Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,958 times

Advertisements

Hello, within the next 3-6 months (depending on how quickly my current home sells), i'll be moving from Tennessee to Huntsville. I live in southern Tennessee right now, over an hour from Huntsville, and have been to Huntsville and Madison on and off for the past 5 years, so i know the area but don't know the good areas to live in.

About me: in my 40s, single, no children, and will have my almost-80 elderly mother living with me as well, i also work from home. So good school districts and driving distance to work are of no concern to me.

My main concerns: low crime, good neighborhood in general, not a very crowded area (my mother will be driving too and she doesn't like heavy traffic/highways/interstate). We don't need much land (actually, my current home is on 6 acres and it's way too big for me; i'd like an acre or even less), 3 bedroom, 2 or 2.5 bath, in the $150-220K price range.

Huntsville or Madison would be best. We like shopping, and i did like the mountains and the Monte Sano area (went hiking there a couple of times), but that's icing on the cake. Also, we're Korean so is there any sort of Asian market/grocery or Korean churches there? The reason i ask is i'd previously lived in a larger city (than where i currently live) that had those, again, not deal breakers, but would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Moving2HuntsvillefromTN; 08-20-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:55 PM

442 posts, read 648,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2HuntsvillefromTN View Post
Hello, within the next 3-6 months (depending on how quickly my current home sells), i'll be moving from Tennessee to Huntsville. I live in southern Tennessee right now, over an hour from Huntsville, and have been to Huntsville and Madison on and off for the past 5 years, so i know the area but don't know the good areas to live in.

About me: in my 40s, single, no children, and will have my almost-80 elderly mother living with me as well, i also work from home. So good school districts and driving distance to work are of no concern to me.

My main concerns: low crime, good neighborhood in general, not a very crowded area (my mother will be driving too and she doesn't like heavy traffic/highways/interstate). We don't need much land (actually, my current home is on 6 acres and it's way too big for me; i'd like an acre or even less), 3 bedroom, 2 or 2.5 bath, in the $150-220K price range.

Huntsville or Madison would be best. We like shopping, and i did like the mountains and the Monte Sano area (went hiking there a couple of times), but that's icing on the cake. Also, we're Korean so is there any sort of Asian market/grocery or Korean churches there? The reason i ask is i'd previously lived in a larger city (than where i currently live) that had those, again, not deal breakers, but would be nice.

Thanks in advance!
Madison traffic can be pretty bad at times.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:14 AM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
choose anywhere in the area except north Huntsville ....

Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 AM

301 posts, read 334,094 times
Why not North Huntsville?

Old 08-21-2015, 08:48 AM

66 posts, read 83,606 times
Welcome to Huntsville, and I am Korean as well. Madison do have bad traffic, but it will be fine as long as you don't drive during the rush hours. Most of younger Korean people like myself live in Madison. However, I think that South Huntsville area may be the best area for you since some area don't really have heavy traffic and also have a low crime rate.

Also, we have about four Korean markets and more than ten Korean churches. Try going to Holiday Foods Asian Market, which just got renovated and opened this year. I also go to one of the Korean churches in Huntsville and DM me so that I can help you find the church.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM

468 posts, read 908,024 times
1. Yes - there are Korean churches here.
2. Yes - there are lots of Asian groceries here.

The 4 I know are located on -
1. 7193 Hwy 72 W Madison AL 35758 (called Far East Market)
2. 8108 Memorial Pkwy SW, Huntsville, AL 35802 (called Far East Market too)
3. 8760 Madison Blvd, Madison, AL 35758 (called Than Hung)
4. 504 Jordan Lane, Huntsville - (called Choi's)

There are lots of options where you want to live. We have our favorite but we usually frequent 2 to enjoy the full gamut of choices. Far East Market and Than Hung are the big ones ... but no where close to what you would find in bigger cities.

Work with a realtor like LCTMadison or ElizabethG ... they are really knowledgeable about this area.

Last edited by RatSnake; 08-21-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 AM

583 posts, read 828,060 times
There's also an Asian market on Old Madison Pike in the strip mall behind the Texaco at Shelton Road. Don't recall the name or even if it's still open since I haven't been down there for +2 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: