Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 AM

614 posts, read 766,569 times

Advertisements

I live in the Harvest area on 5 acres. I have chickens, ducks, catfish pond, and cattle. I can put up any color curtains I want, I can pee on trees, I can leave old trucks in my driveway, and I really like my south of the border neighbors who live in a trailer. In 32 years we have only had significant tornado damage once, and lost some trees a few other times so that isn't as much of an issue as others have suggested. The days of buying enough land for a proper mini-farm in Madison county are about gone. Look into land just north of the state line around Taft, TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 05:58 AM

10 posts, read 10,462 times
Thanks CatFishn2000, that happens to be an area of consideration for us. I think our upcoming trip will help us narrow our decisions some. Much appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"My wife and I are middle aged, professional, and have no kids at home. We prefer older homes in established neighborhoods and don't like the macmansion lifestyle so many others adore."

Please explain what part of "country" knowledge we were supposed to glean from that. Last time I checked, there are no "established neighborhoods" in the country or on farmland...

Following logical deduction based upon information presented is not "jumping" to conclusions. If you had mentioned feral pigs instead of established neighborhoods you would have had a different response. GIGO
Well then, my apologies for giving you any reason to read between the lines and make assumptions based on my poor ability to communicate properly.

But I will turn the question back on you and ask, what in my OP says, "I've got no country knowledge."?

Just as you might not could gleen that I do, you also couldn't glean that I do not without jumping to a conclusion - either way. That's just simple fact of reading comprehension. If you were asked if you could tell on a test, you would have to answer, "not enough information is available".

Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We live in the country and LOVE it, but I would suggest that you look more at places within the city, or Athens, or Decatur. It is an entirely different lifestyle in the country. Do you like to bush hog? Do you know how to deal with feral dogs? Do you enjoy using a chainsaw? Do you understand that tractors are more important than cars? If not, live in city limits.

I don't think you necessarily have to own a bush hog, deal with feral dogs, or have chainsaws on hand. I also don't think you necessarily need to own a tractor either.... I've lived in the country since I moved here in 2001 and have only needed a chainsaw twice. Never dealt with the dog issue or owned (or needed) a tractor.

OP.... if you're not against driving a little further to the airport, I'd mention somewhere like Paint Rock Valley as well. It's in Jackson county just Northeast of Gurley, but it's pretty nice out there and smack dab in the country. You're looking at about a 30 minute drive to HSV airport, but land is much cheaper than Huntsville.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:11 AM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Bush Hogs are needed to tame the land, but once the brush is under control, a good, quality mower (not from a box store) can keep the land down. Plenty of folks with a tractor for hire.

Drop off dogs are sometimes an issue, but a call to the pound, or more extreme measures take care of them quickly.

As for a chainsaw, everyone should own one no matter where you live. It's just a cool toy. For the chainsaw snobs such as myself there are only two brands, Stihl and Husky. One of either of those will last a lifetime.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't think you necessarily have to own a bush hog, deal with feral dogs, or have chainsaws on hand. I also don't think you necessarily need to own a tractor either.... I've lived in the country since I moved here in 2001 and have only needed a chainsaw twice. Never dealt with the dog issue or owned (or needed) a tractor.

OP.... if you're not against driving a little further to the airport, I'd mention somewhere like Paint Rock Valley as well. It's in Jackson county just Northeast of Gurley, but it's pretty nice out there and smack dab in the country. You're looking at about a 30 minute drive to HSV airport, but land is much cheaper than Huntsville.
Thanks, I'll check that area out as well.

Do you or others know much about the Bankhead National Forest area? Found some places for sale that are in the forest itself, which is quite interesting.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:57 AM

582 posts, read 827,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I live in the Harvest area on 5 acres. I have chickens, ducks, catfish pond, and cattle. I can put up any color curtains I want, I can pee on trees, I can leave old trucks in my driveway, and I really like my south of the border neighbors who live in a trailer. In 32 years we have only had significant tornado damage once, and lost some trees a few other times so that isn't as much of an issue as others have suggested. The days of buying enough land for a proper mini-farm in Madison county are about gone. Look into land just north of the state line around Taft, TN.
Whatever you do, don't do that.

It sucks up here.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I live on the edge of Bankhead. I'm surrounded by woods and some pastures with virtually no near neighbors. It does have it's merits but do keep in mind you are fairly isolated and when you do have to go to town for shopping, dr appts, etc.. it's a ride. I like that we can pretty much do anything we want and bother no one. There is a cow pasture behind our property line (which is wooded) that looks almost identical to the pic that FTG posted above. As a matter of fact, I had to do a double take because it looked so much like it, save for a pond that would be in ours. My husband loves it and would never consider living in town. We are now older than we once were and he has some health issues and if he has to go in the hosp, I have quite a ride back and forth and its very wearying (the downside). Before he retired (from FAA), he worked at the airport and it's close to an hour ride from our home. Bankhead is big and it could be a longer ride depending on where you planted. If you know you won't have to take too many rides into town (have a large spare freezer and good pantry) then it's great. We have never had a prob with tornados where we are but, they are quite unpredictable and you never know where one can end up. We have more traffic on our road than you would think as it seems we are on a road that the logging trucks like to used coming out of the backside of Bankhead and Brushy lake. You can get much more home and land for the money out here than in town and although there hasn't ever been much trouble out here, you are your own security force. And everyone is.. probably why there isn't much trouble out here, lol.

If you were to choose to live more in town, closer to services, I would recommend SE Huntsville. Established neighborhoods, sizable homes, better prices and not far from anyplace you would need to go.

Our roof. There's actually a shop out there too but you just can't see it thru the trees. Also, on a hill.
Oh, and where we are satellite is our only option for internet. Cable stops 3 miles from the house and dsl, the same. They have promised me they will never run the wires in our direction. It depends on where you are around Bankhead as to whether or not cable or dsl is available.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
As far as Bankhead is concerned you should keep in mind that cellular service is 'very limited'. In fact, if you check provider maps you will see that the northwest part of the state southward toward Tuscaloosa is barely serviced.

I suspect the opening I-22 will be a catalyst to that changing, however slowly.

Good luck on your search.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Again, depends on which part of Bankhead you are near. I get 4G with my verizon. If I have a samsung or LG phone I get dropped calls. If I have a Motorola... I have 0 issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area