheat their rotors and warp them. It is really a driver problem more than a brake pad problem since knuckleheads don't know to let their brakes cool every now and then instead of riding them from the top of Monte Sano all the way to the bottom.

The semi-metallic over heat at a significantly lower temperature than ceramics. I wouldn't use the cheaper organic pads on a lawn mower.

Brake dust will ruin your wheels by the way. When it gets wet it creates a corrosive compound that will eat chrome and through clear coat and will totally ruin aluminum. I would never run the pads that dust with chrome wheels, it will pit them and then the chrome will begin to peel.

I have ran Ceramic pads exclusively for over 10 years now and have had no more warped rotors than I used to have with regular brake pads. I actually have a set of front rotors with 340,000 miles on them right now that have never seen anything but ceramics (the oem pads were ceramic). I have only change the pads 3 times.....the ceramic pads last around 100,000 miles.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM

I can't do dusting pads on general principles. I've seen too many good looking cars with the front wheels looking horrible with dust. Not gonna be me.

Yeah, I was thinking budget brakes. What I'm really fishing for is low per-hour labor that is competent. When I mentioned this to my wife, she said "What brake place is on Washington Street?" As if Washington Street is a brand name for cheap, decent work. (Though it usually is.)

I'll wait until the next coupon envelope shows up at the house. There's always a Budget Brakes coupon in there.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM

Uh, I find it interesting that Budget Brake's website shows a map that shows they have a 2/5 star rating at Google+.

Huntsville, Alabama – University Drive NW | Budget Brakes

And actually looking at the 10 reviews, it's a total of 15 stars, five of which are from the only favorable review. And 1.5 rounds up to two.

Hmm.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 AM

266 posts, read 396,731 times
Which Firestone did you go to?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
What kind of vehicle is it? Brakes are generally a pretty easy DIY project. You can order them from somewhere like Amazon or Rockauto.com and save a ton of money. I just installed a new set of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads on my 05 Titan for around $40. Took less than an hour to do both sides.

I don't trust many brake places since they seem to charge a small fortune for a really simple repair. Ceramic pads don't dust nearly as bad but they do make your brakes squeal until they heat up. My brakes always squeal the first time I apply them when cold. Then it goes away.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post

Oh and be wary of tires from College. I bought a set of like new tires for our Expedition. Specifically asked if they had any plugs or patches and was told no. I was driving home 3 days later and the low pressure light came on. Had a big bubble in the tread. Took it to a tire shop and when they dismounted the tire it had a big patch on the inside and had been painted black to not be noticeable. I then had to spend an additional $700 on a new set of tires because College refused to warranty it. Said they were used tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: