Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2024, 02:22 PM

3,024 posts, read 3,638,119 times

Advertisements

New state of the art City Hall opened downtown yesterday.

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/huntsvi...ear-city-hall/

It replaces the former 60 year old city hall, which will be demolished and that space converted to additional Big Spring park space.

The new city hall features 9 (plus one installed this fall) permanent custom large art pieces through out the building.
Most can be viewed here along with others around the city.
Downtown Huntsville.
AquaLapis.
Cityscape Block by Block.
Lay of the Land. (one of my favorites).
Miracle Territory.
Reflecting the Braille Sky.
The Spark.
Transformative Soil: Terra Firma.
Watermarks.

https://publicartarchive.org/collect...Art-Collection

https://hvilleblast.com/new-huntsvil...-for-business/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2024, 09:57 AM

Cajun Roux coming to Providence, open early 2025. They currently have a location in Hoover.

https://cajunroux.net/

Old 05-25-2024, 12:34 PM

12 posts, read 12,088 times
https://www.al.com/news/2022/08/deve...outputType=amp

Is this 22-story tower proposed back in August 2022 still an active topic or did this proposal die out? I’m thinking the latter since there has not been really any updates on it.

Old 05-26-2024, 11:51 AM

13,195 posts, read 9,764,485 times
Congressman Dale Strong is attempting to re-open the US mail distribution center in Huntsville. It was closed about 15 years ago in an attempt by the Postal Service to save money. Since the closure, even if you mail a letter to your next door neighbor, it leaves Huntsville, goes to Birmingham for processing, and then at some point returns to Huntsville. Apparently there have been many instances of mail taking extended time to be delivered, or in some cases, never delivered.

Will his efforts work? Only time will tell, but it sounds similar to the National Weather Service closing the local office for several years, then reestablishing a forecast center here after much political pressure.

https://www.waff.com/video/2024/05/2...rn-huntsville/

Old 05-26-2024, 11:57 AM

491 posts, read 424,727 times
Anyone know the timeline for the upcoming Wall Triana widening project in Madison?

https://www.madisoncountyal.gov/depa...ghway-widening

Old 05-26-2024, 11:59 AM

13,195 posts, read 9,764,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongoros View Post
https://www.al.com/news/2022/08/deve...outputType=amp

Is this 22-story tower proposed back in August 2022 still an active topic or did this proposal die out? I’m thinking the latter since there has not been really any updates on it.
I'm guessing it was just a pipe dream of the developer (which he indicated was a long term wish). It seemed to be dependent on the "sky bridge" becoming a reality, which seems to be a real thing with construction happening sometime this year, so you never know. Presumably the pedestrian walkway would indeed stimulate development.

There have been several instances of high-rise building proposals, none of which have come to pass. Downtown Huntsville is pretty modest compared to other cities of comparable population, with most of the primary employment being on Redstone Arsenal and adjacent supporting facilities.

Old 05-26-2024, 03:12 PM

113 posts, read 99,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Congressman Dale Strong is attempting to re-open the US mail distribution center in Huntsville. It was closed about 15 years ago in an attempt by the Postal Service to save money. Since the closure, even if you mail a letter to your next door neighbor, it leaves Huntsville, goes to Birmingham for processing, and then at some point returns to Huntsville. Apparently there have been many instances of mail taking extended time to be delivered, or in some cases, never delivered.

Will his efforts work? Only time will tell, but it sounds similar to the National Weather Service closing the local office for several years, then reestablishing a forecast center here after much political pressure.

I personally hope this happens (re-open the distro for Huntsville). The equipment should still be there. My Mama worked for a small post office in Tennessee and she ran the cancelling machine herself for items dropped off there from the mid 60s to the late 70s.
I had a set of coupons sent to me by a manufacturer as a customer service issue (stale items on something bought new). From the postmark date to when I received them was over 6 weeks. Wonder what trip they went on while they were out in the world?
I do not leave ANY mail to be picked up at my house, as our mail could be delivered at 12:30 or as late as 8pm. If it's picked up in my mail box after 2, it's definitely not gonna leave the local post office before the next day (last pickup at my local PO is 2:30)

Old 05-26-2024, 04:55 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,609,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

That explains why I see things like this:
Quote:
Accepted at USPS Regional Destination Facility
HUNTSVILLE AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 22, 2024, 1:41 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
BIRMINGHAM AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX
May 22, 2024, 2:56 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
HUNTSVILLE AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 22, 2024, 3:53 pm

Old 05-26-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
That explains why I see things like this:
Should have never been closed.
Didn’t Huntsville and lawmakers fight hard to get the distribution center located here in the first place?
Then it’s closed , thinking Birmingham could handle it which they can’t.
Imagine the fuel costs alone in giving your letters a joy ride up and down I-65.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:08 AM

23,691 posts, read 70,851,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Should have never been closed.
Didn’t Huntsville and lawmakers fight hard to get the distribution center located here in the first place?
Then it’s closed , thinking Birmingham could handle it which they can’t.
Imagine the fuel costs alone in giving your letters a joy ride up and down I-65.
I think it might have been closed more like 17 years ago? I remember all my Netflix DVDs went through B'ham.

Consolidation of the sorting hubs has a logic to it, at an expense of added travel time. The equipment is increasingly complex and capable - and expensive.

The goals of the postal service today are a lot different than back in the 1950s. Faxes, and then FedEx and then the internet have drained most of the time-critical mail. If you consider how much mail people get compared to a few years ago, the difference is amazing. I've had whole weeks go by when I didn't need to check my mailbox. Ten years ago, it would have overflowed with first class, junk mail and magazines. Multiply my experience by tens of thousands and you can understand that even with increasing populations, mail flow can actually be less.

What I do see is the USPS becoming more and more small package delivery for online sales. That requires different equipment than letters and mail in envelopes. I doubt any equipment remaining in Huntsville meets the requirements.

About the only really good reason I can think of to re-open Huntsville is redundancy in case of a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area