Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM

442 posts, read 647,774 times

Advertisements

Madison resident giving away power, but you'll need an electric car to get it | AL.com

Quote:
MADISON, Alabama - Jeff Baker is giving away power.

There's just one catch. You'll need an electric car and be in the Madison area for an hour or so to make it worth your time.

The electrical engineer who lives at 105 Cottonwood Trail in Madison, has listed his home charging station as a public hook-up with the Alabama Center for Sustainable Energy. It's now one of only two public charging stations in Madison and among 11 in the Madison/Huntsville area.

"I've always been bent toward saving energy and reducing pollution since I was a child," he said. "I've been looking for ways to support other people who are into the same things and also to use it for awareness."

Baker bought his first electric car, a Chevy Volt, a year ago and uses it for a daily commute to Redstone Arsenal. Once he had the vehicle, he began researching where to find other public charging stations and realized there was a need to help others in the same battery-dependent situation.

As for how he feels about strangers parking in his driveway, Baker said people who drive electric cars are the kind who tend to look out for each other, so he's not worried.

Baker lives within walking distance to Madison Public Library, Kroger and restaurants in the Hughes/Mill road area as well as the planned new shopping center at the corner of Wall Triana Highway and Browns Ferry Road. There probably won't be many local electric car drivers who would park in his driveway, but Baker said motorists who travel long distances will try to map out a route of public charging stations.

Other than two public charging stations in Decatur, Baker has the closest one to Interstate 65.
Read more at: Madison resident giving away power, but you'll need an electric car to get it | AL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times
A neighbor and I talked about a Compressed NG charging station in our neighborhood.

This sounds cool for the traveler. I meet lots of different kinds of people in my car part dealings, so it could be fun.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 PM

483 posts, read 630,874 times
Great, now I can afford a Tesla!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area