Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 07:55 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,292,349 times

Advertisements

A friend who lives in the area told me this week that property values are beginning to be affected due to the recent negative publicity surrounding Grissom High School. I must say I was surprised by this and wanted to hear from others who might be affected by this. Is this true? Are property values going down or going up? Is it to soon to see a swing either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
I would doubt that it would have that quick of an impact. I would presume the fact that they've put public housing in down there now will affect property value more than the incidents at Grissom.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:03 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
We just sold a house in less than two days in South HSV, Grissom district in the upper $200k range. Full price. In one day that house had so many showings that the owner had to start telling agents they would have to come the next day to see it.

I don't see that incident at Grissom having a dramatic effect on South HSV property values. When the kid was shot and killed in the hallway at Discovery in Madison, we did not see much effect in the market at all after that horrible incident. That was much more serious than a school fight.

What happened at Grissom is grabbing attention because it was videotaped and released....and they now know that was preplanned. There is also a lot of politics in play and it is giving some a platform to cry out in opposition of Casey Wardynski. This same stuff happens at Bob Jones, James Clemens, Sparkman, etc. Its not exclusive to either Grissom or HSV High. When my son was at JCHS there were multiple fights that broke out in the halls, lunchroom, etc. that was just as bad. You just don't hear much about it from the Madison schools.

I have one friend in Grissom who seems to have made it her personal goal to bring Wardynski down over social media...and it all started with the closing of Butler. I have some friends who realize while there are things the superintendent can do, this does not fall at his feet alone and discipline of kids starts at HOME. Bottom line, there is an element in both schools who do NOT like the fact that Butler was closed and those kids "redistributed" and they are probably going to use ANYTHING to continue to voice their displeasure towards the school system and the superintendent.

Part of it is the nature of kids these days and how they are being raised. One other aspect is the role of social media in society. Fights like this in schools have been happening for a long time, even when I was in school...it just wasn't put out everyone for all to see.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 02-28-2016 at 05:11 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,292,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
We just sold a house in less than two days in South HSV, Grissom district in the upper $200k range. Full price. In one day that house had so many showings that the owner had to start telling agents they would have to come the next day to see it.

I don't see that incident at Grissom having a dramatic effect on South HSV property values. When the kid was shot and killed in the hallway at Discovery in Madison, we did not see much effect in the market at all after that horrible incident. That was much more serious than a school fight.

What happened at Grissom is grabbing attention because it was videotaped and released....and they now know that was preplanned. There is also a lot of politics in play and it is giving some a platform to cry out in opposition of Casey Wardynski. This same stuff happens at Bob Jones, James Clemens, Sparkman, etc. Its not exclusive to either Grissom or HSV High. When my son was at JCHS there were multiple fights that broke out in the halls, lunchroom, etc. that was just as bad. You just don't hear much about it from the Madison schools.

I have one friend in Grissom who seems to have made it her personal goal to bring Wardynski down over social media...and it all started with the closing of Butler. I have some friends who realize while there are things the superintendent can do, this does not fall at his feet alone and discipline of kids starts at HOME. Bottom line, there is an element in both schools who do NOT like the fact that Butler was closed and those kids "redistributed" and they are probably going to use ANYTHING to continue to voice their displeasure towards the school system and the superintendent.

Part of it is the nature of kids these days and how they are being raised. One other aspect is the role of social media in society. Fights like this in schools have been happening for a long time, even when I was in school...it just wasn't put out everyone for all to see.

Thanks for this reply. I was really hoping for some input from real estate professionals. The person who gave me the initial statement no longer has children in the school system and does not seem to have any opinion on Dr. Wardynski either way. He was rather concerned about his property values. My own thinking was it was too early to drop blame on the current social media events. I do know that several families I am acquainted with in that area are preparing their homes for market with the intent of moving out of this particular school zone.

I think it is too early for such rash actions, as we all know when change happens there are always wrinkles that must be ironed out. But my child is not heading to Grissom High School next year, if so I might be putting my house up for sale also.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Thanks for this reply. I was really hoping for some input from real estate professionals. The person who gave me the initial statement no longer has children in the school system and does not seem to have any opinion on Dr. Wardynski either way. He was rather concerned about his property values. My own thinking was it was too early to drop blame on the current social media events. I do know that several families I am acquainted with in that area are preparing their homes for market with the intent of moving out of this particular school zone.

I think it is too early for such rash actions, as we all know when change happens there are always wrinkles that must be ironed out. But my child is not heading to Grissom High School next year, if so I might be putting my house up for sale also.

I'm going to be honest, the public schools are a mess. ALL of them. PC is run amuck. You have to pick and choose your poison. Parents do not teach their children to respect their teachers. While Madison has really great schools, we made the decision to go private 3 years ago. Its cost us a lot of money, but some things you just can't put a monetary value on. There was just too much crap going on that concerned us...and its going to happen regardless of how wonderful the school is. Sadly, its the society we live in. I have friends in Mountain Brook, and its happening there...and they also have a very touted school system, top in the state and a very affluent community. Same things from my friends who are teachers and have kids in public schools all across the country. Our education system nationally is in terrible condition.

