Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM

286 posts, read 1,085,992 times

Advertisements

hehe, clamoore, I knew that's where you were moving to. I actually lived about 5 streets away from where you are going to be. I was also considering buying one of those duplexes in addition to the home I was in, but glad I didn't since we ended up moving out of state.

And Simpleman, I think the Johnson and Butler(35805) areas have gotten worse. Maybe revitalization will change it. It's definitely going to take outsiders like clamoore to come in without any prejudice and buy houses in these areas. And I am hella proud to be a Butler Rebel!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM

168 posts, read 559,796 times
So, financelife, did you live in the Holiday Homes area?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
The neighborhood is rapidly filling with motivated people. We have met five couples that have purchased properties since we purchased our house. Two couples were from out-of-state and fell in love with the neighborhood. I look forward to being a part of a great community!
What a positive, cheerful, upbeat post. This is good news to read.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 12,370 times
Quote:
OTB, I am one week away from becoming a neighbor. I have sold my home in the Five Points Historic District and I have purchased a home in the Merrimack Mill Village. I look forward to being a part of a great community!

I look forward to your being part of the neighborhood and am excited about all of the growth.

Your gonna love it!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Holiday Homes

Quote:
So, financelife, did you live in the Holiday Homes area?

Yes, near the Hillsboro Baptist Church. I loved seeing some of those duplexes remodeled into single family homes. I really considered purchasing one, and thought about how I would totally change the layout. However, moved not too long after so it wasn't in the cards.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I am so happy to see folks considering revitalizing an area. After living in FL and seeing what uncontrolled sprawl can do to an area, it is refreshing.. and I hope more ppl will consider it. In FL they have paved over or built even on wet lands.

Personally, I love older homes and if you can upgrade/update them, you won't have to drive an hour or more to get to work, you will save yourself a lot of money.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:06 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
It is not dangerous as long as you ALWAYS keep aware of your surroundings. Like when those obvious crack heads knocked on the door, I didn't pretend to be gone, I immediately opened the door and said "NOT INTERESTED, bye!." and Close the door hard in their faces. You have to be offensive. But also, that wasn't everyday, and most days were peaceful. Of course, even 35805 has "good" and "bad" areas within itself. Good= harmless crackheads and prostitutes, and Bad= shootings, stabbings.

Friends I grew up with all joke now that when times get rough, move back to 35805. LOL.
Well, that's admirable that you have done so well for yourself after growing up so disadvantaged in such a bad neighborhood. It must have been your block alone though as I grew on Biscayne Street in HH in 35805 from 1976 to 1996 and my experience was so much different. I even attended those bad schools like Stone and Butler too. I lived here until I got married in 1996, moved away (military), and then moved back in 2006 to the same neighborhood when my wife and I got out of the Army. My experience growing up in this neighborhood was that Holiday Homes was a nice area with good families and lots of kids. There certainly are not many kids in the neighborhood anymore. I always thought HH was the nicest area in SW Huntsville growing up. I've been here a total of 22 years off and on now.

Not once has a crackhead banged on my door. Not once have I been robbed. Not once has my car been broken into. Not once have I seen prostitutes and/or pimps walking my street. Not once have I heard random gun shots in the middle of the night.

So, be realistic. You did not grow up all hard in Holiday Homes. My friends and I used to joke about how we lived in the ghetto too, especially when around our Sherwood Park friends. But come on! What a joke. I've lived all over the country in the 12 years I was away from Huntsville and I've seen "ghetto" in Baltimore, Savannah, Atlanta, Denver, and Los Angeles. Huntsville has NO bad areas that can compare t any of those cities I've lived in. I couldn't sit idly by and read all these exaggerations about the "35805." After all, I got property values to consider.

The truth is Holiday Homes (and much of SW Hsv) is blue collar. It's not sexy in the least. Is it dangerous? I say no. If financelife's friends were busy trying to figure out how to rob "rich" parts of town then I feel pretty safe in my little unassuming house in Holiday Homes. If your block in Holiday Homes near Hillsboro Baptist (where I went to church growing up) was as dangerous as you say, I'll be sure to stay away though.

And yes, Merrimack is definitely on the up and up and I couldn't be happier. The duplex my grandmother lived in on North Broad has been recently renovated into a beautiful, huge classic home. Everytime I pass through there I see tons of work going on.

As for the apartments that many of us who are from this area loathe... I must say those apartments next to the old Winn Dixie got a face lift and look MUCH better. It appears the management are serious about turning that place around. Rumor has it a new grocery store is about to take over that shopping center too. And yes, we got the best burger in town over here at Soul Burger. And the best neighborhood pub, The Nook.

Anyway, I only check in once in awhile and sorry to revive a dead thread. But I read things I couldn't let go. Ooohhh....I think I hear a scary crackhead outside. Better go lock the doors...

Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,296 times
Default Areas in Huntsville

I must tell you that I am a native of Huntsville. I do know the area well. If you plan on working for Redstone you may want to consider SE/SW Huntsville. You will be close to an Arsenal gate and the school systems are better that way. 5 points area is a beloved area of mine. The houses are gorgeous and quaint. You will not find another area where all of the homes have beautiful character except for downtown. Mtn. Gap, Weatherly, Challenger/Grissom are the best schools. I live in NE Huntsville, which is a beautiful area and is centrally located. It has been convenient to all sides of town considering the interstate is down the street. I have 2 children and have recently sold my house to move to South Huntsville because and only because of the school system. If you purchase a home on the Clinton side in 5 points that is zoned Huntsville High which is a good school. The cost of homes was too expensive for me, that is why I chose south Huntsville. The home I found was affordable in South Huntsville. I have never had any problems with crime. As a matter of fact, our neighborhood is so quiet that we often leave with the doors unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavadicane View Post
HI to everyone

iti si my first time in this forum and I have noted that thre were very much reactions to my simply questions.
BAd area for me is an area in which you cannot leave easily with your family without robberyy, drugs and so on.
I want to stress that i'm from Rome but since ROme is tha most beautiful city inthe world (many people say this) even in RMe there are much much place in which is better not to go especially during the night.
SO I would like to know what area in your opinion is the best for a family that has to stay in HSV only 3 years.

By Ezio

Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Well, that's admirable that you have done so well for yourself after growing up so disadvantaged in such a bad neighborhood. It must have been your block alone though as I grew on Biscayne Street in HH in 35805 from 1976 to 1996 and my experience was so much different. I even attended those bad schools like Stone and Butler too. I lived here until I got married in 1996, moved away (military), and then moved back in 2006 to the same neighborhood when my wife and I got out of the Army. My experience growing up in this neighborhood was that Holiday Homes was a nice area with good families and lots of kids. There certainly are not many kids in the neighborhood anymore. I always thought HH was the nicest area in SW Huntsville growing up. I've been here a total of 22 years off and on now.

Not once has a crackhead banged on my door. Not once have I been robbed. Not once has my car been broken into. Not once have I seen prostitutes and/or pimps walking my street. Not once have I heard random gun shots in the middle of the night.

So, be realistic. You did not grow up all hard in Holiday Homes. My friends and I used to joke about how we lived in the ghetto too, especially when around our Sherwood Park friends. But come on! What a joke. I've lived all over the country in the 12 years I was away from Huntsville and I've seen "ghetto" in Baltimore, Savannah, Atlanta, Denver, and Los Angeles. Huntsville has NO bad areas that can compare t any of those cities I've lived in. I couldn't sit idly by and read all these exaggerations about the "35805." After all, I got property values to consider.

The truth is Holiday Homes (and much of SW Hsv) is blue collar. It's not sexy in the least. Is it dangerous? I say no. If your block in Holiday Homes near Hillsboro Baptist (where I went to church growing up) was as dangerous as you say, I'll be sure to stay away though.

And yes, Merrimack is definitely on the up and up and I couldn't be happier. The duplex my grandmother lived in on North Broad has been recently renovated into a beautiful, huge classic home. Everytime I pass through there I see tons of work going on.

As for the apartments that many of us who are from this area loathe... I must say those apartments next to the old Winn Dixie got a face lift and look MUCH better. It appears the management are serious about turning that place around. Rumor has it a new grocery store is about to take over that shopping center too. And yes, we got the best burger in town over here at Soul Burger. And the best neighborhood pub, The Nook.

Anyway, I only check in once in awhile and sorry to revive a dead thread. But I read things I couldn't let go. Ooohhh....I think I hear a scary crackhead outside. Better go lock the doors...
1976-1996? wow. Of course, everything was lollipops and gumdrops back then anyway. LOL. And you are the one not being realistic to people who are deciding which areas to live in. Stone and Butler are nothing like they were back in 1971. Parents who care about their children and can afford it, will not voluntarily choose this school district. And thanks for the admiration as I have done very well considering growing up in Sec 8 and food stamps. Many people who grow up this way never pull themselves up.

And, duh, of course it's not like southside Chicago (so obvious). Who made that comparison? not me. But I don't have to prove that random crackheads did knock on doors sometimes, or that prostitutes hung out in the various areas. Maybe you are so used to it, you just think "there goes that pretty lady with the long fur coat waiting for her ride."

Also, I didn't live near Hillsboro Baptist growing up. Wife and I bought a cheap $50K house there in 2004 because I was used to the neighborhood. I grew up around Stone Middle, Butler Terrace, Mason Ct and other parts of Triana Blvd.

Anybody else wanna give their version of the "good ol' days..."?

Last edited by financelife; 07-16-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillygrace View Post
I must tell you that I am a native of Huntsville. I do know the area well. ...... Mtn. Gap, Weatherly, Challenger/Grissom are the best schools. I live in NE Huntsville, which is a beautiful area and is centrally located. It has been convenient to all sides of town considering the interstate is down the street. I have 2 children and have recently sold my house to move to South Huntsville because and only because of the school system. If you purchase a home on the Clinton side in 5 points that is zoned Huntsville High which is a good school. The cost of homes was too expensive for me, that is why I chose south Huntsville. The home I found was affordable in South Huntsville. I have never had any problems with crime. As a matter of fact, our neighborhood is so quiet that we often leave with the doors unlocked.
Notice how this poster did not mention Stone Middle or Butler High district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area