Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM

523 posts, read 1,005,264 times

Advertisements

Looking to have my roof replaced soon. Anyone have recommendations on a good roofing company that does metal roofing? Is it extremely expensive? What type of metal roofing is best? Standing seam? Metal tiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM

614 posts, read 768,220 times
First, wait for a hail storm that will happen in a tornado this season. Then call your insurance and ask them who they have had good luck dealing with.

also, call Discount Metal Roofing in Park City and ask who is a good installer. Most roofers buy their metal in Park City.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,283,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
First, wait for a hail storm that will happen in a tornado this season. Then call your insurance and ask them who they have had good luck dealing with.
HA! Exactly, I don't know anyone who has paid outright for a roof in the TN valley.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM

360 posts, read 1,534,167 times
Post I looked into a metal roof, but decided against

The quote I got for a standing seam metal roof was about 30% higher than for architectural shingles. Plus, I didn't like how the roofs looked on the homes I drove by. Glad I went with the architectural shingles; I think they are much more attractive for most homes.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:04 AM

180 posts, read 806,422 times
Cox's Construction (Max Cox). He is located in Athens but will do work in Madison and Morgan county. Not only was he the cheapest bid, but was highly recommended. He was in high demand and it took him 4 months of back logged work to come out and do my standing seam metal roof. Most of his workers are his sons and his family members. He can be reached at 256-431-8422 or 256-247-3962.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM

523 posts, read 1,005,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I wish I could afford to wait but there are some issues that need to be addressed now.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 AM

614 posts, read 768,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
I wish I could afford to wait but there are some issues that need to be addressed now.
I would still call your insurance first. Having a contractor they have worked with sure helps things along. They might also be able to inspect for past damage and give you a discount. Every bit helps.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,281 times
Metal Roofing is a time proven roofing product. For centuries,metal roofing has been used to protect some of the world's finest buildings and cathedrals. Today, with modern manufacturing and metallurgical advancements, metal roofing products have a whole new look. From tradition seam and batten products to tiles, shingles or shakes, metal roofing products are available in a wide variety of styles, materials and colors.I suggested that choose best Professional Roofing services for metal roofing .

Old 01-04-2019, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 14,808 times
Default getting a metal roof 'bought'

I'm sure by now the OP has replaced his roof, but I wanted to echo and add to a few of the comments about filing an insurance claim here. There are a lot of local contractors that will do a free roof assessment to look for signs of storm damage around Alabama.

They are usually hoping to find damage and then they will probably do all the paperwork required to get your homeowners to pay for a new roof. You'll typically only be paying your deductible as an out-of-pocket expense in cases like this.

First the roofer files a claim. Then it has to be signed off on by both your homeowners and then the mortgage company if you are still paying on your home. Once they both sign off on it, they send you a check that goes to your roofing contractor after the job's done.

That's how the whole process typically works, and I think it makes a lot of sense in cases like this to just get the free inspection instead of worrying about all the 'what if's' like damaged rafters and mold. Your home value will go up a lot because signing off on that check notifies your mortgage company that the home has a new roof. Not a bad deal if you're planning to sell soon

Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM

13,029 posts, read 9,562,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
HA! Exactly, I don't know anyone who has paid outright for a roof in the TN valley.
I think most insurance companies prorate roof damage nowadays. Used to, they'd cover the entire thing after your deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area