Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,944 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I just read that someone from CA found health food/Amy's stuff and want to ask where she/he buys them. We have TRader Joe's, Whole Foods and Wegmans in Fairfax VA (will miss my TJs and Weggies a lot). What are the top grocery chains? I think one is Publix. Any other? Any alternatives?

Any interesting, off the wall, fun places to eat that aren't chain franchises? Love the franchise restaurants but like a little variety too.

We're heading down to check the area out in a few weeks. Any input or recommendations would be nice.

OH, and here's a dumb one: where do you buy in AL? In TN it was only purchased in private owned stores. Do your grocery stores sell wine or do we have to go to separate stores for that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Publix is in Huntsville and IMHO one of the best stores around. There is Krogers and Family Markets plus Natural market.

You can buy wine and beer in grocery stores. Hard liquor can be bought at private liquor stores (they also sell beer and wine) or the State store (ABC) which only sells liquor. No hard liquor sold on Sundays, but you can buy beer and wine in Huntsville on Sunday.

You have to try the BBQ while you are here. They make a white bbq sauce for chicken that is really good and different.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM

410 posts, read 1,654,391 times
The best health food store bar none in Huntsville is Garden Cove Produce. It mostly caters to people with special diets, though, like gluten-free and vegan options. The produce section is excellent, the freshest around, and is mostly locally grown plus extra specialty items that rotate in and out.

There is a Fresh Market, which is similar to Whole Foods, in southeast Huntsville. Coming from an area with lots competition in this kind of market, the prices at Fresh Market nearly gave me heart failure. And I thought Publix was overpriced. But Fresh Market does have some foods I haven't seen elsewhere.

Most of the Kroger's have a small health food section. Also pricey, but if you desire is just for a few things like Amy's entrees, it's not any more expensive than any of the other local places.

There are also seasonal farmer's markets and CSA farms in Alabama, plus local options for high quality organic-style meat and eggs from local farmers.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 101,565 times
My husband and I always go to Rosie's Mexican Cantina when we visit HSV (usually several times, at that). It is by far the best Mexican restaurant I have been too, not to mention the ambiance is amazing. As far as I know, they don't have a website but I wrote a review for them on Yelp (a reviewing site that is very popular in the Bay Area).

Rosie's Mexican Cantina - Huntsville, AL

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,208 times
Star Market is a local grocery. The original one is in the Five Points area downtown. They have another in Meridianville (or is it Hazel Green???) and a third out west on US72 in Madison. Their produce is hit and miss but their beef and pork is incredible, the best for the money in town IMO. I second the Garden Cove recommendation. Locally owned, lots of vegetarian, vegan, supplements, vitamins and stuff you can't find other places and they have a very friendly staff. The European Market is a great little shop off of South Parkway (east side between Airport and Drake) with stuff from all over Europe with an emphasis on Eastern Europe/Russia/Germany (the owner is Russian). They have a deli case with lots of interesting sausages, meats and cheeses. Most of the packaging doesn't even have English on it, so I usually ask the owner, who is always really nice in explaining what is in it and how much she enjoys it or doesn't enjoy it.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,944 times
Wow Thanks! I'm writing the recommendations down and bringing them with me. My husband loves BBQ and we all love Mexican. Can't wait to check out the places.

Christine

Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Here is a link to another post asking similiar questions about restaurants and things to see while in the area to give you some more ideas.

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...e-decatur.html

Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
SuperTarget, of all places, has Amy's and one or two other Vegan brand offerings...(I eat meat, husband does not.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area