Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
The news media is supposed to report the news. Not put spin, not put opinion, nor to educate in my opinion. They are not educators. They are supposed to be reporters. Most are now commentators.
Fair enough, except that news IS educating us about what is happening around us all the time, and a news story is by definition a small model of a larger event, so bias will creep in by what is NOT said, despite best intentions.

I remember when TV news was real news. Often it was so boring that after the lead stories I would just shut it off. TV news became entertainment first, because of the huge financial gain from better ratings in prime time. Radio and printed media followed. The standards concerning reporters showing obvious personal bias is in flux. Watch the national news now, and the relatively neutral reporting there during the major stories... until you watch the feel-good or human interest story used as a kicker. The desk jockey will then show the appropriate emotion to humanize the show.

I agree that the patronizing attitude of local news, and especially the weathrcasts has become so extreme that it is a farce. "I want all of you in Eva to go to your safe place now." Really? Would you like feedback on exactly what I would like you to do now, and with what, and how deep? My parents died years ago, and I was working while you were still soiling your diapers. Learn to use the language without the use of imperatives, and stick a pin in that ballooning ego. I'm expecting some of the current generation of kids to develop fetishes for wearing football helmets in the bathtub whenever it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Fair enough, except that news IS educating us about what is happening around us all the time, and a news story is by definition a small model of a larger event, so bias will creep in by what is NOT said, despite best intentions.

I remember when TV news was real news. Often it was so boring that after the lead stories I would just shut it off. TV news became entertainment first, because of the huge financial gain from better ratings in prime time. Radio and printed media followed. The standards concerning reporters showing obvious personal bias is in flux. Watch the national news now, and the relatively neutral reporting there during the major stories... until you watch the feel-good or human interest story used as a kicker. The desk jockey will then show the appropriate emotion to humanize the show.

I agree that the patronizing attitude of local news, and especially the weathrcasts has become so extreme that it is a farce. "I want all of you in Eva to go to your safe place now." Really? Would you like feedback on exactly what I would like you to do now, and with what, and how deep? My parents died years ago, and I was working while you were still soiling your diapers. Learn to use the language without the use of imperatives, and stick a pin in that ballooning ego. I'm expecting some of the current generation of kids to develop fetishes for wearing football helmets in the bathtub whenever it rains.

We are not in disagreement.
I also remember when you couldn't tell which side of the aisle a newscaster sat on. Local or Nat'l.

It all makes me remember the song by The Eagles, Dirty Laundry about the news industry.
My husband was a news junkie and a political commentator and I have a strong aversion to the news anymore. I haven't watched it since he passed in late Oct '17. If something important enough happens, I hear about it and others are always talking about what's going on. I'm better off not sitting here getting my blood pressure up listening to their garbage and what that particular network or reporter (loosely used word) thinks or opines.
And you are definitely correct in that they slant the news also by what they don't tell you.

(regarding local weather...absolutely... one previous weatherman needed a private room every time a severe storm was moving thru, I could barely stand to watch him...felt like a voyeur)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: