Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguy23 View Post
Yeah, Applewood would be a little too pricey for me, Heritage should be just right budget-wise.

Are those schools (Providence, Williams and Columbia) really that bad as per online rating?

It's just amazing how a similar home would cost 70k more just because of the school system being different.
Legacy Homes also has Iredell off of Nance Road in the Madison area (again Madison, 35757 address but is annexed into Huntsville city limits and zoned for Providence, Williams, and Columbia schools). Legacy has homes in Iredell starting at just $69.00 a square foot. Iredell - Legacy HomesLegacy Homes

The best people to ask about the schools IMO would be those that have kids that go there but if you're new to the area that's hard to do.

Applewood does have a nice pool and cabana and the other Legacy Homes communities mentioned here do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM

44 posts, read 52,669 times
I don't think Columbia is a bad choice. Great extracurricular activities (JROTC, Band, etc.) and sports, and unless I stand corrected I think a lot of Redstone employees living on base send their children there. Academics may not be as good as Huntsville or Grissom, but opportunities are good and it seems to be handling all the system's "discipline issues" well (at least per what my friends say).
For the middle and elementary schools, I can't offer a great perspective. All I know is that Williams had a great campus when I went there for middle school basketball games years ago it was about the size of a smaller high school campus.
And I agree with what another poster said - Providence is growing and improving. Buying a house there wouldn't be a bad investment.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
Legacy Homes also has the Applewood subdivision at the corner of Balch Road and Gillespie Road that is IN Madison city limits so it's zoned for Madison city schools including the new James Clemons high school. Legacy Homes Applewood New HomesLegacy Homes

I was gonna say the same thing. The neighborhood isn't as aesthetically pleasing as Heritage Brook, but you're in Madison city limits and VERY convenient location. And yes, as crazy as it seems, the same home can cost a lot more in Madison city limits.

I'm trying to think of other new home options in Madison city limits that would still be in your budget (other than Horton). If Jeff Benton builds any more homes in Kingsley @ Crown Pointe, those would be within your budget (I think) but right now he's focusing on the Crest and larger homes @ Crown Pointe.

Off Burgreen Rd, there are several new developments. You could get into a Stoneridge home (who has a stellar reputation and is local) in Burgreen Place for right around $300k or less, depending on the plan. (Very small lots, but that's the trade-off.) Plus, they have a brand new development off Hardiman Rd called StoneBrook that will have a wide variety of home sizes. There's also the new Mungo development - Burgreen Farms, plus DSLD Homes is in 2 different neighborhoods (Bakers Farm & Hilltop Ridge).....they are a new builder to the area, don't know much about them.

I know you didn't ask about Madison city, but thought I'd throw those options out there. It just depends on your preference. If schools are very important for your future kids, I'd say splurge & pay the extra for Madison city. But maybe a larger size lot & look/feel of neighborhood are more important to you, so Heritage Brook or someplace else might be a better fit. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguy23 View Post
Yeah, Applewood would be a little too pricey for me, Heritage should be just right budget-wise.
Are those schools (Providence, Williams and Columbia) really that bad as per online rating?
It's just amazing how a similar home would cost 70k more just because of the school system being different.

I am very sorry to tell you but I know at least 5 families who either started their kids in Providence or who are slated to start their kids in Providence within a year or two. One put their house on the market halfway through the kindergarten year, it was so bad, and they have already bought a house in Madison City and have moved. Another pulled their kid out and went private. The other 3 have their houses on the market right now.

If you are planning on using the public school, I would strongly recommend against moving into an area zoned Providence/Williams/Columbia. Most well-behaved kids with involved parents are doing whatever they can to leave (including selling their house for $70K less, as you have noticed).

Now if you don't have kids or are going private, the homes are really nice!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I am very sorry to tell you but I know at least 5 families who either started their kids in Providence or who are slated to start their kids in Providence within a year or two. One put their house on the market halfway through the kindergarten year, it was so bad, and they have already bought a house in Madison City and have moved. Another pulled their kid out and went private. The other 3 have their houses on the market right now.

If you are planning on using the public school, I would strongly recommend against moving into an area zoned Providence/Williams/Columbia. Most well-behaved kids with involved parents are doing whatever they can to leave (including selling their house for $70K less, as you have noticed).

I know a family who did the same....sold their house in Providence zone and built a new one in Madison city before their child started school. And I know another family who is contemplating doing the same. They both bought houses North of 72 a few years b/c they got so much more house for the money. That was before they had kids. Now the reality of sending their kids to those schools has set in.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:

My daughter goes to Providence. We had reservations at first, but have been happy so far.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
My daughter goes to Providence. We had reservations at first, but have been happy so far.

I hope it continues! Sincerely.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
I hope it continues! Sincerely.
Me, too!

Old 04-15-2016, 02:30 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
I just closed a house zoned Providence this morning where the family WANTED to stay specifically in Providence schools...just moved to a larger home.

They seemed to have well behaved kids and also seemed to be highly educated, involved parents. The seller also did not lose $70k....in fact, they sold for about $30k HIGHER than what they had expected to get, and the house sold within 3 days of listing it.

People that bought during the Providence craze when it first opened...I can see them taking a hit. The market now in that area is pretty hot in some price ranges. Its really doing much, much better than 3+ years ago.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 04-15-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 05:28 AM

12 posts, read 33,445 times
Your inputs are very much appreciated.
Are DR Horton products really not that good? How do they stack up against other affordable homes like Adams?
Also what's your opinion on Davidson, DSLD and Mark Harris homes?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area