Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM

26 posts, read 88,301 times

Advertisements

My wife and I spent Friday - Monday in Huntsville on a scouting trip prior to deciding if our relocation to Huntsville is something we really want to commit to. We had a wonderful time even if we ran ourselves ragged over the 4 days. We picked up a House & Lands magazine outside of some store and in the center it had a map of Huntsville/Madison and all the new sub-divisions listed. We broke them down into quadrants and spent part of each day looking at them. We looked at many area's and sub-divisions and have the area now pretty well nailed down, we liked the Lake Forest and Legacy Cove area. The only concern we had is that both Zierdt rd. and Martin rd. are 2 lane roads and there seems to be quite a bit of growth going on and are concerned that future traffic will overwhelm the roads capabilities. Any ideas if there are any plans to widen these roads in the future?

Bridge St mall pleased my wife as it had many of the stores she likes with some nice restaurants and movie theatre. We went downtown and to 5 points but it was Sunday so there really wasn't a whole heck of a lot going on but it looked interesting.

What's the name of that old BBQ place on University in Madison? Man 'o man was that good!

All of the people we met were very nice and all were happy to spend a few minutes answering questions and giving opinions.

All in all I'm glad we spent the time to come back there and we are now in agreement that this is something we are going to do. So now I need to finalize the job transfer, sell our current house, decide on a new one and get the builder going and about a million other things to remember to do.

If you are reading this and happened to answer some questions from a couple of confused looking people in the last few days - thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
There are several BBQ spots in that area and most are really good. You will have to be much more specific, sorry. My favorite Alabama BBQ spot is still over in Decatur at Big Bob Gibsons. It is better than the Bob Gibsons and even a bit better than the Dave Gibsons. Do a google on Big Bob Gibson and you can read up n his history.

I don't know of any plans to widen those roads anytime soon. There were plans to work on Sullivan/Wall Trianna. I have been away long enough to be out of touch of the current status. They were still widening a few choke points when I left town.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:40 PM

871 posts, read 2,886,966 times
Yes, Zierdt will be widened someday and get an interchange. I would search al.com - Everything Alabama for old news stories on the plan.

Madison is also planning to put a mall there on that vacant property on the SW Corner of Zierdt and I-565. Details are at:
Huntsville Development News: "The Peaks" waiting on interchange approval

Copies of the master plan for the new mall can be found here:
DeBartolo Development (http://www.storetrax.com/DeBartolo/showProperty.do?centerId=12656 - broken link)

Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM

410 posts, read 1,654,555 times
Just keep in mind that plans to widen any road someday in Alabama might be decades later. They've been widening 53 since the 80's and only now is the project moving. But overall traffic flow in Huntsville isn't that bad, with a few notable exceptions.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken View Post
What's the name of that old BBQ place on University in Madison? Man 'o man was that good!
There are several, but my favorite is Thomas Pit. Those ribs are amazing.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,726 times
Ya there is Thomas Pit and Smokey's.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Ya there is Thomas Pit and Smokey's.
Thomas Pit's, that's it. Fantastic food!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 AM

871 posts, read 2,886,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken View Post
Thomas Pit's, that's it. Fantastic food!!!
When you come back, check out Big Bob Gibson's - it is the best around...
Barbecue, barbecue ribs, food recipe, barbecue accessories, chicken wing sauce

Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM

Well I got a call today asking me to fly back there this week for an interview. Things are moving along nicely - getting excited!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,726 times
Congrats & Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area