Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times

Advertisements

Hello

I just had a quick question I'm hoping to learn more about.

What is the general attitude of locals towards accepting northerns who relocate to Huntsville?

I'm currently in NY State (no not even close to NYC I'm in the normal part of the state if there is such a thing) and I'm looking to flee this state and their political policies and their far ideals. I promise I won't bring NY politics with me other than to warn people about them

I'm looking to bring my family and raise them in a place that is pro God gun life and country. The NY governor has made it very clear I'm not welcome in his NY . I'm generally a very easy going live and let live person with strong conservative/libertarian ideals I don't ever judge others or tell them what I think unless they ask.

I would want my family to fully integrate into the local community. I just hope we wouldn't be shunned or anything. I've like pretty much every single person I've ever met from AL. hopefully we would just be viewed as Yankees not damn Yankees.

What are the attitudes towards those who relocate? If anyone here is a transplant what was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,033 times
There are a number of Northerners that have moved here due to Redstone Arsenal and Marshall Space Flight Center. We don't shun anyone from the North unless they are obnoxious and unpleasant individuals.

The only requirement is to pick a team when you are here--Alabama or Auburn. Alabama would be the best choice. :-)

Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbabe View Post
There are a number of Northerners that have moved here due to Redstone Arsenal and Marshall Space Flight Center. We don't shun anyone from the North unless they are obnoxious and unpleasant individuals.

The only requirement is to pick a team when you are here--Alabama or Auburn. Alabama would be the best choice. :-)
That pretty much sounds like a life altering choice...

Roll tide...

War eagle...

Oh man. Which one gets more coverage in the Huntsville area? I guess I would go with whatever more people supported

Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
When I moved here from Ct in the 70s it was a very different thing. Nowadays, if you're going to Huntsville, there's no prob at all. I think most of the population in Huntsville is from elsewhere these days. Most of the smaller towns outside of Huntsville is where you'll find more Southern bred and cornbread fed natives and they have always been friendly in my experience.
And, I never picked a team, lol... Roll Eagle!!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Huntsville is full of transplants, so no problem at all.

Don't worry about picking one of the aforementioned teams. I've been here 50 years and still stick with the school I attended. It's not necessary to pick the winning team ... being a fan of them is easy.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys

Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Huntsville is full of transplants, so no problem at all.

This. At my last job I was the only person in my group born & raised in Huntsville.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

I'm looking to bring my family and raise them in a place that is pro God gun life and country.
You will fit right in here. Come on down.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:51 PM

55 posts, read 63,582 times
I am from Rockland County, NY and I moved to Huntsville 4 months ago. People here are very nice and welcoming. Despite the bad rep northerners have I have not come across any stereotyping.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:56 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You'll be fine if you can accept the heat and humidity. Most NY'rs would experience some culture shock. I suspect it might be more like homecoming for you. You'll like the difference in taxes and intrusiveness of government, especially if you get out in the county and away from city zoning and rules.

When I grew up, Vermont was a republican conservative state. There are ways in which Alabama reminds me more of the way Vermont was than what Vermont has turned into these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area