I was talking to one of my Realtor friends whose kids go to HC schools. He commented about how his son's teacher "still allows them to say the Pledge". What. The. Crap. This is AMERICA. Are you telling me that we have gotten to the point that kids can't even say the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE? I'm sorry...but if that offends someone, I am inclined to say they either need to get their kids in a private school that more "fits" their "beliefs" or go back to where they came.

I never thought I would see the day in this country that our children saying the Pledge of Allegiance would be seen as controversial. Or that our flag would be seen as "offensive". I've lived in a foreign country, and while there we respected their laws and traditions. I'm so tired of that stuff. Sorry for the mini rant

I'll add this...I come from a family with a strong background in education. I was expected to teach...and I feel I do have that "heart of a teacher", just not in the way others in my family had. I never wanted to "teach school". I love teaching others in my industry. My mother dedicated 38 years of her life teaching kids. My stepmother taught school for years (she was my 8th grade teacher!), was an administrator and eventually served as a professor at a state college with one of the best education programs in the south. She said for years she saw changes and decreased interest in the profession...teachers entering the systems and just leaving after a few years, just tired of what they now have to deal with and discouraged overall. We are losing a lot of our good teachers and just having difficulty replacing them. They are underpaid and severely under appreciated, and to the ones that have stayed the course I truly applaud them, it surely takes a very special person to teach in the public schools these days. There are some wonderful teachers in our systems now, but not like it used to be. Its been happening...and its just getting worse. Its very sad to me to see.

Just one more reason we went the private school route.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 02-28-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM

34 posts, read 87,648 times
Speaking as someone that has a house for sale in the Grissom area in a very desirable area I can tell you that yes the house values are going down. The houses are not appraising like they use to according to my real estate agent and people having HGTV expectations aren't helping the sellers either. People in my neighborhood have been doing fairly major renovations to their homes expecting to at least get back what they put in. From my experience I will be lucky to get anywhere close to what I put in.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
Here, here!! I'd rep you but it tells me I have to spread it around some. My kids fortunately are grown and out of school. There is absolutely no way I would have my children in public schools these days anyway for a multitude of reasons. And I will stop there because I could go on a 10 page rant but I want my blood pressure to remain stable.

Quote:
I'm going to be honest, the public schools are a mess. ALL of them. PC is run amuck. You have to pick and choose your poison. Parents do not teach their children to respect their teachers. While Madison has really great schools, we made the decision to go private 3 years ago. Its cost us a lot of money, but some things you just can't put a monetary value on. There was just too much crap going on that concerned us...and its going to happen regardless of how wonderful the school is. Sadly, its the society we live in. I have friends in Mountain Brook, and its happening there...and they also have a very touted school system, top in the state and a very affluent community. Same things from my friends who are teachers and have kids in public schools all across the country. Our education system nationally is in terrible condition.

I was talking to one of my Realtor friends whose kids go to HC schools. He commented about how his son's teacher "still allows them to say the Pledge". What. The. Crap. This is AMERICA. Are you telling me that we have gotten to the point that kids can't even say the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE? I'm sorry...but if that offends someone, I am inclined to say they either need to get their kids in a private school that more "fits" their "beliefs" or go back to where they came.

I never thought I would see the day in this country that our children saying the Pledge of Allegiance would be seen as controversial. Or that our flag would be seen as "offensive". I've lived in a foreign country, and while there we respected their laws and traditions. I'm so tired of that stuff. Sorry for the mini rant

I'll add this...I come from a family with a strong background in education. I was expected to teach...and I feel I do have that "heart of a teacher", just not in the way others in my family had. I never wanted to "teach school". I love teaching others in my industry. My mother dedicated 38 years of her life teaching kids. My stepmother taught school for years (she was my 8th grade teacher!), was an administrator and eventually served as a professor at a state college with one of the best education programs in the south. She said for years she saw changes and decreased interest in the profession...teachers entering the systems and just leaving after a few years, just tired of what they now have to deal with and discouraged overall. We are losing a lot of our good teachers and just having difficulty replacing them. They are underpaid and severely under appreciated, and to the ones that have stayed the course I truly applaud them, it surely takes a very special person to teach in the public schools these days. There are some wonderful teachers in our systems now, but not like it used to be. Its been happening...and its just getting worse. Its very sad to me to see.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:53 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,672 times
Quote:

Yup. I personally know of 2 really fantastic AP teachers who used to teach in the HC school system who made the switch to private schools. Because they "weren't being allowed to teach" in the HC school system.

I went to Grissom years back, and as much as I loved my alma mater, it's not the same (well except for the crazy awesome band program which is still crazy awesome). My children are also going private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area