Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:07 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
anyone remember when the Saturn V replica was originally proposed to have the whole gantry thing attached with a restaurant at the top? am I making that up? and you're right, I'm pretty sure it's about 365' tall.

for reference, the tallest building in Birmingham is 454'. it was the tallest in the state until the RSA tower in mobile was built.

interesting about the top golf poles, as I just noticed the ones going up here in Birmingham. definitely noticeable along I-20. not the tallest thing currently under construction here though.
Honestly, I'm not sure those golf poles and nets are all that attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Oh no, I agree completely.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:53 AM

198 posts, read 250,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure those golf poles and nets are all that attractive.
It's just that in Huntsville it's on a Major road vs and off of a random highway in other cities. What matters is how much it will benefit the city. It won't be as visible as it is now when MidCity is completed.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSHSV View Post
It's just that in Huntsville it's on a Major road vs and off of a random highway in other cities. What matters is how much it will benefit the city. It won't be as visible as it is now when MidCity is completed.
I'm kind of unconvinced that a high-tech golf driving range/bar is going to be that big a benefit to the city. Especially since the CoH just closed the Muni, Sunset Landing (owned by Airport) came close to shutting down for good in 2016, and Huntsville Country Club has been struggling for years. Golf is not prospering, and Huntsville is no exception.

Or maybe TG is all about millenials, hipsters, and Gen X that want to hang out, drink beer, chow down, and maybe hit a golf ball or two.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I'm kind of unconvinced that a high-tech golf driving range/bar is going to be that big a benefit to the city. Especially since the CoH just closed the Muni, Sunset Landing (owned by Airport) came close to shutting down for good in 2016, and Huntsville Country Club has been struggling for years. Golf is not prospering, and Huntsville is no exception.

Or maybe TG is all about millenials, hipsters, and Gen X that want to hang out, drink beer, chow down, and maybe hit a golf ball or two.
This...real golfers don't go there for any serious practice. It is 100% a social event, similar to bowling, laser tag, etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...Or maybe TG is all about millenials, hipsters, and Gen X that want to hang out, drink beer, chow down, and maybe hit a golf ball or two.
If you look at which establishments are the most popular, it's obvious who is spending the money and to whom new projects are targeted.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure opinion will change once you go to one. This is nothing like a country club golf course or driving range.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 9,205 times
Seems like Mid City has come to a stand still, I haven't noticed any progress in a long time. Did they bail like Kroger did on County Line Road?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 PM

169 posts, read 206,195 times
The folks who were going to build a climbing center haven't updated their Facebook page since August 2017. Last message: "We can't wait to be a part of Huntsville and the rad new Mid City development!"

I guess they can...

Old 02-21-2018, 04:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
The folks who were going to build a climbing center haven't updated their Facebook page since August 2017. Last message: "We can't wait to be a part of Huntsville and the rad new Mid City development!"

I guess they can...
Like everything else in this area, other than nail salons and mattress stores, I'll believe it when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area