Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:58 PM

266 posts, read 397,084 times

Advertisements

OMG, Champaign Lane totally rocks. The wife and I were driving around this past Saturday looking for a desk for me and popped into Champaign Lane and I was in heaven in that tool room in the back of the store. Will have to stay away from there for the sake of my wallet.

So hard to find furniture at any sort of thrift store that isn't particle board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 PM

442 posts, read 647,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Where is Habitat for Humanity store?
You can find more info about the Habitat ReStore on the web page:
ReStore | Habitat For Humanity

I think there is also one in Athens

Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Lightbulb Salvation Army thrift store in City of Madison

Quote:
I've taken tons of things to Asbury thrift store in madison, but went in there to shop for the first time last week and wow....what a huge disappointment! In the back where you drop things off, there are literally mountains of stuff and the loading dock is always overflowing, but the store didn't have hardly anything, especially not in the way of furniture. And the prices were high for a thrift store. I'm glad I went in because I won't be taking my stuff there anymore. I'll donate to a church or something where they give the items to people in need, rather than resell it. If anyone knows of a good charity for kid & baby clothing & items, etc. let me know.
The Salvation Army recently opened a thrift store in the City of Madison at 385 Hughes Road in the old post office building. That is not very far from Asbury Thrift Store.

You may want to check it out: The Salvation Army ALM News Blog The Salvation Army of Huntsville extends reach into Madison County with new thrift store » The Salvation Army ALM News Blog

The Salvation Army would be a good cause to donate to and buy from.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
I'm in the market for an old/vintage buffet or credenza that I can paint or do something funky to and use as a media stand for our 60" TV. New media centers (that I like) are cost-prohibitive, so I'm looking to go this route.

I've taken tons of things to Asbury thrift store in madison, but went in there to shop for the first time last week and wow....what a huge disappointment! In the back where you drop things off, there are literally mountains of stuff and the loading dock is always overflowing, but the store didn't have hardly anything, especially not in the way of furniture. And the prices were high for a thrift store. I'm glad I went in because I won't be taking my stuff there anymore. I'll donate to a church or something where they give the items to people in need, rather than resell it. If anyone knows of a good charity for kid & baby clothing & items, etc. let me know.

OK, that was off-topic....my original question is about antique and/ thrift stores for FURNITURE. Any ones have better selection than others?

I'd be willing to spend up to $300, depencing on the condition of item.
Your best bet is Craiglist or those online yard sales on Facebook....I see things like that ALL THE TIME.

Problem right now is everyone is a DIYer with Pinterest and since chalk paint has become all the rage, people are snatching stuff up left and right from the thrift stores to repurpose it....and there are several local businesses that have popped up that are doing this as well.

Or literally check the thrift stores all the time. Asbury has a nice one. You might also check the Plucky Peacock on 72 between Madison/Athens. She buys old furniture and repurposes it and has several pieces that might fit what you are looking for. Check their Facebook page for their sale dates, as they are not open every day, and she will announce when she has a bunch of new pieces hitting the floor. I have heard people line up before they open to get in on the first day she puts her new inventory out.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 06-10-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,039 times
Oh wow....just checked out Plucky Peacock & University Pickers on Facebook. Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM

211 posts, read 340,880 times
I'm so surprised to not see Firehouse Antiques on S Parkway not mentioned that I keep thinking I'm just missing it. So yeah, check out Firehouse Antiques. They have lots of furniture.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM

493 posts, read 713,613 times
Default Hartlex Antiques & Interiors

Quote:
I'm in the market for an old/vintage buffet or credenza that I can paint or do something funky to and use as a media stand for our 60" TV. New media centers (that I like) are cost-prohibitive, so I'm looking to go this route.

OK, that was off-topic....my original question is about antique and/ thrift stores for FURNITURE. Any ones have better selection than others?

I'd be willing to spend up to $300, depencing on the condition of item.
For antique stores I like Hartlex Antiques off of Hughes Road in Madison: Hartlex Antiques & Interiors

If they have what you want it could be more expensive than what you are looking to spend but you never know. I purchased a wrought iron and wood wine rack from them several years ago and it was only $25.00 plus tax. I would have been willing to pay twice that for it.

And since you mentioned donating to a church next time instead of donating to the Asbury thrift store I would like to add that I thought that the Asbury thrift store was associated with Asbury United Methodist Church in Madison but I could be wrong?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
And since you mentioned donating to a church next time instead of donating to the Asbury thrift store I would like to add that I thought that the Asbury thrift store was associated with Asbury United Methodist Church in Madison but I could be wrong?
Asbury Community Thrift Store | Home

The Asbury Thrift Store Inc. is a corporate entity, separate and distinct from Asbury UMC, which works in cooperation with Asbury UMC and other churches in the community. The Thrift store is located at our new location on Portal Lane in Madison. Here at the Thrift Store we accept donations of all sorts, providing a source of reasonably priced merchandise to the community in need.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,991 times
Quote:
Oh wow....just checked out Plucky Peacock & University Pickers on Facebook. Thanks for the tip!!!
I just did as well! Thank you!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
I just did as well! Thank you!!!
You are welcome! I have become quite obsessed with chalk paint!!

Also, Art and Soul in Hampton Cove, she has lots of pieces she has repurposed. And there are also some locals who post those on the Facebook yard sales.

Southern Accents in Cullman is also well worth the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area