Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 04:22 PM

294 posts, read 235,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
As a co-op student in the 1960s, I lived in the University Apartments on the north side of University drive across from UAH. The neighborhood wasn't sketchy at all then, and the apartments were nice. I think they were later bought by UAH for student housing.
Yep, I lived in them in 75-78. But they had gotten pretty nasty. But, hey, students. Cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 06:41 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Hockey has been hot in Huntsville for many decades, even more so now.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - With still five games left in the regular season, the Huntsville Havoc has set a new SPHL record for most single season fans in attendance.

The Havoc has shatters their own record for the sixth time, with a total of 154, 477 fans.

After Friday nights 4-0 home win over the Knoxville Ice Bears. Huntsville will host two more games at the Von Braun Center before playoffs begin.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Hockey has been hot in Huntsville for many decades, even more so now.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - With still five games left in the regular season, the Huntsville Havoc has set a new SPHL record for most single season fans in attendance.

The Havoc has shatters their own record for the sixth time, with a total of 154, 477 fans.

After Friday nights 4-0 home win over the Knoxville Ice Bears. Huntsville will host two more games at the Von Braun Center before playoffs begin.
Went to a show at the VBC a couple of weeks ago for a Broadway Theater play, and as we were heading into the parking garage across Monroe, Havoc fans were flocking out of the garage. Most were dressed in Havoc gear, much like you would see in a major league hockey city. I had no idea it was so popular, but we used to go to UAH hockey games and it was somewhat the same way. I understand Havoc tickets are hard to get and sell at a premium price (even though price gouging is supposed to be illegal).

Old 03-26-2024, 07:31 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
I understand Havoc tickets are hard to get and sell at a premium price (even though price gouging is supposed to be illegal).
I don't think hockey tickets fall under price gouging laws.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:08 AM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I don't think hockey tickets fall under price gouging laws.
Depends on where you live. It must not be illegal in Alabama because TicketMaster and StubHub do their share of price-gouging of tickets. Even an event at the VBC is considerably cheaper if you go to the box office instead of using TicketMaster. If a big event came to town - say, Taylor Swift - I'm sure TicketMaster would scarf up all the tickets sell them far, far above face value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticket...cket%20brokers.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:19 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
Depends on where you live. It must not be illegal in Alabama because TicketMaster and StubHub do their share of price-gouging of tickets. Even an event at the VBC is considerably cheaper if you go to the box office instead of using TicketMaster. If a big event came to town - say, Taylor Swift - I'm sure TicketMaster would scarf up all the tickets sell them far, far above face value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticket...cket%20brokers.
Yep, ticketmaster is a complete rip off. They are basically a legalized ticket scalper. They use all sorts of deceitful practices such as dynamic pricing and my personal favorite is only showing limited seats available when you look to purchase. The entire section could be available but their system will show you scattered seats making it appear that most are already sold.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:48 PM

44 posts, read 32,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Yep, I lived in them in 75-78. But they had gotten pretty nasty. But, hey, students. Cheap.

As a student at UAH, I am 99.9% sure that those apartments no longer have any affiliation with the university. Other than that bridge over university that people never use.

If you go to the UAH housing website it makes no mention of those apartments.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:24 AM

294 posts, read 235,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoEGS View Post
As a student at UAH, I am 99.9% sure that those apartments no longer have any affiliation with the university. Other than that bridge over university that people never use.

If you go to the UAH housing website it makes no mention of those apartments.
You are correct, they are no longer used by UAH. Not since they built dorms. They didn't have the dorms back in my time there. They also had about half the buildings.

The bridge was actually for the elementary school located there.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:25 PM

110 posts, read 95,262 times
TODAY ==> Huntsville Utilities Electric Operations crews are CLOSING Blake Bottom Road between Farmstead Road NE and Indian Creek Road NW to complete tree trimming. The closure is expected to last until 4:30pm.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:40 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times
Popeye’s on South Parkway is officially open for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area